Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Slow

The only annoying thing about the new forum is the slowness of it all. Nothing else has changed in my set up here but it takes 5-6 seconds for a page to load, whether it be the main forum page, an individual forum or a thread or reply page. It's not as if there are loads of graphics to load up or anything (that I can see through my work filter anyway) so not sure why it seems so cumbersome. It is annoying enough to make me consider not coming here as much.

Must admit though this is only on IE, haven't tried yet on Firefox.

I have not heard this from anyone else to be honest.

Can you let me know the following please...

1) Browser (IE7, IE8, IE6 etc.) (We do not guarantee IE6 and below due to their age - but do our best)

2) The numbers that you see towards the footer (i.e 11 Queries, 0.66 & 0.1873 secs) - to the right of the skin and language drop downs

3) Operating System - XP, Vista, Mac, Windows 7 etc.

4) Which forum you are running it from.

I would strongly consider downloading firefox, Chrome, Safari 4 or Opera 10

We are utilizing an advanced search engine here as well, which will take the strain off searching, and using caches where possible.

Many thanks.

I have also reduced the number of forums on the home page - this should also speed things up for you.

I am seeing pages loading in around 0.2 of a second - if I can improve that I will.

I can assure you that 2 years ago we were loading pages in 5 or 6 seconds sometimes!

I will also see what I can do to optimise the tables etc.

I should add that I experience this problem both at home and at work so I am assuming that it is a general problem and am surprised that nobody else has mentioned it before today.

I too was having this problem. It was frustratingly slow! I thought it was the price we had to pay for the upgrade. After reading this thread i've now downloaded FireFox and the speed is so much better. It's only taken a few minutes to download.

Thanks

LOL - IE8 has only just come out. ;)

Many might be on IE6 - but that is no longer supported fully as it is two versions old & progress continues with scripts etc.

I am going to start optimizing the tables tonight and doing some server changes behind the scenes over the next day or two.

However if people can post the info requested above it would really help. It can tell a lot.

Just to give you an example Ian - I timed how long it took me to navigate from this thread to the Combined Counties forum, go to the bottom of the page, note the details and get back here to reply took me 3 minutes and 2 seconds.

1) Browser (IE7, IE8, IE6 etc.) (We do not guarantee IE6 and below due to their age - but do our best)

2) The numbers that you see towards the footer (i.e 11 Queries, 0.66 & 0.1873 secs) - to the right of the skin and language drop downs

I would strongly consider downloading firefox, Chrome, Safari 4 or Opera 10

1. IE6

2. 9 0.50 0.2242

3. XP

4. Combined Counties

Like I assume a lot of people I mostly view this site from work where I have no control over what OS or browser I use. At home I use Firefox and everything is faster (although I haven't tried this site recently)

Ian,

I'm currently with BT Yahoo and this site has gone extreamly slow. Not sure what IE we have.

0.2937 sec 0.38 14 queries GZIP Enabled

OP Sys is XP

this forum.

(to reply to this message has taken about 3 mins in total.

I gave up at work today. The server at work is already extremely slow and, with the unresponsiveness of this site at the moment, trying to read any posts was absolutely hopeless today. I did manage to note that my work pc uses IE 6.0 and runs on XP Professional. The home page was showing 6 queries, 0.98 & 0.1985 secs. About a minute later, the latter two figures had changed to 0.55 & 0.2010 secs.

I have stripped out most of the hooks now - we are running fairly basic.

Can you please let me know if.....

It has made no real difference

It has made a slight difference and is now slightly faster

Wow - that is much better

It is now even slower

I am also employing someone to tweak behind the scenes on the server.