Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

UUURRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

Vs Northwood. Lost 2-1, Brown

Again we should have got something out of a game where the opposition didnt really offer much.

Dan Brown didnt deserve to be on the losing side and was simply fantastic for the whole 90 minutes.

Put this one to bed and move on.

I can't remember being as disappointed by a defeat for a long time. It was a game that should have been won after dominating the first half. The defence looked solid, the midfield were on top and provided some penetrating passes for setting up a number of chances with Dan causing problems with his pace and Kofi using his body strength to hold the ball and set up a host of goal scoring opportunities. Also Jim' s long throws off a run up that would have graced the Olympics caused panic in the home defence.

Unfortunately we were only 1 up at the break and instead of building upon our first half superiority, we lost our way in the second period. Northwood won the battle of the midfields and our defence was stretched time and again as their forwards found gaps between the back four and the midfield. We did set up some good plays of our own, but in contrast to the first half, crosses went astray, deliveries from set pieces were poor and overall there didn't seem to be the desire to win the game.

If we can manage to play at the standard of yesterday's first half, there is no reason that we cant challenge for a play off place. The players need toi believe in themselves. From what I've seen, we are capable of beating any team in this league.

A few random thoughts.

Having won the toss, I was surpised that we chose to play with the elements in our favour in the first half. I always prefer to have the conditions on my side in the second period when tiredness creeps in.

I also thought that Dan Brown was our "man of the match" with his non-stop running. I felt also that Kofi showed up well also and that our whole team showed great effort against a Northwood side who are an effective side in my view and never easy to beat. For them I thought the difference, apart from the elements being in their favour in the second half, was when they brought on Rob Ursell who had a lot to do with their attacking play.

Northwood may not agree as he turned down two penalty appeals, both of which looked "possibles" but I thought the referee Mr. Hatzikadis was excellent. He did his job but explained his decisions, didn't make a fuss of things and didn't find it necessary to caution anyone. Nice also to see both benches behaving themselves immaculately, more or less.

On the balance of play I felt a draw would have been the fairest result but conceding so early in the second period was the key for me as it got Northwood back on track.