Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

We are NOT amused down at the Lane !!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: syd_lexic

So Cliff are you one of these Marvin Gaye/Paul Young types "Wherever I lay my hat, That's my home" as you have often accused Oracle, Bilbo & Bramley et al ?

I think it's partly because I'm so full on and expect everyone else to be 100 miles an hour all the time too, I end up rubbing people up the wrong way with that approach but my intentions are honourable I assure you. Tokyngton Manor appear to be very innovative though and forward thinking unlike Haringey Borough and Kentish Town.

So a club could be described as "Forward Thinking" until they have dispensed with your services Rhodes?

Typical!

Once again,it appears that a really decent, interesting thread has been hijacked. I could have had a damned good debate with Wader over our different opinions but petty squabbles, backbiting and insults take over yet again.

Trying to maintain the integrity of the board and thread,I do take on board everything Wader says but still maintain that maybe the grading requirements need looking at from the point of view of LEAGUE football. Why not bar clubs from F.A. Competition if we can't meet standards and leave us to play our bread and butter in front of the regular few?

My arguement has been shot down a bit down by Holmer themselves. New manager Chris Allen, a man I admire greatly and the coach primarily responsible for getting the players in to drag the club out of the mire, informed me last night that the club are going to do everything they can to meet the grading over the next twelve months! He just hopes that the players stay loyal, because from March onwards, they were undoubtedly a top six side. (Discuss?)

I can't imagine how Holmer will be able to bypass NIMBYs and local planning restrictions, but I admire the club for trying.

Originally Posted By: Cerebus
Typical!
Once again,it appears that a really decent, interesting thread has been hijacked. I could have had a damned good debate with Wader over our different opinions but petty squabbles, backbiting and insults take over yet again.

Trying to maintain the integrity of the board and thread,I do take on board everything Wader says but still maintain that maybe the grading requirements need looking at from the point of view of LEAGUE football. Why not bar clubs from F.A. Competition if we can't meet standards and leave us to play our bread and butter in front of the regular few?
My arguement has been shot down a bit down by Holmer themselves. New manager Chris Allen, a man I admire greatly and the coach primarily responsible for getting the players in to drag the club out of the mire, informed me last night that the club are going to do everything they can to meet the grading over the next twelve months! He just hopes that the players stay loyal, because from March onwards, they were undoubtedly a top six side. (Discuss?)
I can't imagine how Holmer will be able to bypass NIMBYs and local planning restrictions, but I admire the club for trying.

Please try and keep this thread for what is was started for !!

Holmer Green was playing some good football, again with alot of young players in their squad, hope their players stay loyal, however I do think that they will be in the same situation as Cockfosters with their planning department, but do wish them good luck

Originally Posted By: samos
So this is were you have been hiding my brother. Have you had any luck yet with finding trials for our boys yet? No, cos you are fannying around with this people.

Talking of the fannys how can you serve up the SSML testicles on the houmous when they have none of the testicles? Get back to the restaurant, we have a big party coming in for the lunchtime.

Sorry Sam, I did have a PM from the Manager of a recently reprieved Premier Div. club (no prizes for guessing who !), but there seems to be just as much hostility to them as Southill Alexander. Willo the Cats post earlier in this thread is a good enough reason why.
Although I like them Alexander The Great was a greek legend. Even though they are not named after him.

Getting back on thread, both Cockfosters & Holmer Green have my sympathies. Yes, rules are rules, but a certain degree of discretion should be placed in the hands of the SSML committee & not the over officious jobsworth ground graders.

Originally Posted By: Zante

Sorry Sam, I did have a PM from the Manager of a recently reprieved Premier Div. club (no prizes for guessing who !), but there seems to be just as much hostility to them as Southill Alexander. Willo the Cats post earlier in this thread is a good enough reason why.

Zante,

The post I made had nothing to do with Kentish Town FC. It was a personal opinion.

Kentish Town are friendly club and have good relationships with the majority of clubs in the SSML. Last year Kentish were put in a very difficult situation and resolved it badly and were rightly punished.

Anyway with out digressing from the thread too much, everyone knew the requirements well in advance of the deadline regardless if we agree with them or not. The rules are the rules and when you break ANY of them you get punished!

Willo - you dont have your own ground you play ringers and still get beat you think 10 points is a harsh a enough punishment? it wouldnt of made a difference if they took all your points away you would still stay in the prem so how is that a punishment?!! did the club get fined as well? id be embarrased to put a kentish shirt on with the way that place is run!! what clubhouse have they got to host guests apart from the little hall with food being served no bar no tele no nothing iv played at better sunday league grounds

Originally Posted By: PeterPan1
Willo - you dont have your own ground you play ringers and still get beat you think 10 points is a harsh a enough punishment? it wouldnt of made a difference if they took all your points away you would still stay in the prem so how is that a punishment?!! did the club get fined as well? id be embarrased to put a kentish shirt on with the way that place is run!! what clubhouse have they got to host guests apart from the little hall with food being served no bar no tele no nothing iv played at better sunday league grounds

Now, now, just calm down.

Yes Kentish Town played some ringers, they got caught, they got deducted points and they would have also been heavily fined. But there is not a single fan or committee member of another non-league club who can criticise them for that. Every club at this level for one reason or another has at some point played ringers, some get caught some don't but we all know it happens.

Neither is ground sharing or playing at an athletics stadium a crime either, it happens in the professional game so you have no basis to criticise other clubs for doing so in this this league. Its unfortunate for Cockfosters that the League have been instructed by the FA to apply the ground grading/relegation regulations this season. But the regulations have been known for several years now, so there is no real excuse for not having it sorted.

Rant over, enjoy your day peeps.

Originally Posted By: Spidermanor

Every club at this level for one reason or another has at some point played ringers,

What utter, utter rubbish!! It's attitudes like that, that are turning the SSMFL into a pub league. Don't tar everyone with the same brush. There are still a few clubs left that play by the rules (although admittedly, they are in the minority these days). However, it seems that playing by the rules is no longer the done thing in the SSMFL and you can get away with what you want if your face fits and you don't pipe up when injustice occurs.

(HOW BITTER AM I TODAY?????)

Hmmmm, Spider, I seem to be clashing with you a lot today!!!

I try not to post personal opinions on forums, as it tends to create animosity. I prefer polite sharing of information!!

however, Jonno, I have to express my agreement with you. I have been seriously involved with non League footy as player and administrator for over forty years and although currently no more than an interested supporter, if any club I was involved with EVER knowingly played a ringer,I would resign immediately.

It is immoral, unnecessary and defeats the whole point of competition.

I spend my professional life trying to convince kids not to cheat. We must never accept it. That's one reason why I think that a points deduction is not a fit punishment for playing ineligble players. No club is run by one man. If a ringer is named on the team list, there has to be collusion from other people. The punishment for this sort of behaviour should be automatic relegation.

(Ooops, another personal opinion. Sorry, folks!)

Tricky one, although a deliberate policy is of course abhorrent. I say tricky because I have known clubs who have got it wrong and been chucked out of cups because of it. They have been mortified by their genuine error. But the old adage is a sound one. 'Never trust one word that a player or manager tells you. Check, check and then check again'.

There really can be no excuses though and the change in the rules relating to loan players and cup matches was spot on. The biggest stumbling block that still trips up even the great and the good is the international clearance. I've applied for just 5 during my time in the game and only 2 of those came through clear - eventually.

Jonno and Cerebus are absolutely right about systemic cheating though. No place in our sport for it whatsoever, in any of its guises.

It may appear petty, but in my vocabulary there is a world of difference between "ringer" and "ineiigible."

Mistakes can be made at any level, but the term "ringer" suggests complicity - Knowing that a player is not who he is claimed to be.

It may appear petty, but in my vocabulary there is a world of difference between "ringer" and "ineiigible."
Mistakes can be made at any level, but the term "ringer" suggests complicity - Knowing that a player is not who he is claimed to be.

Agreed, I should have quoted Wader talking about the loan system. We're lucky to have 4 teams in the club to call upon for players. In the majority of cases our reserves, 3rd & 4th can sign people on before the game as well

Not petty at all mate, rather crucial actually. Whilst fielding an ineligible is a rather silly thing to do, it is often done so accidentally. Playing a ringer however is done so with full knowledge of the manager and/or the club and should be penalised with the heaviest of penalties, in my humble opinion.

Originally Posted By: Willo the Cat

Ringers suggest that Kentish went to win the games rather than to field a team to get the game on

Clearly Kentish Town wanted to win games in order to avoid finishing bottom as at that time nobody had an incling about the travesty of justice that would later unfold.