Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FAO JJ

Obi tournament didnt go too good. Mini Krooner lost all 3 bouts. Was a little too keen on his first two and got caught both times. Last bout he did well and was well on top only to get dumped in the last second. He wasnt happy about losing all 3 but he will be back. The poor lad is blessed with his fathers pace but I have to say I was impressed with his speed of the mark and I can only presume that is to do with Judo cos it is feck all to do with me smile

Tell your lad not to worry. It would be unusual for someones first tournament to end in victory. At least he had a good 3rd fight. Something to build on now. Were the children separated in weights or was it done some other way? Weight is so important in judo as it is in boxing too. It can be a massive advantage if someone is a few kilos heavier.

I fought on Sunday at the Ipswich Senior Open. I won my weight of Under 66kgs as i only had 1 fight due to various people pulling out at the last minute. The organisers decided to amalgamate U60kgs with U66kgs and i won that too.

With only having had 5 fights and travelled over 130 miles to fight i also entered the Open weight category for more contests.

I managed to win a silver only losing out to the eventual gold medallist who weighed in at a staggering 130 kgs (20 stone).

I beat 5 other Open weight players who all weighed in excess of 81 kgs. A good day in all except the injury i picked up against the 'big fella'. We both landed off the mat during a throw and crashed into the scoreboard in which i damaged my ankle on the scoreboard quite badly. I'll be a huge doubt for tommorow's game away to Horley Town. Gutted as they do a good spread after the match. Sausages and chips!!

Gussy......

Seems as though Winnie Graham's name was down to fight at U66kgs as stated in the programme at the event. A dickie bird informed me he couldnt get a lift to the venue...............................either that or he bottled it when he heard i was in it!!!!! What do you think???

Did it on height JJ. Couple of people I was with said they normally do it on weight. To be fair he got beaten by a couple of guys who had done it before, one of them being a mate of his, and he was just too keen to win it quickly rather than waiting for a chance. Did it in his 3rd bout and was unlucky. Came close to dumping his opponent on a couple of occasions then slipped with seconds left and got dumped himself.

Originally Posted By: Krooner
Did it on height JJ. Couple of people I was with said they normally do it on weight. To be fair he got beaten by a couple of guys who had done it before, one of them being a mate of his, and he was just too keen to win it quickly rather than waiting for a chance. Did it in his 3rd bout and was unlucky. Came close to dumping his opponent on a couple of occasions then slipped with seconds left and got dumped himself.

You just cant organise a tournament on height. Its so unjustly. Players that look the same height are not always the same weight and as i said before..weight is so important. Its not a fair way to do it and not a good way to keep children in the sport.

I ran a tournament last Sunday (9th March) and we weighed each and every child and entered them all in exact weight order. I had 12 girls and 43 boys. They were in groups of 4, each child got 3 fights and every child got a trophy and a certificate for their efforts and everyone went home with a smile. I dont suppose Camberley did the same did they??

As I said JJ I was told they normally did it by weight. Perhaps someone forgot the scales smile

Each child gats an obiman and earn points from their fights. 3 points for a win, 2 for a draw and 1 for a loss. Extra point for a certain type of throw. Each 10 points gets your obi man up a belt. Idea is to get him to Black Belt.

Lil' Krooner enjoyed the fights just didnt enjoy the waiting around. 3 fights in 3 hours. Luckily for me there was beer smile

We fought our competition in sections.

2 weights on at a time. As soon as the 2 weight categories had completed all their contests (est. 30 mins) we done the Trophy presentations and they were free to get on with the rest of the day. Most of them stayed though to watch the rest of the Judo.

Originally Posted By: johnnojudo
We fought our competition in sections.

..... and there was me thinking you did it in some sort or 'ring'

bolt