Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Last League game

Teflon

Due to the rain and now the snow Bookham's last league game was at Guildford on the 21st November and we've only played 1 game last Tuesday against Chessington & Hook in the Surrey Senior cup !!!!!! which was played at the 3rd attempt !!!!

Anyone else had as many games home and away postponements like this. :bartshocked:

Due to the rain and now the snow Bookham's last league game was at Guildford on the 21st November and we've only played 1 game last Tuesday against Chessington & Hook in the Surrey Senior cup !!!!!! which was played at the 3rd attempt !!!!

Anyone else had as many games home and away postponements like this. :bartshocked:

To be fair the dorking pitch ain't the best but throw 2teams playing home games on it and the weather being the way it is,postponements are to be expected,egham,cwfc,bedfont sports are all experiencing problems none as bad as cove.to coin a frase by a famous singer "that's life".jj what's the news with cove pitch

To be fair the dorking pitch ain't the best but throw 2teams playing home games on it and the weather being the way it is,postponements are to be expected,egham,cwfc,bedfont sports are all experiencing problems none as bad as cove.to coin a frase by a famous singer "that's life".jj what's the news with cove pitch

Wasn't just the Dorking pitch Smashie, one game was at Wembley (which was a surprise) and the other was at Ash which was called off by the match ref with eveyone at the ground ready to play, no complaints from the teams.

Wasn't just the Dorking pitch Smashie, one game was at Wembley (which was a surprise) and the other was at Ash which was called off by the match ref with eveyone at the ground ready to play, no complaints from the teams.

'CALLED OFF BY THE MATCH REF WITH EVERYONE AT THE GROUND READY TO PLAY, NO COMPLAINTS FROM THE TEAMS' INTERESTING. ON A PREVIOUS THREAD I RECALL SANDHURST (TC) COMPLAINING WHEN THEY WENT TO MOLESEY ONLY FOR THE REF TO CALL THE GAME OFF AN HOUR BEFORE KICK OFF SO I READ, IT'S JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS. EVERY CLUB IN THE CCL NEED FUNDS TO SURVIVE DURING THESE HARD TIMES AND THATS ON MATCHDAY, SO CAN YOU BLAME THE MOLES FOR TRYING TO GET THE GAME ON AS MAJORITY OF THE OTHER GAMES WERE CALLED OFF? THEY MUST HAVE THOUGHT THAT IF THEY DO GET THE GAME ON THEY WILL GET A BUMPER CROWD WITH EXTRA REVENUE FOR THE CLUB, THAT MAKES SENSE TO ME, I EVEN TURNED UP!

PERSONALLY I THINK YOU HAVE TO APPLAUD THE MOLESEY GROUNDSMAN IN HIS EFFORTS TO GET THE GAME ON FOR THE REASONS MENTIONED. TC YOU SAY THAT ITS AN INCONVENIENCE WHICH TO A DEGREE I AGREE, BUT WHAT WOULD THE PLAYERS BE DOING IF THE GAME WAS ON, YOU'D BE AT MOLESEY ?

SOMETIMES WE HAVE TO LOOK AT THE SCENARIO FROM BOTH SIDES WHICH I THINK I HAVE, AN INTERESTING DEBATE,

I wonder if any clubs feel that they called off their Boxing Day matches too soon?

We could have played at CWUFC on Boxing Day apparently (we were meant to be away on Boxing Day however).

I see Hanworth Villa drew 1-1 with Bedfont. What was the pitch like there?

As for this Saturday............ :451:

I went to Molesey on the 19th along with another poster on here - we pulled into the car park just as the Sandhurst players were leaving.

I didn't see the whole pitch but the part I did see had no snow on it at all. Of course the ground may have been a little hard but does that matter?

Referees are given guidelines by the FA regarding calling matches off and they're very much open to interpretation. I know people's perception of things and the facts are often very different but I'm sure games weren't called off as easily as they are these days in the past whether for rain, snow or frost.

Are the refs scared of being sued in case of an injury? I don't think so as the only case I can find is a rugby player who got seriously injured in 2003 and sued the ref - not for allowing the game to go ahead but for allowing a contested scrum when the rules stated he shouldn't have done.

One ref I know said that they have to take account of the ground and local roads when considering whether to postpone a game. The FA agree they have to look at spectator standing areas but, according to the HSE, it's the club (as the employer), local authority or HSE themselves who have the responsibility of making sure the ground is safe and the LA are responsible for the roads - it doesn't come within the ref's remit according to them therefore they can't be sued if someone has an accident on their way to, or at the ground.

It makes me wonder whether the refs are protecting the players, punters or themselves. I'm sure they'll say they've got a duty of care to protect all three.

That's not a dig at refs - I realise they're in a no-win situation in these cases but more a dig at the FA. I think there needs to be a re-write of the guidelines with more specifics added rather than words that are open to interpretation. After all, games in mainland Europe still go ahead in conditions that wouldn't be allowed in this country today and they've got the same laws as us in football and, thanks to the EC, a lot of the same or similar laws in the courts as well.

Sorry if that's a bit long - I just think these things need looking at. Other people may not agree.

I would refer you all to a phrase that precedes many F.A. rules.

"If, in the opinion of the referee................"

In principal, a light surface ground frost is not a problem as football-studs break through into softer ground. If the pitch has been subjected to heavy long-term frost, then the soil below the surface is also frozen, not unlike concrete.

Of course, referee's will always cover their backs as they should, bearing in mind the present day climate ofr suing for any and everything !

Here endeth the Bank Holiday lesson ! :coffee (2):

'CALLED OFF BY THE MATCH REF WITH EVERYONE AT THE GROUND READY TO PLAY, NO COMPLAINTS FROM THE TEAMS' INTERESTING. ON A PREVIOUS THREAD I RECALL SANDHURST (TC) COMPLAINING WHEN THEY WENT TO MOLESEY ONLY FOR THE REF TO CALL THE GAME OFF AN HOUR BEFORE KICK OFF SO I READ, IT'S JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS. EVERY CLUB IN THE CCL NEED FUNDS TO SURVIVE DURING THESE HARD TIMES AND THATS ON MATCHDAY, SO CAN YOU BLAME THE MOLES FOR TRYING TO GET THE GAME ON AS MAJORITY OF THE OTHER GAMES WERE CALLED OFF? THEY MUST HAVE THOUGHT THAT IF THEY DO GET THE GAME ON THEY WILL GET A BUMPER CROWD WITH EXTRA REVENUE FOR THE CLUB, THAT MAKES SENSE TO ME, I EVEN TURNED UP!

PERSONALLY I THINK YOU HAVE TO APPLAUD THE MOLESEY GROUNDSMAN IN HIS EFFORTS TO GET THE GAME ON FOR THE REASONS MENTIONED. TC YOU SAY THAT ITS AN INCONVENIENCE WHICH TO A DEGREE I AGREE, BUT WHAT WOULD THE PLAYERS BE DOING IF THE GAME WAS ON, YOU'D BE AT MOLESEY ?

SOMETIMES WE HAVE TO LOOK AT THE SCENARIO FROM BOTH SIDES WHICH I THINK I HAVE, AN INTERESTING DEBATE,

I think you'll find that I did commend the groundsman for trying to get the game on, my bug was the arrogance of not getting a referee in to do a pitch inspection in the morning, like every other club in the South of England.

If it had been the other way around, I am sure that Sandhurst would have been given a hard time by the Molesey people.