Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Stones 0 Ash Trees 0 a.e.t. - we win 5-4 on penalties

Swifty

Of all the nights for a game to go to extra time and penalties, it had to be a freezing cold one!

We were lucky - we had six times as many efforts on goal in the penalty shoot-out than in the match!

A couple of committee men were rubbing their hands with glee at the news that Wealdstone were only fielding four regular first teamers against a very strong Ashford side. One of the Wealdstone Four was their keeper, who made a brilliant save diving backwards and to his left to stop a goalbound Kofi header from an Ed free kick midway through the first half. By the end of 120 minutes, everyone was rubbing their hands just to keep the cold out. Kofi's effort turned out to be our only real chance in the two hours, though not for the want of trying.

Had the goals been 30 feet by 10 feet, Wealdstone would have won by four or five. They looked sharp and agile and were relentless, but their finishing was woeful. When they did get it on target and past Kyle, Bitz made a fantastic goal-line stop at the very end to take it to extra time, and (I think) Harry made another fine clearance off the line in extra time.

When it came to penalties, Bitz and Kofi scored the early efforts before Ed smacked his penalty against the bar. When Wealdstone's next penalty when in off the underside of the bar the omens didn't look good, but Jack, Joe and Perry made theirs count while Kyle saved Stones' fifth and sixth spot kicks to take us through to a tie against North Greenford United, surprise winners over Hendon.

Several players were candidates for man of the match - Kyle, Harry and Russ amongst them - but my choice for the whole evening would be Wealdstone's tannoy announcer, who showed mock joy at the news that one or both of the teams had opted to play extra time insrtead of going straight to penalties before reminding us we'd be getting value for money, then cajoling the players to hurry up and get the penalty shoot-out done quickly!

Kyle has been a great addition, with no disrespect to Macca. Swifty - sounds like Wealdstone may have a vacancy for a PA Announcer? Just say NO to our near-neighbours, which I am sure you will!

Thanx to our friends a Staines, in our hour of need, where Kyle is concerned.

I do the lads a dis-service. According to Wealdstone's extensive report, Kofi hit the post with an early header, and it was Jim whose header was superbly saved.

I was on the opposite side to the dugouts, so I don't know if the Wealdstone manager agreed to extra time at first, but I reckon Burgo wanted it as he still had all three substitutions remaining and could change tactics or personnel if required while Wealdstone had already brought all their subs on.

The pitch (and standing areas!) got frosty quickly as the game progressed,, hence the ref's concern, but it actually held up very well under the conditions.

Does anyone know what the official attendance was? The result isn't on the Southern League round-up page and Wealdstone's website doesn't show the crowd figure.

I wonder if Eduardo Tomas will be able to jet off for his birthday break with the snow and ice at the airport this morning? He was probably thinking of hitting the bar when he hit the bar! :D

Archived