Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 0 Saints 1

Swifty

Starting with a positive, excellent to see Tone back on the terraces after his heart bypass and subsequent heart attack. Welcome back, fella!

I felt we were unlucky today and deserved a point. I have to say I didn’t think that early on. Ten minutes into the game our lads all looked despondent and their body shapes suggested a sense of resignation. Fifteen minutes in I thought we’d parked the bus at home. When we gave away a simple headed goal in the 31st minute (caused by a run and cross from Terrell Lewis – typical), I got that familiar feeling yet again. We didn’t pressure our opponents anywhere near enough in the first half despite some nice passages of play and, when Adam rounded the keeper and hit the post with an open goal, admittedly from what looked a very tight angle, I expected the dreaded ‘Eurovision’ - nil points.

The second half was much better. After withstanding some early pressure, we made far more of a game of it and had the best chances, two of them falling to Elliott, but not taken. Probably his wrong foot for the first effort, and he either lost control or got a nasty bobble in the one-on-one. You could tell it wasn’t going to be our day when Mitch had a shot blocked by a blatant handball in the 88th minute and nothing was given. Overall, we matched Chalfont St. Peter and it was a decent enough performance without the luck or reward. Hope Perry and Elliott make quick recoveries from their injuries.

Thanks to Kev for the lift. Loved his idea of cutting through the “Bulldog” car park to avoid a traffic jam at the lights, only to have his passage blocked by an oncoming car. Still beat the lights, though!

Overall a very spirited performance from our boys and at times there was some excellent football. We created most of the chances in the match but sadly couldn't convert them.

The shout for a penalty was a bit optimistic, after all it has to be deliberate according to the laws of the game. The ball was smashed at their player from short range. The referee was right to waive away our protests.

I know that it has been said before on this forum, but we are very close to creating a winning team and climbing up the table. Maybe one or two new players will tip the balance.

Good effort lads, after Tyler's early second half save we bossed the rest of the game but just couldnt find a way through with their keeper pulling off a very good low save do deny Adam's well struck effort on the turn and Cyril weaving his magic beating 3 or 4 players to get to the byeline bringing calls of "Nice one Cyril" from the terraces....

Yes the short journey home was eventful, we got straight across the A30 but my passengers seemed a little nervous while I was also trying to change stations as well as gears at the same time..

Still should ensure they don't ask me for a lift again ;)

Well I should be there on the 14th albeit rather delicate as our works do is on the Friday night, Orange Juices only for our striker and work colleague Adam :P

Great to see Tony back.

I thought it was a good performance that just lacked the final killer ball. We played some lovely passing football at times and it was good to see players confident enough to have shots from distance, even though mostly off target, surely soon we'll start converting some. Everyone seemed up for it and gave 100%, first time I've seen Joel and thought he played very well as did Micthell.

Manu, have to disagree about the penalty, everyone around the tea bar thought it was a pen, the defender's arm was raised above his body as he went to ground, so "deliberately" making himself bigger, no matter how close the cross was from.  

Chalfont, not a bad side, will stay up courtesy of Fitzgerald's goals. Chatted with one of their coaches who was very complimentary about Ashford and had no doubt we would stay up.   

Bring on Barton !!!   

SBF

Archived