Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 2 Brook 1

Swifty

Much, much better. A really enjoyable game, very frenetic and good skills from both teams. We hung on in the end for a much needed win.

We looked more like a team tonight. Alex and Ed causing havoc down the left, Bairoh back on form in central defence, Jacob pulling strings in midfield, Kofi getting really stuck in, Matt having a fine return as the target man, and accolades to my man of the match, Macca, who made three or four really good saves and kept us in it before we took control.

One area where we let ourselves down was that, yet again, we didn't cause the 'oppo' keeper to make a telling save, but we had enough final third play and effort to merit more goals and some of the attacking play was sparkling. A beautiful move for the first goal in the 35th, training ground style play, probably twelve successive passes and a great finish on his 'second debut' by Matt Baxter. Who needs Mario? I was surprised Matt was subbed as he was imperial in the air, but maybe he was a bit tired and not quite match-fit, not surprising given the 'punk rock football' on display. By the way, do we have first dibs on Matt or have Staines Lammas got that prerogative?

Great work by Jacob and Bitz for the crucial second in the 43rd, expertly tucked away by Kofi. That knocked the stuffing out of AFC Hayes for a short while (can't they change their name to Hayes Brook House? Sounds much better) but they changed shape, upped the tempo and got back into it with a deserved but ridculous goal in the 75th. Tony Mendy was at least a yard offside - the other thing we need to eradicate is switching off, wanting offside and giving the oppo a chance, as with Guildford City's first on Saturday - but even Tony was surprised enough to look at the 'lino' before scoring. I'm afraid the ref and 'lino' on the 'Mic Stand' side had really poor second halves.

My failure to name all our team in this post doesn't mean the other lads didn't play their part. It was a real knuckle-down effort by starters and subs alike. If we can keep this shape / formation / belief we can still finish the season in a decent league position...and hopefully with a senior cup. By the way, was Dan Brown scouting for the oppo...or looking for a game with us? :lol:

I think Eddie sums the game up nicely. It was especially good to see Matt Baxter back (and scoring in a solid personal game for him) and Jacob. Both had good games in my humble opinion, as did others.

It was a bit nervy when it went 2-1 with 15 minutes normal time to play, but we hung on. Hopefully we can build on this for the remainder of the season which sees more away games than home. Perhaps that the imbalance between home and away league games played so far is testament to our pitch?

As an aside, thanks to Dan Butler, Iain Messenger and Sue when I thought I had lost my phone. I found it this morning in the pocket of the coat I had intended to wear, but in my rush to go out to my cab I picked up another one. No fool like an old fool.

A good 3 points in a hard high tempo match. Matt Baxter did what he does best and was a thorn in afc Hayes side until he went off. Kofi realy put a shift in and tucked away a neat header. Macca was excellent between the sticks and his distribution was first class. As swifty pointed out though, over the last few games we have stopped and asked for decisions, thats a bad habit to get into. hopefully we can play to the whistle in future. Good to get the win where Everyone played their part and I was pleased with the efforts all round! Well done chaps!

I meant to say it didn't look like a match between two out-of-sorts mid-table teams. It was more like a high energy contest for the final play-off place. A good, clean game played in decent spirits. Surprised AFC Hayes are on a winless run if they play like that normally.

Archived