Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

THE END FOR HOLMER GREEN?

I think this is another example of how the population is shifting further away from the old days when local communities supported their local clubs. There is no reason why a village side such as Holmer Green shouldn't get the support of its local community and have a big enough average attendance, support for functions, etc. to survive comfortably.

Sadly, it is just becoming another place on the ever expanding commuter belt and is becoming populated by people who work in and around London for the salary but have had to look a bit further out for affordable housing. These people's roots lie elsewhere and they feel no affinity to the local football club. Holmer Green is by no means the only place where this is happening.

So if they do withdraw how might this affect promotion / relegation? I think in previous years it has meant that one of the relegated teams gets a reprieve...

Yes, there has always been a tendency to reward failure at the bottom of the higher division above success at the top of the next rung down.

Mind you, I suppose the thinking behind it is that clubs who finish in promotion places can find it a struggle at the higher level so clubs finishing lower than that will find it even harder, whereas the club in the higher division already has experience at that level. Not sure it's the right attitude, though.

Football Man - You make a good point but I don't necessarily agree as there must be lots of local folk able and willing to step into the breach and help out, it is also a very afluent area and the Club could easily go out with a begging bowl door to door, in a Jehovas Witness fashion, if you don't try you don't get. No I think the blame for Holmer Green's sad demise of late lies firmly at the Club's door who are clearly not doing enough to get people involved, they had a lucrative friendly with Wycombe Wanderers recently so should have built on that, why not try to set up a partnership with Wycombe in a similar way Kentish Town have with Arsenal.

Originally Posted By: NeutralFan
So if they do withdraw how might this affect promotion / relegation? I think in previous years it has meant that one of the relegated teams gets a reprieve...

NeutralFan - I did see your post but purposely didn't bite, if two Club's aren't promoted from Division 1 this season then there will be an outcry unless of course, in the unlikely event, Stony Stratford finish first or second and that would be a lovely 'out' for the League. I believe New Bradwell St Peter would be eligible for promotion now following their large grant for improvement, it's a shame they have shot their bolt albeit not unexpected.

ICUJimmy - Well how long have you got. Firstly New Bradwell St Peter's squad was never strong enough to sustain a nine month season and they have come up short although fair play to them for almost going the distance. Secondly I know there were excuses for their, or should I saw your, 6-0 home defeat to us but any team who loses 6-0 at home during a season is not usually promotion material full stop, I also note there have been 4-1 and 1-0 home defeats to Amersham Town and Arlesey Athletic respectively so I think it's a case of well done but must try harder next season, obviously not when you're playing against us though.

Fair comments about games lost but on what grounds do you base your 'never strong enough squad' on. What do you know of the squad? Do you know who has been signed in the last few weeks or months? Did you know who was in the squad at the start of the season? Mate you know nothing but talk a hell of a lot.

ICUJimmy - So you are a New Bradwell St Peter fan then. I know you have a Reserve team however I believe the majority of the players are very young and still wet behind the ears and there is no outstanding talent in that team capable of breaking through into the First Team to compete at the higher level. Your defeats this season have born that out in that when you have been short of players through injuries or no shows you've lost, Winslow United recently was another example. Hector Varela has all this in his dossier and far more, why do you think I've been banned from your Website.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
ICUJimmy - So you are a New Bradwell St Peter fan then. I know you have a Reserve team however I believe the majority of the players are very young and still wet behind the ears and there is no outstanding talent in that team capable of breaking through into the First Team to compete at the higher level. Your defeats this season have born that out in that when you have been short of players through injuries or no shows you've lost, Winslow United recently was another example. Hector Varela has all this in his dossier and far more, why do you think I've been banned from your Website.

another thread hijacked by Rhodes

It was ICUJimmy who hijacked it not me, was it necessary to quote my entire post. Anyway is there any more news on Holmer Green's plight, I believe that one or two of their old school Committee left the Club last season which was when their problems really started, they were the ones who always kept everything ticking come hell or high water.

Second hand info, but I understand that they are in such dire straits that even relegation to Div 1 is no solution. Our last remaining away game is at Holmer Green, so no doubt we will get the full story then.

Originally Posted By: Horace
Second hand info, but I understand that they are in such dire straits that even relegation to Div 1 is no solution. Our last remaining away game is at Holmer Green, so no doubt we will get the full story then.

Horace - I didn't actualy know that for definite but it seemed obvious, I assume 'big Bill' has gone as Holmer Green were very much a one man band when he was there, similar to John Bacon at Haringey and Special1 at Sport London e Benfica.

Im more than a fan so I am privileged to more information than you K33per. We had a full strength side against Winslow but just didnt play the right formation or style on a heavy pitch against a physically strong team. Our fault entirely.

There are 4 or 5 good young reserve team players breaking through into the first team squad and they are rotated to be on the bench and maybe get a bit of pitch time here and there to give them experience ( A 16 and two 19 yr olds). Amersham put their whole first team out against them last Tues and only scraped a draw.

The depth of our squad is the last problem, just the maturity and a bit more quality is needed.

1-0 against Royston today and the better side by a long long way.

Sorry for highjacking the thread this will be my last post on the subject.

Originally Posted By: ICU JImmy
Im more than a fan so I am privileged to more information than you K33per. We had a full strength side against Winslow but just didnt play the right formation or style on a heavy pitch against a physically strong team. Our fault entirely.
There are 4 or 5 good young reserve team players breaking through into the first team squad and they are rotated to be on the bench and maybe get a bit of pitch time here and there to give them experience ( A 16 and two 19 yr olds). Amersham put their whole first team out against them last Tues and only scraped a draw.
The depth of our squad is the last problem, just the maturity and a bit more quality is needed.
1-0 against Royston today and the better side by a long long way.
Sorry for highjacking the thread this will be my last post on the subject.

all the best ICU yay

An update on the situation at Watchet Lane from the Non League Today Website:

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=49184

I was speaking to Bill Scholes today who turned up at our game and he is not too optimistic about Holmer Green's future, he said that the meeting called on monday evening at Watchet Lane will be key.

It's heartbreaking to look at the attached link and think that those instantly recognisable goalposts might not be standing next season:

http://www.pyramidpassion.co.uk/html/holmer_green.html