Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Respect Campaign in Tatters?

Having watched yesterdays showpiece F.I.F.A. Final with their respect boards on show.Televised to Millions of People round the World,surely the only conclusion one can come too is the Campaign is Finished.A Referee with no bottle,constantly surrounded by Players when they did not agree with his decisions,baying for fellow Professionals to be booked or sent off.This knocks a big hole in Krooners argument about the standards of Players/Officials is what you get.These were supposed to be the best on the Planet,ROLE MODELS to lesser beings.Must say I have seen less thuggery up Purley Way on a Sunday Morning when the Dog and Duck were playing the Ex Cons.WIN AT ALL COSTS SEEMS TO BE THE NEW MOTTO that FIFA should adopt.The game was a Disgrace to Football.

I must admit that I didn't watch the match, but I have read the reports in the press this morning, and no doubt, will watch 'potted-highlights' at a later date.

Surely, the obvious answer is for F.I.F.A. to declare that the team/countries responsible, will be excluded from qualifying for the next World Cup ?

However, I doubt that Blotter and Co have got the bottle !!!!

coffee%20(2).gif

Edited by Big J R

B.J.R. The game should be rated OVER 18's ONLY,so that the youngsters do not get to see it.A Horror Movie,chest high tackles with intent,blatant abuse of the Referee.DO NOT LET KIDS SEE IT.Make's the C.C.L. look like a kindergarten.Even a few new tricks ANIMAL could learn.

Edited by Smudge

With 15 cards shown, I would hardly say that the ref bottled it!!

Van Bommel would not of seen half-time in any C.C.L. Match,our excellent Referees would of sent him off for an early bath.Must say though the 2 Linesman where excellent.Almost up to my standard.

I thought Webb had a really good game but the players made it so difficult for him.

He couldn't win either way. If he had followed the letter of the law Holland would have had at least

4 players sent off. He would have been slaughtered for this !

He used a bit of common sense and fortunatley the result went the right way.

Steve, so Football's about,the letter of the law,or luck that the right result came in the end.So using that scenario N.G.U. Were fortunate to go up,As their application was out of time,i.e not following the rules laid down.But in the end got the right Result,because Cherstey were unlucky in their Appeal.No such thing as the right result,it's the rules that should be followed,and they were not.

I think Steve has hit the nail on the head there. Thankfully Howard Webb was able to show a degree of common sense, erring on the side of caution (ha, geddit?) in the first half. The foot to the chest incident was indeed bad, but if you watch the replay, Webb is positioned behind the incident so won't have seen it straight on. It amazes me that the Dutch team have the audacity to complain about the refereeing when his decision not to send off their players stopped the game becoming a farce (and a walkover for Spain).

Steve, so Football's about,the letter of the law,or luck that the right result came in the end.So using that scenario N.G.U. Were fortunate to go up,As their application was out of time,i.e not following the rules laid down.But in the end got the right Result,because Cherstey were unlucky in their Appeal.No such thing as the right result,it's the rules that should be followed,and they were not.

Based on your comments what should have happened last night ?

To get it into perspective, the Times analysed about 25 major decisions made on the night and they only came up with one actual error I think, which was the goal kick given to Spain that was a corner. The bookings were all correct, but the severity of the punishment - or lack of it - was questioned in the case of De Jong. The rule with regard to bookings being carried forward were changed by FIFA to mean that a booking in the semi final could not rule a player out of the final, as we all basically want to see the best players in the final to make it a better quality spectacle - so the theory goes. The over-riding view is that the referee was trying his level best to avoid red cards - something I believe he had done all World Cup - and rightly or wrongly chose to shows discretion in at least two of the cases. I must admit that the De Jong incident really should have been red regardless of the occasion. Was he wrong to do that? Two sides of teh argument - (1) had he sent the two cheating Dutch off the game may have become a farce by half time (2) had he at least sent De Jong off it may have put a stamp of authority on the game and changed the obvious fight, sorry game, plan the Dutch hatched up.

Bottom line - the Dutch have been diving and cheating all World Cup - Van Bommel has got away with murder all tournament and they were a disgrace. Spain even started to get in on the act at some point but did still manage to get a lid on things and play some football and get us the right result. The referee was left in a difficult position because you actually had a team trying to win the World Cup Final by kicking their opponents off the park, whereas they ought to have been trying to emulate the great Dutch sides who gave us total football. The really good sides, when coming up against opposition with specific strengths, came up with a system or style of play to combat that. Germany seemed unstoppable going forward, then Spain set themselves up to thwart this and they looked ordinary. England sneaked through with a 1-0 win against poor opposition and decided to play the exact same team to play Germany, lost the midfield completely whilst two forwards hung around up front scratching their arses, and got stuffed.

The World Cup in general was rubbish, with Spain and Germany the two shining lights, so many so called stars never shone and the pitches left a bit to be desired. The best team did at least win it and we can all now go back to watering our pitches solidly for the next month and then wondering in November where all this water is coming from.

Finally, how did NGU/Chertsey get involved in this - that's all done and dusted now.

To get it into perspective, the Times analysed about 25 major decisions made on the night and they only came up with one actual error I think, which was the goal kick given to Spain that was a corner. The bookings were all correct, but the severity of the punishment - or lack of it - was questioned in the case of De Jong. The rule with regard to bookings being carried forward were changed by FIFA to mean that a booking in the semi final could not rule a player out of the final, as we all basically want to see the best players in the final to make it a better quality spectacle - so the theory goes. The over-riding view is that the referee was trying his level best to avoid red cards - something I believe he had done all World Cup - and rightly or wrongly chose to shows discretion in at least two of the cases. I must admit that the De Jong incident really should have been red regardless of the occasion. Was he wrong to do that? Two sides of teh argument - (1) had he sent the two cheating Dutch off the game may have become a farce by half time (2) had he at least sent De Jong off it may have put a stamp of authority on the game and changed the obvious fight, sorry game, plan the Dutch hatched up.

Bottom line - the Dutch have been diving and cheating all World Cup - Van Bommel has got away with murder all tournament and they were a disgrace. Spain even started to get in on the act at some point but did still manage to get a lid on things and play some football and get us the right result. The referee was left in a difficult position because you actually had a team trying to win the World Cup Final by kicking their opponents off the park, whereas they ought to have been trying to emulate the great Dutch sides who gave us total football. The really good sides, when coming up against opposition with specific strengths, came up with a system or style of play to combat that. Germany seemed unstoppable going forward, then Spain set themselves up to thwart this and they looked ordinary. England sneaked through with a 1-0 win against poor opposition and decided to play the exact same team to play Germany, lost the midfield completely whilst two forwards hung around up front scratching their arses, and got stuffed.

The World Cup in general was rubbish, with Spain and Germany the two shining lights, so many so called stars never shone and the pitches left a bit to be desired. The best team did at least win it and we can all now go back to watering our pitches solidly for the next month and then wondering in November where all this water is coming from.

Finally, how did NGU/Chertsey get involved in this - that's all done and dusted now.

Very well put and I agree...worst world cup in years...

most hype worst ever world cup,The ref had a good game in the final (yes Kroons i did say the ref had a good game) we need our players to be more phsical like the Dutch its our only chance of ever winning anything again,I don't care what people want to hide behind we can't compete with the nations at the top level and trying to pretend our overpayed pre-madonas in the England team will play thier way to winning something is Bollix.