Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Arbeit Macht Frei (Work Sets You Free)

I watched it again last night despite it clashing with Porkies and The Full Monty on other channels, I could watch the film 24/7 which is why it's so strange LATO has never seen it

I was so moved by the film I prefer never to watch it again, even though its one of the greatest films ever made.

• 1 year later...

I see that David Cameron took time out of his busy schedule to make a visit to Auschwitz this week and lit a candle in memory of the millions of holocaust victims, you have to applaud him don't you:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2868409/Cameron-pays-visit-Auschwitz-warning-never-forget-murdered-here.html

I see that David Cameron took time out of his busy schedule to make a visit to Auschwitz this week and lit a candle in memory of the millions of holocaust victims, you have to applaud him don't you:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2868409/Cameron-pays-visit-Auschwitz-warning-never-forget-murdered-here.html

The cynical bastard saw it as a great photo opportunity, nothing more, nothing less.

Missunderstood - That's a bit harsh isn't it, if that was the case then why go to Auschwitz of all places, he could have gone anywhere for a photo opportunity

• 2 weeks later...

I see that there are 101 rules and regulations when visiting Auschwitz, have any members visited recently out of interest:

Rules for visiting the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum.

The following Rules for visiting are valid until December 31, 2014.

1. The grounds of the Museum, the landmark structures, and all other items on the grounds make up an integral whole, protected by law. It is forbidden to move, remove, or damage any of the structures or items on the grounds of the Museum and under its protection. 

2. Visitors may move around the areas of the Museum designated for that purpose.

3. On the Museum grounds, visitors should behave with the appropriate solemnity and respect. Dress should be appropriate for a place of this nature.

4. The Museum is open to visitors all year with the exception of January 1, December 25, and Easter Sunday. Opening hours change on a seasonal basis.

5. No one is permitted on the Museum grounds outside opening hours without permission from the Museum director.

6. For reasons of safety, conservation work, or other special circumstances, access to areas or buildings on the Museum grounds may be restricted or prohibited by decision of the Museum director.

7. Entry to the Museum grounds is free of charge. This does not apply to the services of guides, the borrowing of audio equipment, or the screening of documentary films.

8. Organized groups of visitors are required to hire a Museum guide. The maximum number of visitors per guide is 30, and groups of more than ten visitors are required to borrow audio equipment. Individual visitors may hire their own guide or take advantage of the opportunity of joining a group with a guide.

9. From April 1 to October 31, entrance to the grounds of the former Auschwitz I camp during peak visiting hours (10:00 am To 3:00 pm) is permitted only with a Museum guide. This restriction does not apply to the grounds of the former Auschwitz II-Birkenau camp.

10. Entry to the tower of the main gate at the former Auschwitz II-Birkenau camp is available only to groups with a Museum guide. Groups of up to 30 persons may enter the tower. The tower is open during the Museum opening hours.

11. Special regulations apply to the organizing of ceremonies and gatherings on the grounds of the Museum or in its buffer zone. The consent of the Museum director is required for all such ceremonies and gatherings, including cases where the voivode of Lesser Poland has granted permission. 

12. Photography and filming on the Museum grounds is permitted exclusively for private, personal use. Under no circumstances may such photographs or films be used in any context or undertaking that infringes upon the good name of the Victims of Auschwitz Concentration Camp. Flash photography and the use of tripods are not permitted inside buildings. Photography and filming are not permitted in the room containing Victims' hair, in the cellars of block 11 and inside the gas chamber building.

13. Photography and filming for commercial purposes requires the consent of the Museum director and a signed agreement.

14. Visits to the Museum by children under the age of 14 are not recommended.

15. The imperative of preserving the historical authenticity of the Museum may make it difficult for disabled persons to move around the grounds and buildings. Wheelchairs, as well as guidebooks (in Polish) for the blind and the visually impaired, are available at the Visitor Service Center.

16. While on the Museum grounds, visitors must follow instructions from guides and Museum Guards. When moving around the grounds, visitors must respect posted instructions and be particularly cautious because of special conditions (including uneven floors) resulting from the historical authenticity of the site. In winter, visitors should not deviate from marked routes.

17. Persons under the influence of alcohol or any other substance, or behaving in a way that violates the commemoration of the victims, endangers the security of the collections, archives, or original camp objects,  disturbs other visitors, or violates the accepted norms for public behavior, are prohibited from entering the Museum grounds.

18. Large items of baggage or backpacks are not permitted on the Museum grounds. The maximum size of baggage, backpacks or purses that visitors may carry on the site is 30x20x10 cm. Visitors are requested to leave their baggage in their buses or cars. Baggage storage is available for a fee in the Visitor Service Center during Museum opening hours. Museum Guards may ask that handbags or other small items of baggage be opened for inspection of their contents. Persons who refuse to leave their baggage in the storage area or to open it for inspection will not be admitted to the Museum grounds.

19. Smoking and the consumption of food and alcohol are prohibited on the Museum grounds. 

20. No vehicles of any kind are permitted on the Museum grounds except for wheelchairs or in cases where the Museum director has granted permission. Infant carriages and strollers may not be used at the site of the former Auschwitz I camp. 

21. No animals may be led or carried onto the Museum grounds with the exception of guide dogs for the blind and visually impaired, declared upon admission.

22. The lighting of candles inside or in the immediate vicinity of buildings and the carrying of open fire anywhere on the Museum grounds are prohibited.

23. Carrying or erecting banners, offering anything for sale, posting notices or advertisements, and all commercial activity without the required permits are prohibited. 

24. Carrying, flying or waving flags on poles is not permitted.

25. Firearms, other weapons, and objects or substances that could pose a danger to life, health, or safety are prohibited. In specially justified cases, the Museum director may grant permission for the carrying of firearms or other weapons on the grounds.

26. Entry onto the Museum grounds constitutes acceptance of these regulations. Legal measures as provided for by the applicable statutes will be taken against persons who do not follow these rules.

http://en.auschwitz.org/z/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

I actually read right through it, Rhodsey.

It all seems to make good sense to me.

One of my cousins has been there when he was in the armed forces and said it was an awe inspiring experience.  He told me you don't realise until you get there, just how LARGE the whole complex is.

Edited by Big J R

Big J R - Interesting, I've never been there myself but certainly intend to in the future, apparently LATO has never visited either.