Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Guildford 2 Windsor 2

mattwefc

A game of goal keeping mistakes, a draw in the end probably a fair result although somewhat disappointing considering how we had started the game. Goals from Ben and then Yash in a very good 1st half performance up until they got the goal back from a corner, possible foul on bully but quite hard to tell and ball bundled in once he failed to take the cross.

2nd half we sat back and invited pressure rather than keep pushing on and a lot of desperate defending at times, but there was always a body in the way. as for the penalty the ref might not have given it originally but there were numerous fouls in the box once bully lost it so i dont really have any complaints. i don't see why we sat back as that was possibly the most disappointing part of it all as i dont recall us having a decent 2nd half opportunity.

also i know the referee wasnt the best, but we picked up so many yellow cards for gobbing off at the ref! why!! you gain nothing from it, and when we get players suspended for numerous bookings we dont exactly have the players to step in and replace them! that ref yesterday wasnt going to change his mind so i dont see what calling him a **** or whatever does for anyone!!

i'd have taken a point before hand, but somewhat disappointed after a first half hour that promised so much!!

Well, you were playing the top !

I would have thought a point away at The Spectrum was a reasonable result

Admittedly, we didn't create a lot 2nd half because the tactics seemed to be, defend deep but there were occasions when we could have killed the game off e.g. Yash 5 mins into the 2nd half clean through but shot straight at the keeper.

Having said that, can somebody honestly tell me exactly why the penalty was given because all I saw was 2 Guildford players collide in the box, the ball was cleared to half way then the linesman decided to dance around as though he was on hot coals? Result, he got the refs attention and got the penalty, I am not surprised our players went ballistic because it seemed a bit soft from my excellent location!

Aside from that, we battled well and should be happy with the performance......

i thought that atleast one if not 2 of their players were bundled over trying to get the ball when bully spilt it, so that's what i thought it was given for.in a crowded area like that you need to be careful when clearing the danger and i think we simply made a mess of it! as for the lino he was flagging for a good 15-20 seconds before the ref noticed him, so i have to assume he was flagging for something before the ball was cleared.

i'm happy with a point but disappointed that we didnt keep going and try to kill it off once and for all which im sure a 3rd goal would have done. they put us under pressure in the second half but that seemed to be, in my opinion, only because we sat back. it appeared as though our players were knackered in the closing stages which was quite worrying. we seemed to sit back midway through the second half at camberly as well, rather than drive on to get more, so i'd love to know if theres a reason for that because i cant believe that it would be tactical, especially against a side with 10 men or a side thats top of the league?

Edited by mattwefc

I'll be honest when I walked out of the ground on Saturday I was massively disappointed, but I think that's typical when a 2 goal lead is surrended. In the cold light of day however, I would have definitely of taken a 2-2 draw before the game. Conceeding right before half time is always the killer as it gives the opposition the impetus to take into the second half. Did we defend too deep in the second half possibly, but I can understand the reasons for it. We were 2-1 up, and we were away to the team that are top of the league, protecting that lead would have been the priority for me rather than go gunning for a third and opening ourselves up at the back. Guildford had some quick players and big pushes forward could have been suicidal. As it was they did score late on, but that's football it happens. But bottom line is we would all probaby have been happy to have taken a point before the game and a point is what we got. No complaints about the result from me! The one question I would pose though is over the last few games we have not had a full quota of substitutes on the bench, I always think this is strange, as even with unavailable and injured first team players, would this not be the ideal opportunity to put one or two youth team players on the bench, give them the experience of a first team environment, something for them to aspire to achieve and a realisation of what is needed in the future to play first team football at Windsor. And having a body on the bench is better than no body at all (unless it's malcolm!) I know we've had some youth team players make appearances earlier in the season, but it seems strange now that when we may be struggling for numbers we don't plug some of the gaps with promising youngsters. Just my thoughts!

Watched the Youth Team tonight under the tutelage of Mr Woodham. They looked excellent. Scored after just 28 seconds, were fast, direct, took people on, comfortable on the ball and very confident. Had to leave at halftime, but we have some VERY promising youngsters who may well benefit from being with the First Team on matchdays, and maybe get a run out if (sorry 'when') we're dominating games. Well done Mick!

I think we played well on Saturday against an unbeaten side on a pitch that didn't look too clever and quite a wind going.

Let's not forget that the Guildford team has played together for the last three seasons - and we had at least five injuries. It really bodes well for us as a team that continues to go from strength to strength. Got to be said - shame about the ref eh?!

I'll be honest when I walked out of the ground on Saturday I was massively disappointed, but I think that's typical when a 2 goal lead is surrended. In the cold light of day however, I would have definitely of taken a 2-2 draw before the game. Conceeding right before half time is always the killer as it gives the opposition the impetus to take into the second half. Did we defend too deep in the second half possibly, but I can understand the reasons for it. We were 2-1 up, and we were away to the team that are top of the league, protecting that lead would have been the priority for me rather than go gunning for a third and opening ourselves up at the back. Guildford had some quick players and big pushes forward could have been suicidal. As it was they did score late on, but that's football it happens. But bottom line is we would all probaby have been happy to have taken a point before the game and a point is what we got. No complaints about the result from me! The one question I would pose though is over the last few games we have not had a full quota of substitutes on the bench, I always think this is strange, as even with unavailable and injured first team players, would this not be the ideal opportunity to put one or two youth team players on the bench, give them the experience of a first team environment, something for them to aspire to achieve and a realisation of what is needed in the future to play first team football at Windsor. And having a body on the bench is better than no body at all (unless it's malcolm!) I know we've had some youth team players make appearances earlier in the season, but it seems strange now that when we may be struggling for numbers we don't plug some of the gaps with promising youngsters. Just my thoughts!

Greggs, I've been thinking about the comments regarding only having 3 substitutes. As you have commented, this could be down to availability, injuries, suspensions - not knowing how many Windsor have in the main 1st team squad. It could also be to reduce the players budget for Saturday by excluding 2 players finally, it was a 6 pointer playing the top of the league and having watched Guildford, they bully teams and officials, are very strong, so in my opinion maybe not for the any Youth team player to get involved however, there is no harm in putting youth team player/s on the bench for experience as one would assume they do not get paid.

Just my thoughts !

I think we played well on Saturday against an unbeaten side on a pitch that didn't look too clever and quite a wind going.

Let's not forget that the Guildford team has played together for the last three seasons - and we had at least five injuries. It really bodes well for us as a team that continues to go from strength to strength. Got to be said - shame about the ref eh?!

Oh didn't you know Kipps, The Spectrum along with The Arena are the best grounds in the division..........lol !!!