Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Applications for SSMFL

I gather Bethnal Green United might throw their hat into the ring if, in the unlikely event, they're unable to get into the Essex Senior League

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin

level 7 clubs cannot make the ground grading so the esl will take them from wherever they can...

Yes, it's hardly Bethnal Green United's fault that there isn't anywhere for them to go other than the Essex Senior League and they're more than confident that they can handle the two tier jump from Step 7 to Step 5, they're an up and coming Club already raising eyebrows with big ideas for the future and a stadium to match their ambition.

not so it seems...

Spartan League, one of the original London amateur leagues. Joined with London League in 1977-1978,this league renamed Spartan League for 1986-1987, back to London Spartan for 1992-1993 and backto Spartan for 1994-1995.

1950-1951 to 1976-1977. One divsion (SPAR), missing data for 1957-58 and 1958-1959. Division 1 for1950-1951 and 1952-1953. Division 2 for 1975-1976 (SPAR, SPA1, SPA2)

1977-1978 to 1985-1986. London Spartan League, premier and senior (LSPP,LSPS), no senior data for 78/9and 79/80.

1987-1988 to 1991-1992. Spartan League and first divsion (SPAR,SPA1)

1992-1993 to present. London Spartan or Spartan League, Premiesr, first and seconf (LSPP, LPS1, LSP2)

Previous Sponsors: Green King

and the midlands version came first

The Spartan South Midlands Football Leaue was formed in 1922. Originally called the Bedfordshire County League, it changed its name in 1929 to the South Midlands League, following the acceptance of clubs from a much wider area. In 1997 the League expanded when it joined with the London Spartan League, resulting in a much larger League spread over a wider area.

The League is at Step 5 in the Football Association National League Pyramid and covers an area from north London in the south to Milton Keynes in the north, and from Royston in the east to Amersham in the west, and includes clubs from Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, London and Middlesex.

There are 61 clubs in membership in three divisions, plus a reserve section comprising 39 teams. Clubs in the top two divisions compete in the FA Cup and FA Vase.

Since the FA Vase was introduced in 1974, as the successor to the FA Amateur Cup, the League has had four clubs, Hoddesdon Town, Barton Rovers, Arlesey Town and Hillingdon Borough which have reached the final.

and the forerunner appears to be this one....

The London League was a football competition that was held in the London and surrounding areas of south-east England from 1896 until 1964.

In 1896 the president of the London League was Arnold Hills founder of Thames Ironworks F.C. (now known as West Ham United). One of the men who helped draft the rules of the competition was Francis Payne, club secretary of Thames Ironworks F.C. in 1897. The league started with three divisions, the 3rd Grenadier Guards winning the inaugural championship.

The league fluctuated between having a single division and reaching four divisions. Before World War I, most of the senior London Football League clubs fielded a reserve side in the London League.

In 1964, the London League ceased to exist, merging with the Aetolian League to form the Greater London League, which then further merged in 1971 with the Metropolitan League.

its all here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_League

• 2 years later...

I note from another's Forum that Wolverton Town and, wait for it, Hale Leys United have both applied to join the SSML Division 2 next season, I'm surprised nobody has touched on this before. I must confess that I know very little about Hale Leys United other than they ply their trade in the North Bucks & District League Premier Division and play at Fairford Leys, just outside Aylesbury

I note from another's Forum that Wolverton Town and, wait for it, Hale Leys United have both applied to join the SSML Division 2 next season, I'm surprised nobody has touched on this before. I must confess that I know very little about Hale Leys United other than they ply their trade in the North Bucks & District League Premier Division and play at Fairford Leys, just outside Aylesbury

If I ever batter you, it will be for re-opening 2 year old threads, you friggin filing clerk you! Every time, I end up reading what I think is new stuff, only to find that it's years old!flame.gif

Horace - But Wolverton Town and Hale Leys United have applied to join the SSML next season, what are you talking about