Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

RACISM

Ace1

The lad is only 8, so cant see him being afraid to say black lad if he saw the lad as black. He just saw through the difference in the colour of the skin. He is usually quite forthright with his views.

Too easy to play the race card these days in all sorts of ways. Is more a society problem that spills into football.

SF, must agree with you. Too many use 'race' to hide something that they have done or haven't done or to try and detract from something. This not only infuriates people, of all races, it de-values incidents that occur that have credibility and breeds resentment.

I worked in southall an had the racist card pulled at work on me without going in to detail when the fella realised it came out as a load of b@ll@cks he duly left i nearly lost my job over it

I'm interested to see that John Terry's your idol lol ;)

lol probably not good on this thread

I have many views on this subject so may unfortunately get shot down for it but here goes.

I see no reason why you cant say pick up the black lad when referring to marking someone. Sometimes you cannot see the number on a shirt and need to be quick in your instructions so cant wait until the number on the shirt is clear. Also, many people are not literate or educated enough to be able to use acceptable certain words to describe someone of mixed race, or Asian, or whatever. It's not always clear whether an opponent is chinese, Japanese, Pakistani, African, Indian etc.

For me, as long as you are not directing an insult or being rude to someone or using a certain added word to your description then I have no issue with it. (eg: You black C**T or you white piece of S**T).

As your race and your parents cannot be chosen for you, I see it very different to calling someone a ginger T**T, or a blonde PR**K, or a Midget, or a lanky C**T. Even though still unacceptable, it is much different than abusing someone because of their race or skin colour. This is something that definitely cannot be changed and quite often in the minority. Yes height is usually a gene thing but at times can be helped with certain methods as is weight.

Unfortunately, abuse and being mean and rude to our fellow humans is natural and has been going on forever. Its a shame that we have to be this way but its just a part of our society.

We all have our own opinions and when someone upsets us or abuses us in some way, deep down we think horrible mean things and deep down abuse them in our own thoughts. The racist people are the ones that let the bad stuff fly out of their mouths to insult someone.

I have many views on this subject so may unfortunately get shot down for it but here goes.

I see no reason why you cant say pick up the black lad when referring to marking someone. Sometimes you cannot see the number on a shirt and need to be quick in your instructions so cant wait until the number on the shirt is clear. Also, many people are not literate or educated enough to be able to use acceptable certain words to describe someone of mixed race, or Asian, or whatever. It's not always clear whether an opponent is chinese, Japanese, Pakistani, African, Indian etc.

For me, as long as you are not directing an insult or being rude to someone or using a certain added word to your description then I have no issue with it. (eg: You black C**T or you white piece of S**T).

As your race and your parents cannot be chosen for you, I see it very different to calling someone a ginger T**T, or a blonde PR**K, or a Midget, or a lanky C**T. Even though still unacceptable, it is much different than abusing someone because of their race or skin colour. This is something that definitely cannot be changed and quite often in the minority

>>>>>>Yes height is usually a gene thing but at times can be helped with certain methods as is weight.

JJ are we talking here of some personal experience that you must have encountered many, many times !

Unfortunately, abuse and being mean and rude to our fellow humans is natural and has been going on forever. Its a shame that we have to be this way but its just a part of our society.

We all have our own opinions and when someone upsets us or abuses us in some way, deep down we think horrible mean things and deep down abuse them in our own thoughts. The racist people are the ones that let the bad stuff fly out of their mouths to insult someone.

Edited by NICE GUY

water off a ducks back !

Good, being called 'names' sometimes helps players making them try harder wanting to prove the offensive player wrong, Normally in my playing career, I found little players were the dirtiest, but how else are they to protect themselves. Thru' football history, lets look at some of the so-called small ''nasty'' players: I will start off with a few - Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles (clever), Nobby Stiles, Jimmy Johnston, ............JJ.... lol !

never have i ever been a dirty player.

Feel free to look at my disciplinary record:

3 yellows max a season and never been suspended for totalling 5 bookings in a season.

1 dubious red card last season which I have tried to forget.

water off a ducks back !

Good, being called 'names' sometimes helps players making them try harder wanting to prove the offensive player wrong, Normally in my playing career, I found little players were the dirtiest, but how else are they to protect themselves. Thru' football history, lets look at some of the so-called small ''nasty'' players: I will start off with a few - Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles (clever), Nobby Stiles, Jimmy Johnston, ............JJ.... lol !

I assume you mean Jimmy "Jinky" Johnstone, the legendary Celtic winger. I can't believe you think he was a nasty player. I was would say he was fouled 10 times more than he ever fouled anyone.

water off a ducks back !

I assume you mean Jimmy "Jinky" Johnstone, the legendary Celtic winger. I can't believe you think he was a nasty player. I was would say he was fouled 10 times more than he ever fouled anyone.

FSB yeah I was and you are correct, but sorry he was no angel, but then again who can blame him for the amount he got kicked !!!

At least Blatter has apologised for his comments.

This talk about racism reminded me of an incident I experienced a few years back playing cricket. One of the oppo players had a son with Downs Syndrome. We had a black guy in our team as well as a Pakistani. The young lad came into our dresing room and, on seeing our black colleague in a state of undress uttered the immortal words "@@@@ing hell, he's black all over!" Needless to say, every one of us burst out laughing. No offence was meant and none was certainly taken.

Then there was a game I was watching when fellow supporters were giving racist abuse to an opposing player. I stepped in and asked what they thought one of our own black players would think of the abuse. The response was they typical "But he is one of ours!". I told them exactly what I thought of them and their comments. Funnily enough, I didn't hear it repeated.

As for off the cuff, spontaneous comments as mentioned above - pick up the big black lad, I see nothing wrong with this. This is stating a fact. Much though depends on the context applied.

Has the level of racist abuse reduced over the years? I would say yes. I remember going to professional football in the 1970s and 1980s and the levels now can not be compared. As for non-league football, I can safely say that I have never experienced racial abuse of any kind - and I first started watching non-league football in the 1980s. What has happened since then is that society has changed and the level of profanities has increased. Swearing is very much an every day fact of life and I can not see this diminishing at all. Even TV programmes like The Hotel Inspector is riddled with profanities which would have been unheard of 10 years ago.

The question is, how do we stop the rot?

Johnnojudo, why did you feel it necessary to mention Ken During? He seems to be the only current CCL player mentioned in this thread? He is a damned fine centre back, and as far as I am concerned that is all that matters. Writing as the only gay man (as far as I can tell) at the club, and certainly where I work, I find all pigeon holing distasteful. When I was a kid living in Englefield Green there was one family in the whole of the estate who were not white; one day I called the younger girl in the family (same age as me) "chocolate box" and got an instant smack round the chops from her. It taught me a lesson. Racism stinks, Sepp Blatter is an idiot, and anyone who thinks his apology is heartfelt is deluding themselves. When I started supporting Egham Town in the early to mid 70s there was one player in particular who made his racist views well known but little, if anything was done about it. I am fairly sure that that would not now be the case. I have only had one adverse comment about my sexuality (from Reg Leather); fortunately he did not last long with Egham, although it had nothing to do with homophobia. What worries me about this thread is that it was always going to go the way it has, with petty prejudices easily aired.

Edited by tempestward

Any form of verbal abuse that is used with intent to offend or anger is WRONG, be it against race, colour, religion, sexual orientation.

I take everybody as I find them, be they black, green, hindu, jewish, homosexual, lesbian, (yes - There is a fair amount of that in womens football), asian, African, West Indian.....

A couple of seasons ago, DFC was predominately a coloured side with a coloured manager, and I have to admit, I did hear some disgusting comments from visiting supporters. I'm sure a certain regular poster of this forum will remember.

Edited by Big J R

All abuse that is meant to hurt is wrong no matter who it is aimed at or what is said. There are posts on this forum and other intended to do exactly that.

If you call someone a C**T aggressively I find that as bad as if the word Black is put in the middle. If I heard someone call someone an idiot then problem no problem but put the word black in front of that then is is different.

I use black here as an example but there are a number of words that can be used in its place.

Johnnojudo, why did you feel it necessary to mention Ken During? He seems to be the only current CCL player mentioned in this thread? He is a damned fine centre back, and as far as I am concerned that is all that matters. Writing as the only gay man (as far as I can tell) at the club, and certainly where I work, I find all pigeon holing distasteful. When I was a kid living in Englefield Green there was one family in the whole of the estate who were not white; one day I called the younger girl in the family (same age as me) "chocolate box" and got an instant smack round the chops from her. It taught me a lesson. Racism stinks, Sepp Blatter is an idiot, and anyone who thinks his apology is heartfelt is deluding themselves. When I started supporting Egham Town in the early to mid 70s there was one player in particular who made his racist views well known but little, if anything was done about it. I am fairly sure that that would not now be the case. I have only had one adverse comment about my sexuality (from Reg Leather); fortunately he did not last long with Egham, although it had nothing to do with homophobia. What worries me about this thread is that it was always going to go the way it has, with petty prejudices easily aired.

I mentioned Ken During because that was the sort of thing he would say! What's your problem with that?? Think you have misunderstood me!

I am actually a very close friend of Ken and extremely pleased he's doing well at Egham.

If I called a black person 'coloured' he'd happily be the first to correct me that he is in fact brown! Ken takes racism as serious as the next person and has even on occasions felt let down by certain other 'coloured' players for their poor attitude and racism towards 'white' people. I remember he once said about a coloured fellow team mate at Cove "it's people like him that gives us black people a bad name!"

One thing Ken quite enjoys about being black is the regular teasing we gave him about being very long in the shower! He regularly played up to it........