Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

When Millwall came to town

Here’s one for the Historians. With Millwall coming soon with there under 21’s it reminded me of a quickly arranged game against a Millwall first team squad after a big winter freeze I think back in the 80’s. I saw the announcement that evening in the Evening News or Standard newspaper. Not many supporters attended due to the quick arrangement. It was still a freezing evening and the Urchins put on  fine display against a 3 division  Millwall. ‘ If my memory serves me well’ ( every pun intended) the game was a 0-0 stalemate but with lots of goal action both ends.

Does anyone also have this memory or am I the sole survivor.

I too have a memory albeit once removed.

My friend at school worked on the gate at that time (which is how I got to follow Hornchurch) and I remember him telling me about it the day after.

Despite the fearsome reputation of Millwall supporters and the panicked looked on the sole police officer on duty when he was told Millwall were coming it passed off without incident 😀

This must have been 1980 or 81 I think.

EXTRACT FROM THE HISTORY OF HORNCHURCH

The final match of 1981 took place on the 5th December, at the Dripping Pan, where Lewes took the lead on twenty minutes. Liam Joughin had a shot headed off the line and Phil Sammons hit the post. Lewes went further ahead early in the second half, and went further ahead on 79 minutes. Hornchurch replied immediately through Steve Thompson, but a speculative long range shot made the final score 4-1, to inflict the first away defeat since August in a league match.

The weather then took control, wiping out almost four weeks, and the next match took place on New Year’s Day. Hornchurch won 3-1, but for the next two weeks the only winner was the weather, apart from a hastily arranged friendly against Millwall, who, despite fielding their full first team, only won by 1-0.

LINE-UP -

Tue, 19-Jan-82, H, Millwall, 0-1, Harrold, Pedder, Hickey, Hopkins, Jones (Joughin), Whyte, Sammons, Gaine (Cocayne), Stewart (Rhodes), Wilsmore, Bennett.

On Monday 18-Jan-1982 Hornchurch played away at Chesham Utd (result 0-0).

After the Millwall match the next home game did not take place until 02-February, when Hornchurch lost 1-0 to Leyton-Wingate in the Elizabethan Trophy.