Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Should this have been a yellow card?

The Unknown

I think the ref was justified looking at the video though at the time I did not think the yellow was justified. The rule was introduced to allow the goalkeeper time to kick the ball out after the 4 step and subsequent time penalty for holding the ball was introduced. The rule was introduced to keep the game moving.

Devyne jumped and if he had not jumped the ball would have gone sailing over his head and he would not have been cautioned. As it is he was clearly obstructing the goalkeeper in his attempt to clear the ball. He was looking at the ball and clearly aware of what he was doing despite turning his back on the keeper.

Yes Bobby jumped in order to divert the path of the keepers kick,but he was a fairly long way from the keeper at the time.

What if the forward was even further away from where Booby was standing and jumped to header a low kick-out by the keeper.Would that be foul? I think that if you are standing far enough away from the keeper for him to easily avoid you,then it shouldn't be a foul if he hits it low or straight enough that you are able to get a touch on.

That is one of the worst cautions given by a ref that i have ever seen. how the hell can you obstruct someone from 6 yards away, Keepers get far to much protection as it is without these sort of decisions going their way. bring back the good old shoulder charge i say. ;)

The goal keeper is the only player to have a time limit on his activities with the ball.

The goal keeper is the only player who when collecting the ball cannot shield or protect himself with his arms if he is going to catch the ball.

Bobby was not walking away from the player, his only object was to put the goal keeper off, a legitimate tactic and, if he had not jumped, I would have said it was an unfair decision but he jumped. How high must the goal keeper kick the ball in order to clear it. As for being five yards away he was the edge of the arc which puts him 4 yards away from the goalkeeper.

If there is a free kick which a clearance from a goalkeeper virtually is the opposition has to retreat 10yards, Clearly there can be no argument Bobby was intentionally obstructing a clearance from the goalkeeper. if you dont like the rules you shouldn't play the game.

Bobby was a good 8 yards away from the keeper when he kicked the ball.The keeper would have easily cleared him with a kick from his hands rather than trying to drop kick it..In my opinion is was probably a foul. (Just!) ,but no yellow card offense..Also, it IS all about distance away from a keeper when he releases the ball.Jump to try to block a ball from a yard or two away from the keeper and he has no chance to avoid you.Jump to try to block a low clearance from the keeper whilst 20 yards away from him is not a foul because he could have easily avoided you.Trying to intercept a ball kicked from the keepers hands is NOT an automatic foul.It is only a foul if you stop the keeper from having the oppotunity to release the ball cleanly without impediment.

Freeze frame 6 seconds in and you will see Bobby jumping on the edge of the arc with goalkeeper on his line. That is a distance of 4 yards if Bobby was directly in front of the keeper.

Yellow card was justified as it was the equivalent of not retreating 10 yards at a free kick.

I still feel that if Bobby not jumped he would not have received a yellow card. Jumping from 4 or even 5 yards was impeding the goalkeepers clearance.

When the keeper released the ball to kick it,he was a good two or three yards inside his own area.Also Bobby was a yard to the right of the keepers run-up.As such Bobby was a good distance away.I would suggest this distance is at the limit of what would be classed as being able to impede a properly stuck clearance.

Archived