Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Forest Green

Hannah

That sounds about right! Perhaps not 4-1 down, but we could well have been 3-1 down at half time. There were two "How could they not have scored from that?" moments in the first half with Forest Green. We looked a lot more comfortable in the second half and started attacking more.

It should be noted, though, that our third goal was totally against the run of play, with Forest Green putting on consistent pressure after the break and looking like scoring an equalizer was only a matter of time. Thereafter it was fairly comfortable.

The game could have ended in a draw on another day, but Forest Green really shot themselves in the foot with our second, giving the ball straight to Luke and then not putting in a challenge on him as he ran into the box and finished. As a result, them chasing the game allowed us to hit them on the break and finish things off - but only after riding our luck quite a bit as explained above.

What a great result after the ninety minutes at The New Lawn.

We got off to the best of start with easy, quick, on-the-floor passing to get our first goal within two minutes, a blinder from Neil Barrett. The first half did raise a few questions about our tactics and formation. It seemed that the Fleet were playing a 4-5-1 system, Luke Moore dropping into the midfield and Michael Gash on his own up front. It was fortune that the ball was gifted to Luke Moore, and he drive the ball home just before half time.

Forest Green were playing some really good football - quick, snappy passing in some areas of the pitch.

Second half, George Purcell was replaced by Ricky Shakes, and Ricky gave us the pace on the right wing for more attacking options up the field. It was through great passing combinations in the midfield which enabled Michael Gash to get the third goal for the Fleet. Forest Green weren't giving up that easily, they kept on attacking and were unfortunate on a couple of occasions not to get a goal. Thanks to great saves from Lance Cronin and a good defence that Forest Green only had their one goal in the bag.

Michael Gash was replaced by Kezie Ibe, who tapped the ball in after being on the pitch for just seconds to grab our forth and final goal. The afternoon was topped off by a penalty save by Lance Cronin. Like Hannah says, I swear I've seen him save more penalties than conceded.

I think a few others may agree with this, but Sacha Opinel does not seem to be at his best at the moment. He can play a lot, lot better than he has done recently. Kezie Ibe, I would like to see more of on the pitch, and maybe get a place in the starting eleven. Also think the presence of Ricky Shakes boosted the team overall. I think the way it is at the moment, Darren Hand may get chosen over Stacy Long for a starting place. Stacy Long is still playing well, but is not at his full potential.

A great win, we took our chances, Forest Green didn't.

Bring on the Wrexham.

Actually Jeff, in Liam's post-match interview with Chas Webster on RK he mentioned that he had to have a word with Lance at halftime about certain aspects of his play. It seems as if Lance was disatisfied with his own performance and that this was interfering with his concentration.

I note that we had three players in the NLP team of the day -including Lance!