Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

RACISM

Ace1

A few years back i was down at my local social club and there was a friend who regularly used the word 'Monkey' which was directed at friends if they'd been a bit stupid or dopey etc etc! (just like young people these days use the word 'rinsed or FAIL')

The word MONKEY caught on a bit with me and my vocabulary and I would be using the word regularly with my friends as banter!

Back then I was playing for Ash in a pre season friendly one afternoon. I think I was about 22 years old and still relatively new to football banter and still very immature! I fouled a black lad and he complained to the ref and tried to get me booked and I responded with 'F**k off you Monkey!' He pulled the racism card to which I had absolutely no idea what he was going on about. He was telling the ref that I was being racist and was attempting to get me sent off to which the ref either didnt hear or ignored it.

I absolutely was not being racist and because I was so used to using the word around my friends, it just came out.

Im quite sure that with racism high on the agenda in football right now, I would have been disciplined for it even though it was totally innocent.

Just thought I would share that with you all.

i let a player at a ccl game this season have a piece of my mind! he was on his way for an early bath for committing a bad tackle. the player on his walk down the sideline was cursing about the white player who he felt had made a meal of the tackle. the abuse was terrible, racist and offensive and his reply to my rant was he was mixed race and could say what he liked. what made it worse was that kids were present including my own and were exposed to this barrage of racist and offensive abuse!

there is NO place for racism in football!!

and although the crowds may be small! all players in the ccl should respect the fact that people pay to watch and should take some responsibility to make sure they are not subjected to racist or offensive language.