Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Away at Chessington

Fuzzy Royal

So, the journey was pleasant, the M25 behaved itself and a delightful lunch was had at the local hostelry the Shy Horse, about as good as the trip for this game got.

With no disrespect meant to Chessington, their ground is one of the least inspiring in the league, with a pitch to match. Clearly specially ploughed for the game, in freezing conditions the passing game was clearly not on the cards. Remembering how they turned us over at our place and how we played that day I was hoping for a desire for revenge.

Well the game started and very little of note happened, that's not fair there was a terribly exciting snow flurry and a little bit of friendly banter with the fans (and their keeper who was good value).

Suddenly Windsor sprang to life, a good passing move and Laza finishes with power and precision to add a little colour to the rather grey proceedings. Unfortunately not long after Chessington had the impudence to go down the other end and score. It did look like a foul on the Windsor defender, as if he was pulled to the ground, but to be fair it was nearly half time, everyone was cold and losing interest in a dour and depressing first half.The ref blew his whistle and we headed to the club house, where the tables had been delightfully decorated with an amusing centrepiece (yes the football was that bad!!!)

The second half saw Windsor go for it a bit more and really attack the game, the pitch wasn't helping and passes were going awry all over the place but Windsor were looking better. Suddenly Chessington, once again not having read the script, rudely took the lead. Some pretty poor defending allowed Chessington to go clean through and a shot, that if it wasn't Rob in goal would have lead us to tut and direct disapproving looks at the keeper, trundled in, simply...BOTTOMS!!

Strangely this seemed to spur Windsor on, we had good chances to equalise, a very dodgy looking dive from Sheehan was laughed at by all, including the ref. The introduction of Pearse gave us a bit more impetus and when he got the wrong side of the right back he was brought down for a penalty. Laza dispatched the penalty with venom into the top corner, with the keeper enquiring as to whether he practices them, and a little grin, he knew no-one would have stopped it.

Windsor had a few chances to win the game, but we didn't look anywhere near as good as we have done this season, our passing was off, touch looked poor and defensively we looked frail and disorganised at times.

It was cold, miserable, the pitch was poor, there was littel to inspire and little to play for for either team. I got the feeling the effort was evident but it was just ugly to watch and little seemed to go right for us. Maybe one to learn from and just move onto the next game.

M25 was good on the way home, very pleasant drive, got home and the heating had just come on, lovely...........

Agree with all that, good write up (fcuk me it was cold) but feel the debut man, Elliott Legg, deserves a particular mention.

Another 17 year old from Hayes & Yeading I thought he played particularly well.

So you didn't fancy popping over the road to The World of Adventures, then ??

Fuzzy's comments sound similar to the experience from last season. I don't think I have ever been so miserable at a football match than I was. The weather dire, the pitch a joke and the officials, especially the nearside assistant in the second half, were utterly dreadful.

Archived