Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Article in Guernsey Press

Rother

http://www.thisisguernsey.com/sport/2012/09/07/big-guernsey-fc-rivals-to-lose-key-players/

THE Green Lions’ path into step four football may have just got a lot smoother.

Windsor, the perceived rich boys of the CCL Premier Division, are suddenly broke and the team hotly tipped to be the side to push Guernsey FC the hardest for the one automatic place out of the division, face losing most of its first-team squad just four games into their league season.

Their players are likely to take a dim view of the news that the club’s playing budget has been withdrawn.

It is understood that Windsor, who finished runners-up to Guildford last season and were just a point behind the champions, had a supposed budget of £65,000 to pay their players this campaign.

But this week the club chairman, Kevin Stott, announced it was being withdrawn for the long-term good of a club which has 36 teams in total.

The website only carries the first couple of paragraphs, this is the article in full but not sure if it becomes less or more unfactual in full compared to the brevity of the this isguernsey website =

CCL Premier Division

League rich boys hit money problems

Big GFC rivals to lose key players

by Rob Batiste

The Green Lions path into step four football may have just got a lot smoother.

Windsor the perceived rich boys of the CCL Premier Division are suddenly broke and the team hotly tipped to be the side to push Guernsey FC the hardest

for the one automatic place out of the division, face losing most of its first-tem squad just four games into their league season.

Their players are likely to take a dim view of the news that the club's playing budget has been withdrawn.

It is understood that Windsor, who finished runners-up to Guildford last season and were just a point behind the champions, had a supposed budget of £65,000 to pay their players this campaign.

But this week the club chairman, Kevin Stott announced it was being withdrawn for the long-term good of a club which has 36 teams in total.

The news did not go down well with either the manager, Kevin Scott or captain Ryan Parsons, who said he felt disappointed and let down at the news.

The 28 year old told the Windsor local paper, the Observer '' Kevin Stott was up front with everyone and told us there was no budget any more, the club would not be paying their players.

It was a only a month and a half earlier we were told the budget was in place for the foreseeable future.

It was a bit disappointing and a lot of us feel let down but I suppose we have got to move on - this sort of thing happens in football nowadays''

Vance happy to put island pride before money

Parsons expects most of the current squad to leave the club after tomorrows FA Cup first qualifying round tie against Didcot.

''I will be looking elsewhere because I need the money to support the family. I think the majority will be looking elsewhere'' he added.

The captains talk of having to look after his family, begs the question how much money players like him were receiving from the club.

Tony Vance the GFC boss, said that ''unfortunately football is a mercenary business and it can work both for you and against you''

He said he did not know exactly how many sides at CCL Premier level paid players, but suspects that several are.

''Some claim they are not and some say they do. Guildford players were getting paid last year and they went up''.

Vance has mixed feelings over the Windsor setback.

''At the end of the day I was looking forward to testing ourselves against them but the coach has shown his true colours and gone and most of the players will be gone.

Give me a group of players who play for the pride of the island any day.''

Explaining Windsor's decision its chairman said ''I realised that as a club we had lost our way a bit and were in danger of becoming

a little too focused on the first team at the expense of our primary objective of creating a self sustaining club.

This will not allow us to inspire the next generation but the next 50 years of footballers in Windsor and the surrounding area.

There are now 36 teams playing under the Windsor FC badge from the age of six upwards and the Stag Meadow regeneration plan

could see all of them playing with the intelligent installation and utilisation of the latest artificial playing surfaces.

We set a competitive first team budget on the back of a business plan that showed self-sustaining income streams being generated through the installation and hiring out of artificial 3G pitches.

Despite everyone's best efforts we still have some way to go before we can expect these pitches and income stream to be in place.

I committed to fund the new clubs start up costs and playing budget for the first season only because we were determined not to re-create a club reliant on a benefactor''.

GP have now published my short comment on their piece of journalistic licence, and I have just spoken to your 'Top-Man' on the phone, just to draw his attention to the article, you understand !

Archived