Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 2 Alton Town 1

Swifty

At last, a home win! Okay, it's the Aldershot Senior Cup, but a win nevertheless.

Good victory against an Alton Town side who came to play football and, although the game had a bit of the feel of a training match, it was still competitive, both sides wanted the win, and it was nice to see a game played in the right spirit with very little foul play or dissent.

Alton shaded the early stages and I thnk they deserved their 26th minute lead, athough it was controversial, as Scott Sanderson looked a couple of yards offside when receiving the through ball before slotting home, although someone nearer the clubhouse and more in line with play said Josh may have played him on. Before anyone thinks I'm having a downer on Josh, I agree with Beano that he gave a good, solid performance.

The main worry about our play was the profligacy in front of goal, Most of our early efforts were either way wide or tamely on target. However, by the time Ash scored a deflected 38th minute equaliser, we'd done enough to deserve to be back on level terms.

We dominated possession and had considerably more efforts in the second half than Alton, who still caused a few scares and made Macca work hard for the crosses (bit surprised Windy didn't get an outing, actually), and we settled it in the 68th. A lovely raking through ball down the right wing by Kiri, a perceptive cross by Ash, a wonderful tip away by keeper Craig Atkinson (who'd pulled off a fantastic reflex save earlier) which probably deserved better luck but Kofi poached the parry and slotted home adeptly from a tight angle.

Now for either Farnham Town or Four Marks in the semi, with the potential of Farnborough in the final if we make it. The only down side for me was winning second prize in the raffle (my first win since the Combined Counties League cup tie against Walton Casuals in 1999/2000 season) only for the prize not to turn up. :angry: Daryl's promised I'll get it at the Leighton Town game on the 28th, so make sure you've got a nice bottle of wine for me! B)

Edited by Swifty

Agree Swifty, thought Alton looked better than some of the sides from our league in the first half, thought they tired a bit and we took over in the second. There were some excellent performances, Josh, Perry and Harry (when he came on) especially, but all round a confident team performance.

The first team now in two QF's and a Semi, and both the Reserves and Under 18's in a Semi each. Won't tempt fate but would be great for Paul and the lads to pick up something this season.

Should have asked me about the raffle, sure we've got a nice bottle of rose in the cellar....

SBF