Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

THE END FOR HOLMER GREEN?

An anorak was at Holmer Green's game with Hertford Town and gives a helpful update on the sad situation at Watchet Lane which is more than Horace or HTFCew did when they got home:

Spartan South Midlands Premier

Holmer Green 0 Hertford Town 3

My third Moltenballs Premier game in 11 days. Three grounds which wouldn't pass step 6 and an aggregate official attendance of 106, into three figures only because Holmer Green's official count was 42 - head counts during the game ranged from 18 to 24.

There've been recent reports on here from Osborne and Barnsley Dave; admission still

I apologise for failing to provide a first hand update before you posted, Rhodes. Please forgive me. I believe that i spoke to your "anorak" - he would be most put out to be so decribed!

The chairman, a thoroughly decent chap, has invited the fat lady along to sing, as he is at his wits end to know how to keep the club going (insert any number of other club names here). Others at the club wish her to keep quiet for now. Having escaped a bottom two finish now, who knows?

I expect to be visiting Watchett Lane again next season.

Horace - Thanks for having the decency to apologise, will HTFCew be doing likewise. I was perfectly serious as I'm sure all SSML fans are waiting with bated breath to hear whether Holmer Green will still be plying their trade at Watchet Lane in our league next season. It's disappointing as there must be a number of very wealthy businessmen in the afluent area who wouldn't miss X number of pounds whereas it would be a life saver for the local Football Club, I'm also sure something could be arranged whereby the Club receive some sort of income from the lucrative bar which I believe is regularly packed to the rafters.

Can't say I've ever seen the bar "packed to the rafters" its usually about 40 players & spectators plus half a dozen playing indoor bowls (if you're there midweek)

I have seen the red kites before though. It would be a shame to lose Holmer from the league altogether as they're a decent bunch, but I know going back only 2 or 3 seasons their players were paying subs to play first team football so it doesn't appear to be an overnight problem

Any news on Holmer Green, do we know the outcome of the meeting at Watchet Lane on 7 April and where they will plying their trade next season

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Any news on Holmer Green, do we know the outcome of the meeting at Watchet Lane on 7 April and where they will plying their trade next season

The meeting was well attended, and excellent refreshments were provided, I'm told. As is usual at these meetings, I understand that many had much to say, until it came to open your wallet time.

This is up there amongst the most friendly, hospitable clubs, and I personally hope that they decide to stay in the SSMFL. They really don't have much option, actually. Buckinghamshire has no county league, so the drop in standard would be dramatic. They would be ok in SSMFL for one more season, but the real issue is the ground "improvements" required for the minimum grading requirements (even for Step 6).

• 3 weeks later...

I heard on the grapevine from a reliable source last night that Holmer Green will be carrying on regardless next season in the SSML Premier Division, that's got to be great news

Yes but I got it from the horses mouth, namely Bill Scholes, at the Premier Division Cup Final last Tuesday, Holmer Green is still very much close to his heart and I'm sure he would still like to be at Watchet Lane pulling the strings if truth be told.

• 4 weeks later...

According to the Non League Today Website Holmer Green are very much alive and kicking:

Holmer Green manager Jason Weinrabe is upbeat about the positivity running through his Molten Spartan South Midlands League club at the present time.

Weinrabe (pictured) has confirmed to nonleaguedaily that their is a great deal of genuine optimism and a new focus to the Watchet Lane club`s activity following a successfull AGM, its Centenary Dinner and the recent appointment of his first-team backroom staff.

The Buckinghamshire outfit showed remarkable fortitude to preserve their Step 5 status with a late run that saw them avoid the drop zone. And off the field they won the battle to preserve their standing as a senior club following an April EGM that has seen the Greens unite under one banner instead of having fragmented sections.

Frank Francies, formerly of the club`s youth section, will, as newly-installed chairman, look to put a spring in the step and guide an outfit that has punched above its weight for some considerable time on the playing front to be a lot more professional overall, being backed up by a new committee presently in the process of full implementation.

Wycombe Wanderers` Adams Park hosted the club Centenary Dinner for which Weinrabe commended:

• 2 weeks later...

I see that there is an update of the situation at Watchet Lane on the Non League Today Website which sounds very encouraging: See link below