Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Against Modern Football - Really?

These are the thoughts of Cardiff City's Director Steve Borley on those people who are against modern football:

'I keep reading about people wanting to protest against modern football but what is the modern football they are wanting to protest about.

I remember as young kid going to watch City against Leeds in the cup in a 50'000 crowd where there was fighting throughout and I admit was scared stiff, is this the retro football they want to go back to where families were an afterthought. 

I've seen us play against Millwall in first game of the season where the police bill was more than the gate receipts , is this what they want to return to rather than the 14 police free games we had last season and club benefits

its great to go to CCS and see so many girls and women going to games or would they rather return to the stadium where women's toilets were non existent as the stadium was designed for 50,000 flat cap wearing fans.

CCS has great views wherever you sit or would they rather return to a stadium with restricted views.

CCS is now a stadium that works 365 days a year rather than 30 event days a year thus increasing revenues, is this a product of modern football

Is modern football so bad when you can now produce a pitch that looks great for the entire season when in days gone past we would be playing on a mad and sand quagmire after Christmas. I recon the pitch cost us promotion in 71 as much as anything else.

Is modern football so bad that you see flowing football and fantastic goals or was the football so much better under Alan Durban

Is modern football so bad when you can develop a community system that employs over 80 staff running education and development programmes in fantastic facilities or was it better when run in school yards by teachers.

Is it so bad that it is now more inclusive when we run football, Futsal, basketball ,netball branded teams for elite, male, female, able bodied and disabled persons and more accessible to all.

I know this is long winded but to have a go at the club over the definition over modern football is to have a go at its very fabric which is not just front-line football.

Our ticket prices will be amongst the lowest in the division next year, and we will again win awards for fans match day experiences for both home and away fans.

If you are against the re-brand and the colours then I respect that but to wrap it up as a product of how the club has evolved and developed is crazy. I think the club has earned its wide spread praise for the way its reputation has been turned around.'

That's just one example though, but do you think that he has a point or is modern football so bad?

Never want to see standing come back at the larger stadiums, too many have already died because of this.

I cant stand the Premiership and everything it stands for! All the grounds look the same they just have different colour seats ;)

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

;)

Not a ridiculous statement at all, try speaking to those affected by the Hillsborough disaster (like I have), yes it was a different era but I do not want to see anyone go through that again.

It is a ridiculous statement.

You simply wouldn't get that situation again

SAFE standing isn't designed that way.

The majority of Liverpool fans are in favour of safe standing,the clue is in the name.

It works all over the continent

Just because we disagree does not mean it's a ridiculous statement... Not sure where you get most LFC fans in favour from? The ones I speak to and know from visiting Anfield are not in favour. certainly those affected by Hillsborough are not and after what they have gone through I really do not blame them. Yes, I do know and understand what safe standing areas are all about.

It was a poll taken by a leading group who polled people going into anfield for a league game.

Safe standing simply wouldn't create any problems.It would be designed as it is in geany and other leading nations that these incidents simply could never happen again

Archived