Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tiers are not enough

Hi.. I've heard that UK's non-league football is structured in tiers, with the Blue Square Bet Premiership being at tier 1 (?) Can anyone tell me or point me to a webpage that shows the various tiers and which leagues are there?

Thanks!

SJ

Tier 1 is blue square conference premier

Tier 2 is blue square north & blue square south

(the north and south are the geographical split of England but both leagues feed into the premier

Tier 3 has 3 leagues

Ryman premier (which is south east)

Southern league premier (which is south,midlands)

Northern league premier (which is north)

These 3 leagues have teams go up to blue square nth & sth and also down to other leagues for example Ryman has a north & south,the same with the southern prem(it has a west and east) the same with a northern league.

From these leagues their are more regionalised leagues feeding into them.

Someone maybe able to explain it better than me and I am sure they will put a detailed chart or link to show you.

Football is massive in this country and it's not uncommon for clubs as far as 3 levels down (or ryman premier) to regularly play in front of 500-1'000 fans,sometimes even more.

My team is AFC Hornchurch,we play in the Ryman Premier League,we are 2nd and the play offs start next week,we hope to go up into the conference south (level 2 of non league)

Edited by Eastside Urchin

I was in Singapore a few months ago and thought some of the sports facilities for grass roots sport put the UK to shame.

The big problem for non league football here is the majority of stadiums are depressingly older than Noah's Ark, and potential younger supporters have little interest in ever attending matches at anything lower than Conference National, which means very few non league clubs are financially viable.

Don't agree mostly and gates pretty much substantiate that.

The average Conference south crowd I guess would be around 700,the average Ryman Premier crowd would be around 400

These are often from towns which have more than one league club locally close to them.

Football is financially viable but what isn't is the money that some clubs spend paying players,that I think we would both agree on.

There is no reason why a club with an average gate of 300-400 can not compete sensibly with other clubs within that league.

Many kids watch non league,yes,not in the same numbers as premiership football but why would it ever compare???

• 2 weeks later...

'Tiers for Souvenirs'......

A great 'Doddy' song, in my view !