Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

President Bush

For those of you who keep going on about how great it is that we have free speech in this country - any comments on these 2 stories?

One man, Joe Gittings, sang self-penned protest songs through a loudhailer while the Star Spangled Banner was played.

His lyrics included one that said: "If you think the war is for oil shout no war".

He stopped after a warning from police he would be arrested if he carried on.

"As they settled into their occupation of the square, boos suddenly went up as man was arrested by police officers. The protester, Ross Monaghan of Dover, complained he had only been carrying an offensive placard. But arrested he was, and away he went"

and Zeal, before you make comments about these 'unwashed idiots', I don't care about their level of intelligence, or whether they have any soap - I care about the fact that everybody assumes we are allowed free speech in this country.

having free speech doesn't mean you can walk up to someone and say whatever you like.. it may be offensive.. you can say a racist is denied his right of free speech in that event.. who decides what is offensive? well in this case the big cops with the guns..

also there is probably some law about incitement of something they can use

They really are hippy-like. i saw some examples of protesters on the news last night, and they were all "hippy". There was one lawyer marching with them, but he felt a bit embarrased to be marching on the same march as them and informed the viewers that he wouldn't normally stand with these people, but he wanted to make a point to Bush.

Quote:
EFM's Librarian said:

One man, Joe Gittings, sang self-penned protest songs through a loudhailer while the Star Spangled Banner was played.
His lyrics included one that said: "If you think the war is for oil shout no war".
He stopped after a warning from police he would be arrested if he carried on.

I did see that on the news last night. What made me laugh is that a solitary voice shouted "no war" in response!!

the funny thing is, the Bush/IRA apologists on here wouldnt know there bones from their Grenson's, and are quite at home with a bottle of meths,obviuosly with a straw

c'mon people the images that are shown are what they want u to see

so an image of some dreadlocked student fits the stereotype perfectly

yours from the frontline

Canv - your definition of free-speech sounds very dubious to me. Yes - I do believe that everybody should be allowed to say what they want - if you find them offensive, its up to you to explain to that person why they're wrong.

As soon as you start coming up with definitions of 'free speech' you leave anyone in power with the perfect opportunity to silence anyone they disagree with.

I see what your saying Librarian, you can have free speech, but you should have the courtesy to respect other's feelings. You can say what you feel, but with a bit more courtesy and and explination of why you feel this way.

You can't just say something and not give a reason for your views as this is what causes most arguments as the other party doesn't understand why you feel upset with something.

I disagree Claire - I think you should be allowed to say exactly what you want without justification. I agree that it would be nice if people were courteous and respectful of others, but if they're not - tough! I think if someone says something stupid and can't back up their views, we should be intelligent enough to realise they're talking nonsense

Anyway, I would have thought all you right-wingers would have been standing up for less government intervention in all spheres of life?