Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees XI 3 Cove 5

Swifty

So, we've got something in common with Chelsea - we've both been knocked out of competitions we won last season at the first stage!

With the first team in action last night, we started (and ended) our defence of the Aldershot Senior Cup with virtually the reserve team. The only first teamers of any level we recognised were Macca, Bitz (the only player who started last night's and tonight's games), Perry (an extra time sub last night - we didn't recognise him at first tonight, as he was employed as emergency centre-half and did well) and Tom Mooney. We were unable to make out any other players due to lack of knowledge of our second string and lack of a teamsheet, thankfully saving the spectators from a recital by me on the mic! Tonight's match should have been sponsored by Bovril, as much of the beefy stuff was quaffed by us in the 'Tannoy Stand' in order to keep warm!

Cove were quickest out of the blocks, and a 3rd minute deflected goal and 14th minute waltz throught the defence set them up nicely. Our young lads started believing in themselves and Bitz got us back in it with a 25 yard free kick screamer in the 33rd, only for the defence to cave in for 1-3 two minutes later. A cracking 12 yard volley with the ball a yard off the ground by Harry Roberts (thanks for that info, James!) got us back into the game before half time, and we ran the second half and deserved an equaliser until Macca parried a shot to a Cove forward for 2-4 with 15 to go, and he was lobbed despite getting at least one hand to a looping effort in the 84th. There was still time for the best goal of the night according to the bespectacled 'lino' on our side and I'd agree with him, a fine jinx past two defenders on the left hand side of the box and an unstoppable shot into the far top corner by Tom Mooney for 3-5 in the 88th.

Bitz was subbed with about 20 minutes to go despite another good shift, either because he was knackered after matches on consecutive nights or because he got a hole in his tights. Should've bought a stronger denier - erm, apparently! :lol:

Shaky start but, overall, a creditable performance by the lads, who weren't overawed and gave a good account of themselves, especially that first half hour of the second half. Unknowns who stood out for me were Harry Roberts and the number 7 (sorry, lad, don't know your name but you did superbly) who ran like a whippet. Cove's best player was their livewire number 7, and credit to them for coming and playing their part in an open, end-to-end, entertaining and mostly trouble-free game, apart from the 'gertcha' stuff near the end where young Perry got a tad overheated. Don't know what it was about, so no blame attached.

Weird experience tonight. A 'crowd' of around 20, 10% of which had Yorkshire accents and who stood either side of me giving it 'by gum' in stereo! (PS - cheers for the company, Tango Dave and 'Under The League' James.) Mind you, neither were anywhere near as loud as Tony - I take it that boy's still got his tonsils! :P

Pretty sure I won't get in trouble for naming the team in this case, not sure about the numbers though ...

Paul MCarthy

Harry Roberts

Longji Lonhro

Perry Luckins

James Stenning

Tom Mooney

Robbie Sitch

Leke Somule

Luke Wilsonn (replaced by George Ukaegbo)

Grant Cooper (replaced by David Johnson)

Mark Bitmead (replaced by Darrel Burgess)

All apart from Macca, Perry and Bitz were making their first team debuts.

SBF

Cove's second goal surely came from the bizarre free kick awarded against Paul McCarthy, understandably rusty after a long lay off, for allegedly holding the ball longer than six seconds. Given that the referee had also given a penalty against us from some 60 yards early on and took some convincing from his assistant that the offence, if indeed it was an offence, was way out of the area, one sensed that maybe we were up against it, against a decent Cove side.

It was a shame we were unable to field a stronger team, leading to us going out of the competition we won last season but good luck to Cove in the next round. Well done also to our young team who impressed at times and will surely continue to improve under Mick Snowden's management. We did score arguably the best goal of the evening when Tom Mooney's long mazy run ended with him slotting the ball past the keeper for the final score of the night.

One disappointment though. We treated the match as if it were a 1st Team game with all the normal board room hospitality and not one official from Cove seemed to be present (if they were, nobody made themselves known). Another waste of money not to mention Sue's hard work. At least I had the biscuits and cup cakes all to myself!

Best check with Alan first. I remember announcing Tom at the Godalming game - it might just have been the line-ups, but I thought he came on in the last ten minutes. Mind you, I'd forgotten how Cove scored their second last night, so don't go just by my memory!

Bearing in mind Cove are 4th in their league, doing an unscientific comparision of performances and results, I reckon they'd equate to no lower than 18th or 19th in our division, so our fledgelings did very well against a team of that calibre.

One disappointment though. We treated the match as if it were a 1st Team game with all the normal board room hospitality and not one official from Cove seemed to be present (if they were, nobody made themselves known). Another waste of money not to mention Sue's hard work. At least I had the biscuits and cup cakes all to myself!

We may have treated it like a first team game, but Cove only treated it like a first team game on the pitch. I've been trying to find out who scored their goals and in what order, and there's no mention at all of the game on their website. The match isn't even listed on their fixtures page! Makes you wonder (1) why they bothered to enter, (2) how many, if any, of their committee actually knew about the game and (3) why Alan didn't share the cakes and biscuits with us in the 'Tannoy Stand'. What a greedy man! :P

Hi,

The goals were scored in order OG, Jack Ball, Jake Baxter, Alex Jeffers, Jake Baxter.

Apologies as I haven't had a chance to update the website over the past few days, and tend to do all updates on a Sunday, which will be the case with this game!

In regard to not having any club representatives present, the game was rescheduled to a Weds with only a few weeks notice. We were happy to accommodate, but unfortunately it was too late for the club officials to reschedule other plans.

We opted to field a much changed side also, which was without 6 regulars. But the lads that came in are all fighting for the shirts and done themselfs no harm, although we have a lot to work on!

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Hi,

The goals were scored in order OG, Jack Ball, Jake Baxter, Alex Jeffers, Jake Baxter.

Apologies as I haven't had a chance to update the website over the past few days, and tend to do all updates on a Sunday, which will be the case with this game!

In regard to not having any club representatives present, the game was rescheduled to a Weds with only a few weeks notice. We were happy to accommodate, but unfortunately it was too late for the club officials to reschedule other plans.

We opted to field a much changed side also, which was without 6 regulars. But the lads that came in are all fighting for the shirts and done themselfs no harm, although we have a lot to work on!

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the response. much appreciated.

You couldn't possibly put the first goal down to Jake Baxter as well, could you? One of our spectators, who knows more about these things than me, thought Jake had scored a hat-trick...and it wouldn't do the morale of one of our debutants much good to have an OG against his name on (hopefully) his inaugural game as a long-term first teamer. ;)

If you had 6 regulars out, your side put in a really good shift. Better than a few teams I've seen in our division over the years. Irrespective of the result, it was a very enjoyable game to watch.

I'm sure jake will be all for that!

Yes agree, for the spectator it was a decent game as was pretty much end to end and played with a good honest spirit.

Is the first time I've been up against an ashford side since my days as a player in your youth team, so was good to walk away with a win! ;-)

Swifty -

I hope that Burgo is not troubled by your comment about "years to come". CFCgaffer will have to join the queue behind our own younger managers (and your good self, of course ;)).

Archived