Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A thread for Bitch to bitch about Rupert Murdoch

Originally Posted By: cantos
Fulham struggle to get interest in a game played in Fulham let alone anywhere else in the world

Cantos - How long have you been following the Cottagers and been going to Stevenage Road, it's just that I work with a Fulham fan called Gary Collier and wondered whether you knew him

I have supported them since 1969,but i do not know you work mate.

My cousin was club secretary at Fulham so watched a lot of games from the Cottage itself so rarely was in the Fulham end.

I used to work at Fulham most match days when i was old enough and was fortunate to meet a lot of great players.

I'm surprised as Gary was at your Rochdale's, Hartlepool's, Darlington's and Torquay's before My Fayad and Kevin Keegan turned it all around and he also still talks fondly about the good old days of of Marsh, Best and Moore and the 1975 cup run, I'm sure your paths have crossed. I bet you have a story or two to tell on the quiet.

Our paths probably crossed somewhere along the way,but i have never been good with names.

The Marsh and Best days were special and was pure entertainment,but i was not a fan of Marsh off the pitch.

I also worked with Hugh Grant on the groundstaff,but he was a bit of a [****!!****].

What was your first ever game at the Cottage, I think my first visit there was in 1969 when they played Arsenal in the old first division

• 2 weeks later...

anyway, now I have rediscovered this thread, here is a simple fact !

Pre-Sky.....25% of football league revenue went to the clubs outside the top league.

2 seasons ago, it was down to 8%

thanks SKY, thanks Premierleague and thank you Richard Scuadmore

(you can replace the word thanks, to another one of my choice !)

it's all about greed and money now, yes, it was always heading that way, but SKY accelerated it...short-termism, no thought for the long term future of the game, or the local communities that work from the grass roots

grrrr

• 3 weeks later...

angry From today's Daily Mail angry

Sky are TV champions in the big Euro fight

By CHARLES SALE - More by this author » Last updated at 22:40pm on 17th March 2008

Comments Comments

Rupert Murdoch's Sky Sports have blown their television rivals out of the water by capturing four out of the five Champions League packages in the first round of the tender.

Sky's smash-and-grab raid, which will cost them £80million a year for the three seasons of the new contract starting in the 2009-10 season, gives them the first and second choice of games on Tuesday night, the second pick on Wednesday and the remaining bundle of matches.

Scroll down for more

roma v man u

Sky's the limit: Sky will get the pick of Champions League action

But UEFA have kept back their showcase package — the first pick of the Wednesday night programme — for a further hugely competitive tender which will be decided on Thursday.

This will feature a heavyweight battle between BBC, ITV and Sky, who want a clean sweep of the Champions League to re-establish their position as the dominant football channel following the loss of a third of live Premiership games plus England and FA Cup matches to subscription rivals Setanta.

However, the BBC are just as intent on winning some Champions League games, even at a premium price, which will inevitably cause a storm among licence payers.

ITV, who have covered the flagship tournament since its revamping as the Champions League 16 years ago, are also prepared to pay the maximum amount for the prime package.

Their only problem is that Wednesday is Coronation Street night and even elite football does not attract as many viewers as Corrie.

UEFA's marketing agents TEAM already have a massive bid from the Beeb on the table, but believe all three TV rivals are capable of upping their offers.

The final tender is likely to bring in at least £70m a year, valuing the extended 17 days of action at well over £4m a game and ensuring UEFA achieve their target of £150m a year for their Champions League rights.

An intriguing sub-plot is that ITV probably need the Champions League to tempt BBC's Adrian Chiles to take up their £750,000-a-year offer to become the football face of the network.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/ar...in_page_id=1779

angry Dirty, greedy bleepers! angry

I personally object to BBC spending licence fee money to show this grossly over hyped dross! Final, yes, group games ,no!