Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 1 Hares 2

Swifty

Just when you think it can't get any worse...

20 minutes to go at home to a team a division below you, a goal up and the opposition just reduced to ten men...and we still lost.

We played well in patches and there were a few good performances, notably from Greg and our Spanish player, El Gar, but Ben,Tom and Conor gave a good account as well. James netted our first goal in seven games with a deft shot in the third minute (sorry I got your surname wrong over the tannoy early on, James - I couldn't read it on the teamsheet and you weren't in the programme line-up!) and we had a few good chances, but Tyler made a couple of brilliant saves to preserve our lead.

None of us in the covered standing could understand why Scott Elgar, our best player, was subbed. We lost momentum as a result. Greg got clattered by Harefield's short fused number 9 and needed to be subbed later through his injury (the ref bottled it with a yellow card - he also made head-scratching decisions affecting both teams at regular intervals in the game) and then, soon after midway in the second half, their 7 got a straight red for a worse challenge. At that point we should have kicked on or at least made the game safe. instead, Harefield played better with ten men, or maybe we let them play better. Leaving one up when defending a corner against ten men, for example.

Mark Sergeant scored a neat goal in the 76th minute against the run of play at the time and then, in stoppage time, a couple of missed tackles led to a charge on goal and Jim conceding a penalty for a second consecutive match. Surprised Jim didn't get sent off as he looked to be the last defender. Tyler stood there looking deflated as Sergeant stroked the ball into the corner.

The only plus points were that we got to see a goal and that we've been spared a probable mullering at Wealdstone in the semi-final. We'd better get used to this sort of game and team, as we'll more than likely be playing Harefield in the Spartan South Midlands next season. 

On the way home, my chauffeur for the night put the car radio on and we caught the last repeated line of "Oliver's Army" by Elvis Costello..."And I would rather be anywhere else but here today". Summed tonight up in a nutshell.

Unfortunately for you, our luck just keeps going in this cup this season!

It was a well matched game as both teams had spells at the start of each half and it looked as if you had weathered ours well. Your big tall centre half was superb and for me when he came off the pitch with an injury, that was the reason you lost the game. The experienced player you brought on cost you both goals and was too busy talking to our players to surely focus on the game properly?

The right midfielder that came off, must of been due to injury as he didn't look the same after he got the ball in the area that hurts most.

When we moved to a 3 at the back, we seemed to look more comfortable and the sending off wasn't needed from Paulo, but it seemed to spur us on and coupled with the sub, he seemingly looked like he wanted to hand us the game.

Also thought the ref was a bit strange with his decisions at times, when both teams stop and wonder if its their freekick you know something isn't right!

Your hospitality is great, the bar staff are friendly and the food from the tea bar went down a treat, your fans though are far too negative and as soon as Sarg scored the equaliser, it was as if we had already won. You need to get behind your team, they lack confidence but have the ability, but you already speak of which league you will be in next season.

Your manager is young but I remember him when he ran your youth team a few years ago, a good communicator that doesn't scream and shout every two minutes and the players seem to respond to him, hasnt he been at the club for a few years now?

Wish you all the best with the run-in, will look to pop down when I can, really enjoyed the evening and the club

For me Harefield were the better team over the 90+ mins and they deserved the win even when Harefield went down to ten men they looked like the team most likely to score it was a cracking second half from both teams both teams had more chances to score with some great last ditch defending from the Ashford defenders early in the second half but im afraid the Ashford capt was always fighting a losing battle. I thought the Harefield right back Jake Girt looked a good player.

Ashford Town just want to get this season over and start again next season their support looks at a all time low apart from the guys standing on the halfway line under cover. I think there was more Harefield supporters at the game.

A lot more noise from the Harefield bench as well which seemed to push Harefield on and the Ashford manager just seems to quiet to me and well out of his depth Ashford needed a manager who has been there and done it before in my opinion.

Ive said it before most of the Ashford players are not good enough for step 4 football but if they keep most of those players together for next season they may be better suited for step 5 football.

Your big tall centre half was superb and for me when he came off the pitch with an injury, that was the reason you lost the game.

The right midfielder that came off, must of been due to injury as he didn't look the same after he got the ball in the area that hurts most.

Your hospitality is great, the bar staff are friendly and the food from the tea bar went down a treat, your fans though are far too negative and as soon as Sarg scored the equaliser, it was as if we had already won. You need to get behind your team, they lack confidence but have the ability, but you already speak of which league you will be in next season.

Your manager is young but I remember him when he ran your youth team a few years ago, a good communicator that doesn't scream and shout every two minutes and the players seem to respond to him, hasnt he been at the club for a few years now?

Thanks for the well wishes. The supporters got a bit negative towards the end as we've had so many disappointments this season, and it just gets to you when the team loses impetus despite being a man up.

I'm assuming we'll be in the Spartan South Midlands if we go down, because there are too many Surrey sides near the bottom of the step 4 leagues and they'll probably fill the relegation spaces to the Combined Counties, and the Hellenic League may not be the best fit. I haven't assumed we're down yet, but the odds are against us and we need to do something quickly. If anyone knows an escapologist who can help us, tell them to give us a ring!

Ben, our 26-year-old manager, has indeed been us for a few years and he won a major coaching accolade last season. I'm surprised his hair hasn't turned grey this season!    :D  

Greg the centre half and Scott the right midfielder are new acquisitions to the club. I agree they look class. A shame we didn't get them at the start of the season, and I hope we manage to hold on to those lads.

As for the clubhouse and tea bar, we're very lucky to have gals who are friendly and serve up some fine fayre. I forgot to give them a mention before the game like I usually do. Too busy trying to decipher the team line-ups before mangling them over the tannoy!

Best of luck against Wealdstone. Should be an interesting and entertaining game.

Good post by HaresFan1 and i don't agree with Swifty about we are negative because we have had so many disappointments. We are negative because we are - most of our fans are the people that run the club. That's just an excuse - we are where we are for a reason look closer and delve deeper and you see it.....There is but one answer get behind the team, the whole team. YOU reap what you sow and that is why we find ourselves were we are.

I don't blame the Ashford Town supporters for being negative they have had a awful season to be far but agree it does not help the clubs situation by being negative.

Get Bobby Dawson the ex Hanworth Villa manager as the next Ashford Town manager he would get the club going in the right direction.

Archived