Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hertford Town Reserves?

Have just read the following from Cockfosters FC Website (as they seem to update their website more than anyone) does anyone know if it's true? doah doh

Latest News

Saturday 14th June 2008

S.S.M.L. AGM

The Constitution of the League, as listed in 'League News', for the coming season was confirmed at the AGM. The only changes were that Hertford Town have withdrawn their team from Reserve Division One while Hemel Hempstead Town Res., Division One, will not be joining the League.

It is correct that Hertford Town FC will not be running a reserve side this coming season.

The Reserve Team Secretary resigned, the manager hadn't committed himself to the new season, and the players have, allegedly, got fixed up with first team places at other clubs!

Any Hertford Town Reserve player who wants to stay on and be considered for the first team squad should report for pre-season training on Tuesday 24th June.

What a shame as the Hertford Ressies were a good strong side as they showed in the League and their Manager was a nice bloke doh

Not at all good for the Reserve Prem League doah

Heard that the League are not going to add any teams and will keep with only 11 teams in it, not good at all duck

That's right - the Reserve Div One will have 11 teams playing each other 3 times = 30 games.

That's bound to have an effect on the 1st teams hopes for next season also. Less players to choose from & how an earth are the fringe players going to be matchfit not playing at all ?

Originally Posted By: NeutralFan
Maybe some kind of link up with a non SSML club?

Had I still been in charge at Cuffley, that would have been something I would have beared in mind.
There you go though, it's now fast approaching pre-season & I'm unfortunately going to be kicking my heels now. I got a real taste of what I'm missing when I read the pre-season fixtures in the NLP yesterday. Last summer I wasn't involved by choice, this summer I missing the build up big time !!!

Surely it's going to be hard for Hertford 1st Team Manager to keep his fringe team players happy if there isn't a ressie team to play in each week and to get 1st team players back from injuries will be hard with no ressie team for match fitness etc. and as everybody knows there are times through the season when every team has to rely on ressie players due to injuries in your 1st team - Hard days ahead I think, I hope that they can cope as I have alot of respect for this club!

Originally Posted By: digby
Surely it's going to be hard for Hertford 1st Team Manager to keep his fringe team players happy if there isn't a ressie team to play in each week and to get 1st team players back from injuries will be hard with no ressie team for match fitness etc. and as everybody knows there are times through the season when every team has to rely on ressie players due to injuries in your 1st team - Hard days ahead I think, I hope that they can cope as I have alot of respect for this club!

I agree with the theory of this, but in practice it hardly happened in the last two seasons. Only Sean Crossley moved up from the reserves permanently and the number of other appearances by reserve team players in first team games could be counted on the fingers (and thumbs) of two hands. The Reserves were a club within a club. Only one or two first team players ever appeared in reserve games, with "squad" players filling in for minor cup games etc. The Ressies were an outstanding outfit, doing the club proud, and would have coped well in SSMFL Division One. But to break into a top four Premier Division side is another matter entirely.

• 3 months later...

It would certainly make alot of sense now that Dave Greenwood has left. The club does seem to be in alot of turmoil at present according to my local newspaper. Let's hope they steady the ship & turn things around.

oh you reckon he'll fancy it NF, do you know what Dave Pentecost is upto now ? Hertford had a very good team when him & Brian Owen were in charge.

Originally Posted By: syd_lexic
The club does seem to be in alot of turmoil at present according to my local newspaper

I can't understand why Horace or HTFCew don't simply come on as I'm sure they will refute this story and say everything in the garden is rosey

I don't know if he will to be honest but I've got a lot of time and respect for Steady as he gave me my grounding in mens football.

Don't know about Penters, last seen playing for St Mags vets.