Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tuesday/Wednesday 29/30 September - SSML Results/Reports

2 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Premier Division

Leverstock Green 1 North Greenford United 0

Leverstock Green's trademark early match report:

http://levgreenfc.co.uk/event/200929f/

7 hours ago, AlwaysLeighton said:

Well, in my opinion, I think they’re just not set up in the right away at all. Bringing in a manager who is supposedly ‘full-time’, at Step 5? They’re the smallest club in Biggleswade! 

AlwaysLeighton - Biggleswade United Chairman Guillem Balague usually puts a video up on Twitter straight after a game and particularly after a defeat to 'explain away' a poor performance and give a general update about the Club, he's very hands on and popular but on this occasion is conspicuous by his absence. I wonder if he feels he might have made the wrong decision in bringing Cristian Colas back to Second Meadow where he was previously for three seasons, and 163 games, before leaving for Staines Town in May 2018 where he was heralded as the 'Pep Guardiola of the lower leagues' however only lasted in the job until mid September 2018 after a very poor start to the 2018/19 campaign and was unceremoniously, albeit harshly, dismissed. Anyway hopefully things will pick up starting against Tring Athletic on Saturday however they will be desperate for a win themselves having lost their first four league games. 

14 hours ago, GRS67 said:

Shocking performance tonight from Edgware, 0-6 home defeat to a decent Harpenden side. Going to be a long season if this is anything to go by (unless it's null and void!) 

Mr Moore will sort them out before there next game. He may well stick himself on the pitch for the next game ?

#Theydontmakeemlikemooreanymore

14 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Premier Division

Leverstock Green's trademark early match report:

A groundhopper from another Forum was present at Pancake Lane last night, it's sad though that a report is more about Covid-19 than the actual football:

Leverstock Green 1 North Greenford United 0
SSM Premier
Pancake Lane
Admission: £7
Programme: £1
Attendance: 79 h/c

Only one goal and that was scored in the second minute! However a good game with plenty of good football but few clear chances, Leverstock came the closest to adding further goals with a shot well saved in first half and another headed off the line in the second half.
I saw another post stating that posters should not mention Co-vid/track and trace procedures at grounds- I feel this is wrong a many use this site for information and I am sure a number of our forum users would rather go to a ground that had good procedures in place rather than risk going to a club that is not bothered.
For those who are concerned about their safety and social distancing, I would recommend Leverstock, good track and trace procedures, plenty of room to social distance and a good table only service in the clubhouse, signs of a very well run club.

2 hours ago, Rhodes said:

A groundhopper from another Forum was present at Pancake Lane last night, it's sad though that a report is more about Covid-19 than the actual football:

Nothing is more important than Covid-19 it seems.

Twenty minutes on the bus, and a ten-minute walk, and I'm at Silver Jubilee Park, largely to see how midfielder Sam Ruff is fitting in at Harpenden Town, after spending the last three seasons at Cockfosters.

Sam was arguably the most surprising of this summer's departures from Chalk Lane, as he was one of the most popular of players there, and as recently as December had been co-opted on to the Club's management team.  I don't know what turned sour for Sam, one of the most likeable of men, but given the number of intrigues that are swirling around Chalk Lane at any given time, almost anything is possible.

Anyway, I digress:  Sam is fitting in just fine, although perhaps last night may not be the best example of this, as he and his team-mates will not pick up an easier three points all season.  The bare facts are that goals for Harpenden came from Harvey Scott on 17 and 34, Nathan McGreevy on 24, and Mulik Rickman on 38, 54 and 80, but in all honesty, there could have been many more.  And, it has to be said, Harpenden didn't even play that well -- they were sound at the back, passed the ball around neatly, and were first to every loose ball, which is, in effect, just doing the basics, but that was more than enough for Edgware.  I had a brief word with Fergus Moore afterwards, and, in all the time I have known him, I have never seen him so despondent.

I would also query (not maliciously) the rather fanciful attendance of 65 as recorded on FullTime -- I could only count thirty-seven.  Perhaps they include some free season ticket holders whether they turn up or not ?  No great matter.  Edgware don't have a game this weekend, but are on duty next Tuesday at Harefield, which is almost certainly likely to be be another difficult evening. 

Midweeks at SJP are usually followed by calling in to the Moon Under Water, in Colindale, a bar which would normally be open until midnight.  This is no longer possible, sadly , and so it was back on the bus and safely indoors by 10.15.  Ho-hum...  

This evening's two results:

Wednesday 30 September 

Premier Division

Baldock Town 3 Broadfields United 2

Division One

Langford 2 London Lions 3

Edited by Rhodes

3 hours ago, agamemnon3 said:

I would also query (not maliciously) the rather fanciful attendance of 65 as recorded on FullTime -- I could only count thirty-seven.  Perhaps they include some free season ticket holders whether they turn up or not ?  No great matter.  Edgware don't have a game this weekend, but are on duty next Tuesday at Harefield, which is almost certainly likely to be be another difficult evening. 

Midweeks at SJP are usually followed by calling in to the Moon Under Water, in Colindale, a bar which would normally be open until midnight.  This is no longer possible, sadly , and so it was back on the bus and safely indoors by 10.15.  Ho-hum...  

I can tell you categorically that we DON'T count ST holders regardless if they show  or not! 

I help look after the ST Applications, we had a handful of ST holders there last night, had we been counting ST regardless of attendance the crowd would have been around 120 as I've personally added the details of 60+ and I've got another 10 emails from applicants today! 

This is since the offer was opened up to our historic catchment area of HA8 postcode alongside NW9 already. 

I counted at least 60 there on Tuesday, maybe you lost count as you were so taken by Harpenden's performance on the night! 

I'll concede we were well beaten, in fact our first half performance was embarrassing, but we were playing a decent team, it won't be the last time Harpenden take a team apart. 

IMO Fergus lost the plot, he went 3 at the back in the second half 0-4 down with a 46 year striker turned CB who was beaten by pace all night! 

I fear we're going to get heavily beaten at Harefield next week what's of more importance is the match on Friday week with Tring in the Vase, that's a big game given what's on offer and that Tring are rock bottom, if we lose that questions will be asked! 

Edited by GRS67

Isn't football wonderful ?  After a 6-0 home defeat, the press officer comes on to argue about the attendance.

Ok, I didn't count the SSML blazers, or the five-strong Herts Press team, but 60 ?  Really ?  You must have counted all of the Harpenden subs and all of their hangers-on...  Anyway, as I said originally, NO GREAT MATTER...

To single out a 46-year-old for the defeat, however, is a cheap shot.  Had it not been for McLeish and McCluskey getting their bodies in the way, Harpenden would have scored fifteen.  Were you actually watching the game ?

I'll see you at Harefield on Tuesday.  We can count the crowd together.  If we have time, that is, what with all those goals flying in...    

4 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Division One

A groundhopper from another Forum was at Forde Park last night:

Spartan South Midlands League Division 1
Langford 2 London Lions 3
Admission £3 (concession inc free programme) Attendance c45 (headcount)

Despite the weather trying to put a dampener on things this was a decent match with goalmouth action at both ends. London Lions had by far the better of the first half, opening the scoring inside five minutes with a shot from the edge of the area. More opportunities came and went with the woodwork being rattled twice and one of the rebounds being fired over the bar from very close range. It was no surprise when the Lions went further in front when another effort was deflected beyond a wrong footed goalkeeper. Langford had their chances too with a one on one with the keeper being wasted and another shot being well saved.
Langford must have been given a gee up at half time as they came out on the front foot and were back level within ten minutes. A long throw and quick turn resulted in one goal and, when a burst into the area was stopped by a trip, the inevitable penalty gave Langford their second. They almost took the lead when a flick on following a corner was cleared off the line but Lions gradually managed to regain some composure and eventually a mazy run and cross created the opening that put them back in front. Langford huffed and puffed a bit towards the end but couldn't create anything meaningful and the final whistle left them with three straight defeats to start the season.
Forde Park is surrounded by fields on the road between Langford and Henlow. Its a two mile walk from Arlesey Station which is an option I thankfully didn't take tonight as it rained throughout my drive both there and back as well as for the whole duration of the match. Two areas of cover on one side of the pitch provided welcome shelter although a few hardy souls decided not to bother.

On 29/09/2020 at 22:56, Rhodes said:

Division One

Stotfold 2 St Panteleimon 1

The Cold End was at the New Roker Park on Tuesday evening, I wonder if a crate of champagne arrived at the ground on Wednesday from New Salamis:

https://www.stotfoldfc.co.uk/Matchreport.aspx?id=466354

http://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2020/09/a-very-rare-defeat-for-saints-as-eagles.html

Edited by Rhodes

12 hours ago, agamemnon3 said:

Isn't football wonderful ?  After a 6-0 home defeat, the press officer comes on to argue about the attendance.

Ok, I didn't count the SSML blazers, or the five-strong Herts Press team, but 60 ?  Really ?  You must have counted all of the Harpenden subs and all of their hangers-on...  Anyway, as I said originally, NO GREAT MATTER...

To single out a 46-year-old for the defeat, however, is a cheap shot.  Had it not been for McLeish and McCluskey getting their bodies in the way, Harpenden would have scored fifteen.  Were you actually watching the game ?

I'll see you at Harefield on Tuesday.  We can count the crowd together.  If we have time, that is, what with all those goals flying in...    

Agamemnon3 - I hope you've got your tin hat on for when GRS67 sees your post, he's not going to be happy, where were you in the ground out of interest, I take it that's not you in the photo:

Billede

14 hours ago, agamemnon3 said:

Firstly do make yourself known to me on Tuesday, I'll be the guy who has the big Edgware Town flag, you can't miss it! 

I'm guessing you're a neutral fan at this level?

Secondly, I'm not the 'press officer' that's so last millennium, I'm the newly appointed 'Media & Communications " basically a fancy title for saying I post on the club's social media, as well as driving to get fresh support from the local community by means of the Season Ticket offer which is why I was a bit put out with your comments re the attendance and suggestion that we count all ST regardless if they show up or not.

I'll agree with you on the comment that Scott did his best to keep out Harpenden in the first half but the move to 3 at the back left him exposed and had it not been for the fact they were 4 goals up it would have been a lot heavier defeat (not that 0-6 isn't) on the night. 

I won't comment any further on last Tuesdays game, we need to look forward and get our season back on track albeit its only been 3 games. 

I look forward to meeting you at Harefield next Tuesday, you better bring an abacus so you can count the attendance correctly! 

Edited by GRS67

G -- whatever your title, you need to speak to Antony and Carlos, because you don't even get a mention in the Irchester programme, despite being in the photograph on the cover.  Neutral ?  Yes. I suppose I am, now.  Up until 9.15pm last night I was a committee member at another Step 5 Club, but today is my first full day of freedom.

Where was Bradley Robinson on Tuesday ?  I had intended to sponsor him, only to find that he wasn't even there.  He was sorely missed.  I'll bring my abacus along next week -- you can borrow it to record all the goals going in...

R -- no, that isn't me in the photograph, I'm a much more imposing individual (!).  I'm on the other side, sitting in the stand, in splendid isolation.

1 hour ago, agamemnon3 said:

G -- whatever your title, you need to speak to Antony and Carlos, because you don't even get a mention in the Irchester programme, despite being in the photograph on the cover.  Neutral ?  Yes. I suppose I am, now.  Up until 9.15pm last night I was a committee member at another Step 5 Club, but today is my first full day of freedom.

Where was Bradley Robinson on Tuesday ?  I had intended to sponsor him, only to find that he wasn't even there.  He was sorely missed.  I'll bring my abacus along next week -- you can borrow it to record all the goals going in...

R -- no, that isn't me in the photograph, I'm a much more imposing individual (!).  I'm on the other side, sitting in the stand, in splendid isolation.

FYI Committee page in the programme hasn't been updated, it has on the website. 

Seems you know who I am, as I said come up and introduce yourself. 

Bradley hasn't been avaliable the last couple of games, clearly he's been missed. 

I'd be happy to take your money off you, how much would you like to sponsor him, full kit is £30 drop me a line at matchsecretary@edgwaretownfc.co.uk and I'll sort it. 

20200925_183625.jpg

Edited by GRS67

Match reports where found:

Tuesday 29 September 

Premier Division

Biggleswade United 1 Eynesbury Rovers 5

https://biggleswadeutd.com/Matchreport.aspx?id=473595

Crawley Green 2 Colney Heath 3

Edgware Town 0 Harpenden Town 6

London Colney 1 Oxhey Jets 4

https://www.oxheyjets.com/

Newport Pagnell Town 2 Potton United 2

https://www.nptfc.co.uk/teams/99763/match-centre/1-6378521

Tring Athletic 1 Aylesbury Vale Dynamos 2 

https://www.tafc.co.uk/report-r.php?fixture_id=3823

https://www.aylesburyvaledynamos.co.uk/teams/77541/match-centre/1-6378522/report

Wembley 0 Harefield United 2

Division One

Ampthill Town 0 Buckingham Athletic 2

https://www.sportsshots.org.uk/2020/09/29/ssmfld1-ampthill-town-0-buckingham-athletic-2/

Enfield Borough 3 Amersham Town 0

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/enfieldboroughfc/teams/154408/match-centre/1-6378938/report

London Tigers 1 Park View 2 

Rayners Lane 1 Milton Keynes Irish 5 

Stotfold 2 St Panteleimon 1

https://www.stotfoldfc.co.uk/Matchreport.aspx?id=466354

http://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2020/09/a-very-rare-defeat-for-saints-as-eagles.html

Wednesday 30 September 

Premier Division

Division One

Edited by Rhodes

3 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Wednesday 30 September 

Premier Division

No report as yet but here is the impressive match programme:

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/files.pitchero.com%2Fclubs%2F1770%2FTsYlsV7lTQC0uyN1wxRT_Programme_Vol+13_Iss3_Broadfields+Utd.pdf

On 30/09/2020 at 22:17, agamemnon3 said:

Anyway, I digress:  Sam is fitting in just fine, although perhaps last night may not be the best example of this, as he and his team-mates will not pick up an easier three points all season.  The bare facts are that goals for Harpenden came from Harvey Scott on 17 and 34, Nathan McGreevy on 24, and Mulik Rickman on 38, 54 and 80, but in all honesty, there could have been many more.  And, it has to be said, Harpenden didn't even play that well -- they were sound at the back, passed the ball around neatly, and were first to every loose ball, which is, in effect, just doing the basics, but that was more than enough for Edgware

Yes, I don't think I have ever seen six easier goals scored in a game:

20 hours ago, agamemnon3 said:

Up until 9.15pm last night I was a committee member at another Step 5 Club, but today is my first full day of freedom.

Enjoy your freedom ?

I was on a non league football club Committee up to the summer of 2018 and I don't miss it at all if I'm honest. I do miss seeing some of the Committee members though but that's it really.

G -- two seasons ago, I sponsored a young player at a Step 4 Club.  In between my handing over the cheque, and the cheque being cashed, the player had fallen out with his manager and left the Club.  So, if you don't mind, and with no disrespect implied, I will wait until I see Bradley in the green again before parting with any money.  Tuesday, perhaps.

S -- thank you.  Freedom is quite a relief, but it does come tinged with a little sadness.  I hadn't really intended to resign, but midway through Wednesday's meeting I realised that enough was enough.  The Club in question have recently appointed a new Chairman.  He is a complete oaf.  A noisy, self-important blusterer who shouts and whines and starts insulting people whenever he doesn't get his own way.  He has no manners, no self-awareness, and no sense whatsoever of how to conduct himself.  This is not to say that he hasn't done some good things at the Club.  He has, and takes every available opportunity to ensure that everyone knows about it.  Call me a snob, if you wish, but while in my working life I had sometimes to put up with people like this, in retirement I can see no reason why I should have to tolerate them at all.  As you say, I will miss the other members of the committee, who are good and decent men, and I regret that.  But it's done now, and it's right that I should move on. 

And, because I know that you're all wondering, (!), tomorrow the plan is to attend an Essex Senior League game between two ex-SSML sides.  Although the way the rain is coming down at the moment, I might be lucky to get a game in at all...