Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

We are NOT amused down at the Lane !!!!!!!

In hindsight, I shouldnt have taken a potshot at SA. Thats not what this thread is about so I apologise.

Just wanted to make the point that the SSMFL should value its clubs and try to help them stay in business rather than indirectly force them out, only to be replaced by new teams with no real links to the SSMFL.

I've had my say on this matter already via another thread last month. However, I'm going to bite.

No one, not even Wader has convinced me why we need all these facilities when only 30 (I think) SSML Premier Div games attracted over 100 spectators last season.

Wader responded very eloquently to my original posting regarding Holmer Green's situation but I would still ask why we need to build a ground we will never use.

His line of reasoning seems to suggest that we may draw a bigger club in the F.A Cup and therefore need to be prepared; or we could have an AFC Wimbledon/Combined Counties League situation in 2002 whereby several million people descend on our quaint Bucks village.

I would respond by saying that last season Holmer did not enter the F.A Cup, so that rules out one problem.

When Wimbledon were in The Combined Counties, many clubs much smaller than ours coped very well with the influx, for a one off game, enjoyed the experience and made some good money albeit with the help of the visitors and their ability to provide stewards etc.

As I stated previously, Holmer and Cockfosters provide adequate facilities for SSML football. If I am going to a match on a day when it might rain, I may be tempted to take an umbrella. I am more interested in the quality of the football (and the ability of the home club to provide a playable pitch/eligible players...oops!)

With regards to playing a "big" club. What chance is there of Holmer/Cockfosters etc doing that in the foreseeable future?

There is much more chance of Biggleswade Town (for example) reaching the first round of the F.A Cup and getting a home draw. If that were to happen, with a current capacity of 3,000 I would suggest that they would be precluded from hosting the majority of Div One and Two clubs without making improvements.

Sorry if I'm being boring again, but it's obvious to me that our little grounds are good enough for the level of footy that we played last season. The F.A. make the grading decisions, presumably not based on League attendances but on potential for F.A competitions. So why not simply deny us entry from the Cup and Vase?

God, I only ever seem to come onto this forum for a whinge. Apologies...so while I'm on the subject, did the SSML committee have the decency to contact the relegated clubs to advise them of the decision directly or did they have to find out via the website?

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Originally Posted By: Spidermanor

Of course they're not all bad, after all they kicked the purple helmets into touch didn't they?
wink

Spidermanor - That's the first of your 592 posts on here that I have agreed with.

Right enough's enough !
First of all Cliff give it a rest will you, this thread is about the plight of Cockfosters & nothing to do with SAFC. Secondly Spidermanor what the feck happened to your club eh ? If you spent more time trying to sort your own club problems out instead of bitching about concerns that have nothing to do with you, you might still have a non-league club to follow.

P.S yes I have been drinking, but it just gets on my tits to see all this petty bitterness written on here at times !

Originally Posted By: Jonno
....and a fine pair of tits they are too, Syd wink

Jonno, they are indeed, but you shouldn't be looking ! tongue

Originally Posted By: britman

Jonno,

What a sad statement. Too bad you feel that way.

Britman - You're bound to say that though aren't you having jumped on the Southill Alexander bandwagon.
I think Wader has only succeeded in digging a deeper hole for himself with his follow up post, one thing's for sure he won't be welcomed with open arms at Chalk Lane again

hey Mr Rhodes, will that be like you're you won't be made welcome at (deep breath) Haringay, Kentish Town, Oxhey Jets, Hatfield, Harefield, Southill Alexander & Sport London E Benfica (if they find a ground). How long will it be before Rev. Jerry Springer decides your forum activity is sullying the name of Tokyo Manor & kicks you into touch ?

BTW when are yourself & the rest of the Rhodes clan coming over to 'The Olive Branch' for deep fried testicles & houmous ? lol

Originally Posted By: Zante
hey Mr Rhodes, will that be like you're you won't be made welcome at (deep breath) Haringay, Kentish Town, Oxhey Jets, Hatfield, Harefield, Southill Alexander & Sport London E Benfica (if they find a ground). How long will it be before Rev. Jerry Springer decides your forum activity is sullying the name of Tokyo Manor & kicks you into touch ?
BTW when are yourself & the rest of the Rhodes clan coming over to 'The Olive Branch' for deep fried testicles & houmous ? lol

Tempting Zante, but I'll just have mine lightly sauteed with a side salad, if that's ok with you. cry

How long will it be before Rev. Jerry Springer decides your forum activity is sullying the name of Tokyo Manor & kicks you into touch ?

Zante - Well you tell me, if that happens I just head east to Bethnal Green United. Anyway Tokyngton Manor are a Club very much going places, I may even recommend Clement Temile to them.

How long will it be before Rev. Jerry Springer decides your forum activity is sullying the name of Tokyo Manor & kicks you into touch ?

Zante - Well you tell me, if that happens I just head east to Bethnal Green United. Anyway Tokyngton Manor are a Club very much going places, I may even recommend Clement Temile to them.

At the rate you get through Clubs you'll be the programme secretary of Beijing FC at the Workers Stadium. You'll have to start behaving yourself then comrade. asien

I thought you were going to quote the old Frank Worthington joke there when he listed his previous Club's as the Pinstripe and the Groucho. It's strange isn't it how I get snowed under with offers from Club's at the end of each season to join them however loyalty and 110% commitment is the be all and end all in my book, until I get stabbed in the back that is as was the case at Haringey Borough and Kentish Town.

I think Wader has only succeeded in digging a deeper hole for himself with his follow up post, one thing's for sure he won't be welcomed with open arms at Chalk Lane again

I'm sorry, but as I am not currently associated with any club I felt the time for pussyfooting around this subject was over. I speak as I find with the Cockfosters situation, that is all. I see no reason whatsoever why they should be imune from the grading rules when other clubs have made the effort and spent the money.

My last word on this - never met Wader but, and as someone who has a lot of time for Cockfosters it pains me to say it - he is spot on.

The FACT of the matter is that if Craigy hadn't have taken over when he did, improved the squad and got promotion, the team would have stayed in Div 1, continued to go backwards and this entire debate wouldn't be happening.

Indeed, I suspect the fact that his ambition wasn't matched by others at the club formed part of the reason he left. It's all very well crying over spilt milk but I would love someone from Cockfosters to come on here and tell everyone exactly what was being done to improve facilities, fund raise, be pro-active, make a difference (aside from the planning application).

And regardless of oneknown's comments about games between Broxbourne and Cockfosters the team under Ewing (to be fair through no fault of his own) was a pale imitation of the team under Craigy. No amount of 'standing up to be counted' will ever disguise that and if you think the side that finished this season would be 'mid table in 2010' you're living in a dream world. Indeed, we'll see how they fare in div 1.

Finally, in reference to Willo the Cat's comments, unfortunately you've merely deomonstrated why Kentish Town have the reputation they do (and why they'll probably be joining Fosters in div 1 sooner rather than later). No class at all I'm afraid.

Cerebus - you make sensible points.

I can only say that the ground grading is a fully integrated and structured architecture of club progress. From Step 7 to Football league the process is tailored to a supposed above requirements average need to be ready for acceptance into the FL and the meeting of their grading. The incremental steps have to commence somewhere otherwise there would be chaos and huge random hurdles.

I also believe that clubs like Cockfosters (perhaps not all through their own fault admittedly) do not provide sufficient facilities for their spectators. There is no proper seating at all for instance, immediately putting off families and the elderly. There is simply not enough cover for the rainy days, again putting some off. Some clubs are missing the point in that improvement of faciliies can bring in extra revenue through better attendance.

The grading system is painted on a national canvas. It is not beholdent on leagues to make these rules, but previously has been to maintain them. Sadly, this has not always been the case as leagues have sought protectionism toward their members, in my view doing them no favours at all in the long run.

If Cockfosters had a crowd of 50 in the ground on a rainy day a proportion of those would get wet or make very personal new friends very quickly. The grading system is there to weedle out the won'ts and the can'ts and however harsh that may seem, there have to be standards and until reviewed that stands. We know about them and we sign up to them.

I personally think that covered seating for 100 (it can be in 2 stands of 50 each for example) is perfectly reasonable for Step 5 football. If clubs don't think that, then they have options to play at other levels. No-one is forcing them to play at Step 5, it is their choice alone. Dumbing down across the board though is not the answer and improving facilities should be looked upon as a fantastic opportunity not a churlish chore as some clubs see it - and this is where those clubs have got it seriously wrong in my opinion.

So Cliff are you one of these Marvin Gaye/Paul Young types "Wherever I lay my hat, That's my home" as you have often accused Oracle, Bilbo & Bramley et al ?

Originally Posted By: Bemused
Originally Posted By: syd_lexic

P.S yes I have been drinking

Bishops Finger, Blue Nun or a drop of Communion Wine?

Bemused, sorry old chap I was on the Carlsberg. Out of loyalty to our landlords ground sponsors of course ! drinkies

Originally Posted By: syd_lexic

Bemused, sorry old chap I was on the Carlsberg. Out of loyalty to our landlords ground sponsors of course ! drinkies

CREEP!!!