Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Truro City given final lifeline

RalphC

Truro City have been given more time to pay a £50,000 bond to ensure their membership of the Football Conference.

The club faced expulsion from the league after failing to pay the bond by the original deadline of 17:00 BST on Thursday 11 October.

But they will now have until 17:00 BST on Thursday 18 October to pay the money which covers the costs of teams travelling to Truro if the club folds.

The Blue Square Bet South club went into administration in August.

"It's great news that we've got an extension until Thursday," James Moore, lawyer for administrators Walsh Taylor, told BBC South West Sport.

"Without that there was a possibility that the club could have been expelled today."

Saturday's scheduled game against Dover Athletic, which was called off earlier this week, has not been re-instated.

In a statement, the Football Conference said the information received from the administrator was "encouraging".

The statement continued: "This opportunity did not come to light until Wednesday evening, so it was not possible for the administrator to complete a purchase before close of business on Thursday.

"At an emergency Board meeting held on Friday afternoon the Directors expressed their hope for this latest development and granted the club, through the administrator, seven further days, until 5.00pm on Thursday 18 October, to meet its requirements and complete a sale.

"If the club fails to meet this deadline, the Board will be obliged to consider the club's further participation in the Competition."

But even if Truro City is saved, manager Lee Hodges says he may find it hard to persuade his players to stay for another week with no pay.

They are currently owed three month's money, with Hodges saying he and his squad want at least half of one month's wages in order to play next week.

"We don't know where we stand and it's another week where we're not paid," he told BBC South West Sport.

"We've all got mouths to feed and a load of [players] have got interest from other clubs.

"There's only so long I can keep hold of them. They asked me to keep them for this week and I've managed to do that and I'm sure they're going to ask me to keep them for another week."

The club is looking for a new ownership after the previous owner, Kevin Heaney, was declared bankrupt and left the club in August.

Truro had risen from playing local league football to two divisions off the Football league after five promotions in six years following funding from Heaney.

But the club were served with a winding-up petition by HM Revenue and Customs in September last year over an unpaid tax bill and faced a debt claim of £700,000.

But Moore says a the Football Conference bond will depend upon getting security of tenure over the club's Treyew Road ground from current owners JoJo Investco Limited.

"It's quite a complex transaction because of the land issue," said Moore.

"If something can be resolved regarding the land then the bond can be put in place.

"We have managed to do a lot to over the last 24 hours to show them (the Football Conference) that we can trade the club, so I am grateful that we have been given an extension.

"We would have liked longer because of the nature of the transaction these things don't get dealt with in a short space of time.

"But in short, if the bond's put in, it'll most likely be that a sale will go through.

"We're all out to try and get something agreed over the land."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19921475

_62599643_truro_logo_226.jpg

This is fantastic news!

I hope that their council secures the future of Treyew Road Stadium, and that the new owners can work hard to turn the fortunes of the club around.

This is fantastic news!

I hope that their council secures the future of Treyew Road Stadium, and that the new owners can work hard to turn the fortunes of the club around.

Why do you feel that hard pressed council taxpayers should shoulder the financial responsibility of keeping a professional football club alive?, and what are your thoughts on the people that Truro City FC owe money to?.

I'd rather tax go to keep football clubs alive than the bone-idle job dodgers.

As for the people owed money, I hope the new owner/s make every effort to pay them back.

Oh, and nit-picking, they are semi-pro at Step 2. Step 1 and above is pro/full-time.

I'd rather tax go to keep football clubs alive than the bone-idle job dodgers.

As for the people owed money, I hope the new owner/s make every effort to pay them back.

Oh, and nit-picking, they are semi-pro at Step 2. Step 1 and above is pro/full-time.

Oh dear Adam. Its not the responsibility of council taxpayers to pay "the bone idle job dodgers" as you so succulently put it. That comes from central government funding. I would have thought that a God botherer such as yourself would have had a bit more sympathy for people who find themselves unemployed, especially when a half decent job is about a rare as hens teeth.

Is there any difference council taxpayers between paying the wages of a semi pro outfit or a full time club?.

The whole situation is a farce,they are creating a rod for their own back,that Cornish council that is,if they do get through this week but fail to make it to the end of the season then they will look ridiculous.

I think thy should just accept the inevitable and quit with some dignity,who in their right mind would take a failing business over,with debts coming out of their eyeballs and no real income coming in to work that debt off????

Oh dear Adam. Its not the responsibility of council taxpayers to pay "the bone idle job dodgers" as you so succulently put it. That comes from central government funding. I would have thought that a God botherer such as yourself would have had a bit more sympathy for people who find themselves unemployed, especially when a half decent job is about a rare as hens teeth.

Is there any difference council taxpayers between paying the wages of a semi pro outfit or a full time club?.

Tut tut - I would have expected you to be more politically correct than that. Isn't the terminology of 'God Botherer' bordering on hate-speech? Never mind, the thought police are on their way,,,,

Whilst I have not been inside a Job Centre in my life (thankfully), I do know plenty of people in the recruitment industry at Pertemps, Westaff, Kelter and Acorn. There are plenty of jobs going at the moment - skilled/unkilled and a great deal of these have training on the job.

You mention half-decent jobs, Alan. Well at the moment any job is decent. The BBC and other more left-wing media are always quick to say that unemployment is rising, but what it does not tell you is that there are some people who would rather take from the benefits pot and give nothing back. I don't feel sorry for people who could work but can't be bothered to - not one ounce. I could sit down in front of the TV and watch Jeremy Kyle all day long whilst drinking white cider and special brew in my Wayne Slob clothes, but I have more self-respect and I realise that life doesn't owe me jack. If I want to live a good life, I have to work - end of.

As for those who ILLEGALLY claim benefits - well they're as bad as the Fred Goodwin's and Bob Diamond's of the Banking Industry:

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-west-yorkshire-news/2012/05/31/rastrick-mum-claimed-80-000-in-benefits-scam-86081-31081773/

http://www.thisisthewestcountry.co.uk/news/somerset_news/9899679.Ashill_wedding_photographer_illegally_claimed_over___80_000_in_benefits/

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/king_s_lynn_woman_accused_of_80_000_benefits_fraud_1_1513982

Any sympathy with the above? My cup of care for these people doth not runeth over.

Anyway, Cornwall Council has already given £10,000 as a bond to help the club. This is a good start, but they need an investor to come in early doors next week and pick up the tab. It is always a shame when a club goes under, and let us not forget that it's their fans who will suffer the most if that club dies.

What are the FA doing to help stop this? Oh wait, they only care about the 20 clubs in the Premiership (already been proven that the checks they did on the buyers of Portsmouth and Notts. County were as useful as a chocolate kettle in hell).

Tut tut - I would have expected you to be more politically correct than that. Isn't the terminology of 'God Botherer' bordering on hate-speech? Never mind, the thought police are on their way,,,,

Whilst I have not been inside a Job Centre in my life (thankfully), I do know plenty of people in the recruitment industry at Pertemps, Westaff, Kelter and Acorn. There are plenty of jobs going at the moment - skilled/unkilled and a great deal of these have training on the job.

You mention half-decent jobs, Alan. Well at the moment any job is decent. The BBC and other more left-wing media are always quick to say that unemployment is rising, but what it does not tell you is that there are some people who would rather take from the benefits pot and give nothing back. I don't feel sorry for people who could work but can't be bothered to - not one ounce. I could sit down in front of the TV and watch Jeremy Kyle all day long whilst drinking white cider and special brew in my Wayne Slob clothes, but I have more self-respect and I realise that life doesn't owe me jack. If I want to live a good life, I have to work - end of.

As for those who ILLEGALLY claim benefits - well they're as bad as the Fred Goodwin's and Bob Diamond's of the Banking Industry:

http://www.examiner....86081-31081773/

http://www.thisisthe...00_in_benefits/

http://www.edp24.co....fraud_1_1513982

Any sympathy with the above? My cup of care for these people doth not runeth over.

Anyway, Cornwall Council has already given £10,000 as a bond to help the club. This is a good start, but they need an investor to come in early doors next week and pick up the tab. It is always a shame when a club goes under, and let us not forget that it's their fans who will suffer the most if that club dies.

What are the FA doing to help stop this? Oh wait, they only care about the 20 clubs in the Premiership (already been proven that the checks they did on the buyers of Portsmouth and Notts. County were as useful as a chocolate kettle in hell).

You really do have a chip on your shoulder if you think being described as a God Botherer is any way bordering on hatred, which is probably far less offensive than calling an unemployed person a job dodger, or a scrounger.

With regards to recruitment agencies, I was once a transport manager and I lost count of the amount of time I spent listening to those parasites telling me how they could destroy the union and drive wages and terms and conditions down if they was awarded a contract to supply labour.

If you believe that exploitation of a workforce somehow correlates with your christianity then thank goodness I'm an atheist.

You really do have a chip on your shoulder if you think being described as a God Botherer is any way bordering on hatred, which is probably far less offensive than calling an unemployed person a job dodger, or a scrounger.

No chips, and no fish here Alan. I was taking the mick out of the lefty political-correctness which brands almost anything as illegal and wrong. If a person is unemployed and making every effort to find work then I have no problem with him/her. If a person is sitting on his/her bumhole all day and not making any effort to find work, then I do have a problem. Any job is better than none at all these days.

With regards to recruitment agencies, I was once a transport manager and I lost count of the amount of time I spent listening to those parasites telling me how they could destroy the union and drive wages and terms and conditions down if they was awarded a contract to supply labour.

Fair do's, that is totally wrong. However, what about people who make no effort to work and whom have 10 kids or so just to bleed more money off the state? The tax-payer has to pick up their tab, and when there's still not enough money to go around (thanks to the econonomic collapse of 2008/09, Gordon Brown being a Grade A t**t, Labour signing us up to billion pound contracts in the last few days of office, Soros and co. speculating on finance etc.) then should they be allowed to take, take, take all the time? Having grown up in a dump in South Wales, I know what some of the people there are like - they don't care about how much it costs people to fund their lifestyle, so long as they can have it their way. They are just as bad as your 'parasites'.

If you believe that exploitation of a workforce somehow correlates with your christianity then thank goodness I'm an atheist.

You're missing the point - more people working is never a bad thing. Let us not forget how nasty SOME of the Unions were. 3-day-weeks, trash piled up in the street under Jim Callghan's watch? I thank goodness that I am self-employed and don't have to have myself exploited either!

I would imagine that a fair percentage of your customers can only afford their holidays because they enjoy the privileges won by Margaret Thatcher after she smashed the trade unionists.

Well said Alan.......a decent point you make ;)

Archived