Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Braintree

23 hours ago, Ian g f said:

Used to get big gates at the dolphin We were well financed but there was more local interest The secondary school iwent to raggy road lot of us went to the dolphin

Very different times,though. Back then football was more a working class game and was an escape from the daily grind and there wasn't loads of choice in terms of entertaiment. Local people tended to stay local but apart from the Covid outbreak, is that going to be the case in the future? Football will always be popular but are youngsters the same as they were? What with computers, umpteen television channels and loads of other things to do, plus the advent of multi-culturalism, I wouldn't say non league football clubs and lower professional league football are assured of a bright future. Bit like how our Great British pubs are going !

I'm not trying to be Victor Meldrew or Alf Garnett when I say this. I'm just noticing how the grass roots local rugby union sides are faring. Local teams used to have about 5 teams,now they struggle to get one !

Quite a few non league football clubs are in trouble because of dwindling numbers through the turnstiles and the aftermath of the Covid outbreak.

To me it's a blessing that Slough Town FC has attracted new owners and didn't get relegated this past season but I'm not expecting Slough next season to be making huge in roads up the table. Breaking the bank on expensive signings after what has gone on this season[on and off the pitch] doesn't strike me as a sensible club policy.

I would have thought a player like Nathan Minhas at Beaconsfield should be the type of signing Slough ought to be making in pre-season. I'm sure Scott will have a few experienced players in mind to bring in but it's really going to be down to what this new club board can afford.   

Edited by 3spirit

1 hour ago, 3spirit said:

Very different times,though. Back then football was more a working class game and was an escape from the daily grind and there wasn't loads of choice in terms of entertaiment. Local people tended to stay local but apart from the Covid outbreak, is that going to be the case in the future? Football will always be popular but are youngsters the same as they were? What with computers, umpteen television channels and loads of other things to do, plus the advent of multi-culturalism, I wouldn't say non league football clubs and lower professional league football are assured of a bright future. Bit like how our Great British pubs are going !

I'm not trying to be Victor Meldrew or Alf Garnett when I say this. I'm just noticing how the grass roots local rugby union sides are faring. Local teams used to have about 5 teams,now they struggle to get one !

Quite a few non league football clubs are in trouble because of dwindling numbers through the turnstiles and the aftermath of the Covid outbreak.

To me it's a blessing that Slough Town FC has attracted new owners and didn't get relegated this past season but I'm not expecting Slough next season to be making huge in roads up the table. Breaking the bank on expensive signings after what has gone on this season[on and off the pitch] doesn't strike me as a sensible club policy.

I would have thought a player like Nathan Minhas at Beaconsfield should be the type of signing Slough ought to be making in pre-season. I'm sure Scott will have a few experienced players in mind to bring in but it's really going to be down to what this new club board can afford.   

Clubs have got to provide something different/variety of stuff to lure the punters in.

Apart from our relegation battle I'm sure a part of the reason why our recent games were well attended was the advertising and product provided that appealed to people rather than just holding a game of football.

A bit like what high streets are having to do to get the public to get off their backsides to visit the high street rather than sitting on their computers ordering stuff.

I don't think anyone is expecting us to make huge inroads or break the bank next season on expensive signings just because we've hopefully got new owners, just being more competitive pushing for a play-off place is probably a more realistic aim.

Regarding Nathan Minhas, it does seem strange that a local striker who has for a number of seasons scored goals at the level below and doesn't seem to have been on our radar before.

Or perhaps he has and it's simply that previous managers don't think he can make the step up.

Not forgetting that there are some players that like to play as local as possible and are virtually guaranteed a game which Nathan Minhas is at Beaconsfield. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 minute ago, Reading Rebel said:

Clubs have got to provide something different/variety of stuff to lure the punters in.

Apart from our relegation battle I'm sure a part of the reason why our recent games were well attended was the advertising and product provided that appealed to people rather than just holding a game of football.

A bit like what high streets are having to do to get the public to get off their backsides to visit the high street rather than sitting on their computers ordering stuff.

I don't think anyone is expecting us to make huge inroads or break the bank next season on expensive signings just because we've hopefully got new owners, just being more competitive pushing for a play-off place is probably a more realistic aim.

Regarding Nathan Minhas, there must be a reason why a local striker who has for a number of seasons scored goals at the level below hasn't been on our radar before.

Or perhaps he has and previous managers don't think he can make the step up.

Nathan Minhas's consistent goal scoring at Southern Premier level should lead to him playing at Slough's level. If Slough don't get him some other ambitious local club will snap him up eventually.

He may have been on better wages at Beaconsfield last season[given Slough's troubles] but this season he ought to be well and truly on Scott's potential signings list. I believe he was on our previous joint manager's radar[when at Slough] but for whatever reason it didn't come to pass.

28 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

Nathan Minhas's consistent goal scoring at Southern Premier level should lead to him playing at Slough's level. If Slough don't get him some other ambitious local club will snap him up eventually.

He may have been on better wages at Beaconsfield last season[given Slough's troubles] but this season he ought to be well and truly on Scott's potential signings list. I believe he was on our previous joint manager's radar[when at Slough] but for whatever reason it didn't come to pass.

I think I remember he ventured out into the wilds of Hampton & Richmond a few season ago and for whatever reason it didn't work out.

There could be lots of reason why a player doesn't sign for clubs from something as simple as wanting to play most games and do as little travelling as possible which is what he gets at Beaconsfield.

Edited by Reading Rebel

6 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

I think I remember he ventured out into the wilds of Hampton & Richmond and for whatever reason it didn't work out.

There could be lots of reason why a player doesn't sign for clubs from something as simple as wanting to play most games and do as little travelling as possible which is what he gets at Beaconsfield.

I wouldn't think Bakes and Unders will be keen to let him go if they intend to stay at Beaconsfield and build a team to win their division,as he's one of their better players, and as we know getting a decent striker who actually bangs the ball into the back of the net is hard to come by.  That said though Slough ought to be able to offer Nathan the chance to progress and at least, play in front of a larger, livelier crowd ! ha ha 

As you say it didn't work out for him at Hampton but he's a few seasons wiser now, and that shouldn't be a reason not to take a chance on him. 

29 minutes ago, 3spirit said:

I wouldn't think Bakes and Unders will be keen to let him go if they intend to stay at Beaconsfield and build a team to win their division,as he's one of their better players, and as we know getting a decent striker who actually bangs the ball into the back of the net is hard to come by.  That said though Slough ought to be able to offer Nathan the chance to progress and at least, play in front of a larger, livelier crowd ! ha ha 

As you say it didn't work out for him at Hampton but he's a few seasons wiser now, and that shouldn't be a reason not to take a chance on him. 

Not keen yes but as we know they would never stand in the way of a playing moving up the pyramid.

Forget the livelier bit, just a crowd would be a good start 😅