Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Statement from Liam Daish on 'Picking the Team'

Originally Posted By: PatMan
Aren't options 2 and 3 basically the same?

Pat - there has been quite a bit of discussion on this on MyFC and members do regard the two options as being different.

Option 2 requires the coach to play the selected team but allows for an occasional change for specific circumstances (like McPhee against Aldershot) with the coach explaining his decision afterwards.

Option 3 does not require the coach to play the team selected - merely to consider it. He would have the flexibility to change the selection for every game as he sees fit.

In effect Option 3 would be closer to Option 4.

How long is the vote for Dom? Do you have any idea how its going?

Poll will last one week

I am waiting with a significant amount of interest for the result - the turnout will also be interesting.

By the way I voted for option 2

Actually, what Liam's proposed is close to what I had hoped...that we'd use the rest of this season to work out the system of picking and communication between MyFC and coaching staff, but Liam's still picking the team for the rest of the season.

I'm anxious to see how the poll result comes back. Maybe we'll discover there's not as big a drive to pick the team directly as some believe. Either way, getting this discussion underway with Liam is a positive move.

If there is a significant vote AGAINST picking the team or for options 3 or 5, do you think that the 'pick the team' ethos might be dropped?

I'm no attorney, but I think that it could be dropped if the members vote to amend that aspect of the society. It would obviously drive away many members who absolutely insist on "pick the team," but if that percentage is a small minority, it shouldn't cripple MyFC in the future. I just really don't know what the poll will bring in, unlike other votes that seemed pretty easy to call.

If there is a significant vote AGAINST picking the team or for options 3 or 5, do you think that the 'pick the team' ethos might be dropped?

No Pat - people paid their money based on being able to pick the team. Option 2 is a good option. the selector will be used for the rest of the season with information and feedback being provided by the coaching staff. I suspect that when it's up and running the team selected by the members will be the same as what Daish himself would have picked or at the very least one he would be happy enough to put on the pitch - at least in most circumstances and on the odd occasion he will still be able to make an alteration. While I didn't join MyFC to pick the team, I do believe it will work and I will fully participate.

I posted this article on the MYFC website last Tuesday...good to see some action.

What Does Liam Think?

by waggamick

Over the years I have had direct and indirect involvement with sporting clubs and organisations in sports ranging from football to rugby union and basketball. I have seen clubs and organisations operating from every perspective including those of a player, a coach, a selector, a paid up member/fan and administrator.

The sense of belonging to any of these clubs or organisations was established through access to their 'inner workings'. Talking to other players, talking to coaches and committee as well as interacting with opposition clubs, more often than not in the bar after training and matches, and reading information supplied via newsletters and circulars gave me a sense of belonging.

I feel that this vital interaction has been a missing ingredient in my MyFC experience. I know very little about my team. This is exacerbated by the fact that being an overseas member sees me missing out on the opportunity to attend matches and chat to long time fans on the terraces or have a chat to players, coaches and administrators in the bar after a game. I can go the EUFC website and pick up some information in precis form but it really doesn't give me a 'feel' for the club and its personnel.

As a remote member I need some form of contact that gives me some degree of the intimacy with the team that a local enjoys. At the same time I am not naive enough to believe that even the best online communication can match the experience of 'being there'.

How can this void be filled?

I want to hear from my manager. I want to hear from Liam Daish.

I want him to tell me what is happening with my team.

I want him to tell me how the team is performing. Are they performing up to his expectations or below? I want him to give me his views on the potential of his players and how their performance could be enhanced. I want to hear about injuries and suspensions. I want to hear about bright new prospects in the junior squad. I want to hear his motivation for taking players on loan or lending them out. I want his opinion on other clubs, their players and the League as a whole. I want to hear his opinions on the team's short, medium and long term future. I want to hear from him regarding recent performances and upcoming matches.

I appreciate the fact that he has done well for the club with our Trophy run but I want to hear how he did it. Is he too busy? Unless he has another job I cannot see why this sort of communication cannot take place on a daily or every second day basis.

I also want to hear from the players. Their hopes and dreams. Their footballing experiences on and off the ground at Ebbsfleet and other clubs. Areas they think they could improve on. Their likes and dislikes. One or two players a week would see some connection established over the next four or five months.

I want to hear from long time fans. Their highs and lows as Ebbsfleet supporters. Thrills and disappointments.

Until this relationship void is filled one cannot help but feel an air of detachment with the whole experience. This detachment shows itself on a broader scale through poor voter turn out and general apathy regarding team selection.

Filling this relationship void is not only urgent it is way overdue.

So, to the question...

We get the following

Originally Posted By: rsheard

I'm no attorney, but I think that it could be dropped if the members vote to amend that aspect of the society.

And

Originally Posted By: doheochai

No Pat - people paid their money based on being able to pick the team.

Good to see unity among the MyFC members! But seriously, it shows how flawed this 'pick the team' concept is.

Good to see unity among the MyFC members! But seriously, it shows how flawed this 'pick the team' concept is.

There are nearly 30,000 members Pat - hardly surprising that there would be differences of opinion on issues.

The 'pick-the-team' concept is not 'flawed' - it's just a different way of doing things. I would have no problem with PTT being dropped if the memebrs decide to do so after a period of use and there is consensus (or near consensus) that it is the correct way to go. But what is vital is that the long-term security, both financial and otherwise of the club, is not impacted negatively by such a decision.