Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

TOWN V BURY

blue pilgrim

What time is the pitch inspection?

Don't think we had as much rain in the night as predicted, so there must be a chance of a game tonight. I presume someone has got the hairdryer on the square metre of pitch that caused concern on Saturday ?

COYB

One square metre ?  Really?  Send someone up to the garden centre for a fiver's worth of turf. Sorted.

I am absolutely astounded the match is off today. We have played so many times on pitches FAR worse than that.

Its dangerous was the call....what absolute tosh !

Turf mcth...what are you on about.

Someone said it was only a square metre that was the problem. Thought a bit that small could have been dealt with and returfed ?

Math Why don't you either p off back to your newsroom or try posting something constructive If you were really interested and not just delighting in trying to stir up trouble you would offer to go down and help the hard working people who have been trying to get the games on. There was no rain last night after about 8.30and the sun has been drying the pitch all day but still these over cautious men in black will not play a game. I was at thamesmead where one corner from penalty area to by line was so wet the ball would not run yet we played, no injuries and a competitive match which finished 3 3 . Obviously the ref there was not a h&s fanatic but a football man.

Turf would not solve the underlying problem which is drainage. Dig a cubic metre hole and fill with rubble, this may sort it out for a while. But the drainage needs checking.

that would just create a cubic meter water tank Bill.

A lot of work Has been done, but we wont see the benefits until this current lot has dried out.

When we are dry, and we have similar weather next time, we wont be any worse than the average pitch.  Repairing and rectifying in this weather is a slow and arduous process.

I suspect these referees  have their own network, which means (1) they are aware of the recent history (2) they will look a lot closer at our pitch and (3) will not want to contradict a colleague, who declared it unfit 3 days earlier.

Whilst safety is paramount, they need to be reminded that they have a responsibility to the Clubs and their supporters. I hope the lack of income doesn't give us the problems Bury have had recently.

The most serious injuries that I have ever seen at New Lodge was on a rock hard pitch after a period of hot weather. Not on a soft muddy pitch.

I wonder if the officials want to play? Is it possible that it is they that don't want to get dirty. Then again, if memory serves, neither do two of our Suffolk teams from their last brief visits. Which is strange when you consider the perceived occupation the county of location is tarred with. Would have thought they would take to the conditions like a...

Math Why don't you either p off back to your newsroom or try posting something constructive If you were really interested and not just delighting in trying to stir up trouble you would offer to go down and help the hard working people who have been trying to get the games on. There was no rain last night after about 8.30and the sun has been drying the pitch all day but still these over cautious men in black will not play a game. I was at thamesmead where one corner from penalty area to by line was so wet the ball would not run yet we played, no injuries and a competitive match which finished 3 3 . Obviously the ref there was not a h&s fanatic but a football man.

I was really interested because I'd planned to come to the game (along with a good number of the recently postponed fixtures).

I also agree there seems to be a new breed of referee who is not keen on getting his boots muddy - more's the shame.

Anyone seen the picture of the pitch at The Valley tonight.  (bbc football website live text about 1930)

Makes our postponement a joke, but then again I am sure that ref had The FA whispering in his ear to get the match completed - money talks where their premier competition is concerned. 

Sorry, I didn't respond fully last night as I was setting off to a different match to the one I'd hoped to see!

I am surprised that you would think that my expression of incredulity (in a slightly tongue in cheek way) that an area of pitch of just one square metre couldn't be adequately addressed is "stirring up trouble". How exactly?

The other points you make are valid. There is an inconsistency with referees inspections (as there is with many of their decisions anyway!) I think generally there is a tendency for "inspecting" referees to be even more cautious than "match" referees not wanting to pass a pitch which is later declared unfit by the "match" official.

Steve Kent makes a very reasonable and considered statement in his blog on the website. In fact the manner of his thoughtful comments about these matters, whilst obviously disappointed, are a credit to the club.

"not billericay much lately"

No my last few games have been at Leiston, Aveley and East Thurrock with the terrific St Albans match the last home fixture (so I haven't even seen them win since they tore Leiston apart in the home League game).  Big plus is that I don't get to that many Saturday Town matches and it looks like there will be Tuesday matches more weeks than not for the rest of the season !!

Archived