Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

SSML Reprieve for Jets?

Yesterday's step 4/5 playoff results might have done Oxhey Jets a huge favour, with Kempston staying up and Chalfont St Peter going down. The latter is ever so slightly more southerly than Jets, so in my view should be higher in the pecking order for movement to the CCL. If Kempston had lost their shoot out I think it would have been the final nail in the coffin and a sideways move to the CCL would have been inevitable.

View from the Boundary - Thanks for creating this thread, I see that a groundhopper from another Forum was at Chalfont St Peter yesterday, I won't fancy paying £2 for a coffee if it's decided that the CIub return to the SSML next season. AIso £9 was rather over the top for entrance wasn't it. 

Inter Step Play Off
Chalfont St Peter 0-4 Boldmere St Michaels
Adm £9, Att 313
You know you are in a posh part of the world when it is £2 for a coffee and three of the mascots are named Hugo.
Anyway, Tales From the Riverbank, your theory about the relative merits of lower level step 4 and good step 5 sides was completely vindicated by this excellent performance from the Sutton Coldfield team in front of a very good number of their own fans. On the front foot from the outset, as well as having aerial and ground dominance in defence, they never looked like being breached. The goals, two sharp angled finishes, a superb overhead kick and a simple tap-in from a corner, were just reward for an afternoon of dominance.
Mill Meadow is a slightly unusual ground with a fairly large stand and banking behind one goal, and a few rows of uncovered seats behind the other but just standing down each side. On the whole I liked it, especially in the glorious warm sunshine after a slightly chilly week.

A  groundhopper from another Forum was aIso at the Kempston Rovers Play-Off:

Kempston Rovers 2-2 Eccleshill United  AET, KR won 5-4 on pens

Step 4/5 play off. Hillgrounds. Att.184 Adm £9 / £5 concessions. Programme available on line.
Another match between step 4 & 5 teams where it was very difficult to see which team was at which level. The visitors started like a train totally dominating for the first 15 minutes or so and went close several times. Kempston did get into it as the half progressed and took the lead from a penalty, or rather the re-bound after it was saved by the keeper.
Shortly after the break Eccleshill deservedly equalised and shortly after took the lead but this last for about a further 15 minutes when a fine goal from a tight angle made it 2 apiece. Both sides had chances and clearly both tired as the game progressed especially in extra time.
Overall a draw was a fair result with both sides being evenly matched. I felt the visitors slightly edged it but fine margins. Kempston won on penalties, both sides having missed 1 out of the first 5. Match was played in good spirit and a good word for the Referee who was very good and let the game flow.
New ground for me which actually completed the Southern League Midlands Division although that may well change by next season. Perfectly functional ground for the level with all the facilities on one side.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we're off to the CCL then according to this https://fanbanter.co.uk/the-fa-announce-2022-23-club-allocations-for-steps-3-to-6/?fbclid=IwAR3h12ZRgXVIa4orba_L3LKJBw-NLHMmAvOZbpEGwSKqekxOWej1Fv4MmKA

Last couple of projections I saw would've seen us remain in the SSMPL though another had Levy Green and below (incl the 2 Colneys) in the CCL. Obviously all this is still dependent on appeals.

On 01/05/2022 at 16:41, Rhodes said:

View from the Boundary - Thanks for creating this thread, I see that a groundhopper from another Forum was at Chalfont St Peter yesterday, I won't fancy paying £2 for a coffee if it's decided that the CIub return to the SSML next season. AIso £9 was rather over the top for entrance wasn't it. 

Inter Step Play Off
Chalfont St Peter 0-4 Boldmere St Michaels
Adm £9, Att 313
You know you are in a posh part of the world when it is £2 for a coffee and three of the mascots are named Hugo.
Anyway, Tales From the Riverbank, your theory about the relative merits of lower level step 4 and good step 5 sides was completely vindicated by this excellent performance from the Sutton Coldfield team in front of a very good number of their own fans. On the front foot from the outset, as well as having aerial and ground dominance in defence, they never looked like being breached. The goals, two sharp angled finishes, a superb overhead kick and a simple tap-in from a corner, were just reward for an afternoon of dominance.
Mill Meadow is a slightly unusual ground with a fairly large stand and banking behind one goal, and a few rows of uncovered seats behind the other but just standing down each side. On the whole I liked it, especially in the glorious warm sunshine after a slightly chilly week.

Every time I played at Chalfont the pitch always seemed to be really heavy. 

On 12/05/2022 at 19:49, View from the Boundary said:

Looks like we're off to the CCL then according to this https://fanbanter.co.uk/the-fa-announce-2022-23-club-allocations-for-steps-3-to-6/?fbclid=IwAR3h12ZRgXVIa4orba_L3LKJBw-NLHMmAvOZbpEGwSKqekxOWej1Fv4MmKA

Last couple of projections I saw would've seen us remain in the SSMPL though another had Levy Green and below (incl the 2 Colneys) in the CCL. Obviously all this is still dependent on appeals.

yes, the CIub appear to be content with their move to the CCL, how do you feeI about it personaIIy, aII those new grounds to visit next season such as BroadfieIds United, FIackweII Heath, North Greenford United, HarefieId United, London Lions, WembIey and Edgware Town, sorry Edgware & kingsbury ?:

Billede

Edited by Rhodes

It could have been a lot worse I think, but they've rejigged q uite a bit from this season. Will miss my trips to Cotlandswick in particular, especially if I have to go to Wallingford midweek! Been to Staines and Wokingham 30+ years ago, they probably don't even play in the grounds now. I remember the latter had a double garden conservatory behind one goal, never seen anything like it before or since!

View from the Boundary - To be honest I wouldn't mind a change of scenery now and again rather than the same old same old season in season out, many Club's have been in the SSML since the South Midlands League and Spartan League joined together in 1997, Old Bradwell United, Pitstone & Ivinghoe, Totternhoe, London Colney and Langford spring to mind to name just five.