Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Billericay 2-1 Maldon WLC

Simon BTFC

Our first win in this competiton for quite some time...

Started well, but Maldon with the wind at their backs carved out a number of chances which were wasted by Simon Parker. Parker gave Maldon the lead shortly before half time when he capitalised on a slip by Pat.

2nd half we equalised through Danny Hockton who headed home a Simmons cross. Bourne came on and set up the winner, sending in a cross that Lee Williams made a hash of, setting up Hockers for his second.

Millard

Tarkan Sappleton Trott Kerrigan

Wareham Simmons Game Lay

Elder Hockton

Poole for Elder

Bourne for Lay

SNU: Dobson, Smith, Brightley

A win and one that was expected.

Okay, lets pick through the bones. In the opening 20 minutes we were all over them, then Parrott took control of the midfield and although Maldon did press, they went close but they didn't really hurt us until Pat slipped and let their No. 10 in. Unfortunate would be the best way to discribe that.

Second half our fitness took control and for the 2nd time this season, to quote Ryan when I spoke to him last night, "Maldon were blowing out of their (collective) [****!!****]". Our midfield begain to work despite some hard work again by Parrott (who in my mind is wasted at the club). A great cross by Simmo to provide Hockers with his 9th goal of the season. Bourne then came on for Lay and 10 minutes later provided the cross for Hockers to score his 10th of the season.

It would be churlish to be an armchair manager but I would've liked to have seen Game or Smith in the right back position to give Musti a run in midfield. The centre of midfield missed Leon Hunter and some!!! To those that knock Hunter, some were grumbling (under duress) that we were missing him. But I will say, Simmo and Game did come back in the second half and they both played very well on Saturday.

Nathan is looking as if he needs a goal. His confiedence is not as it was and a goal will do him good. It'll come. He's battling and battering of the centre backs is essential to our sucess.

Danny Hockton is looking sharper and as the game went on played better.

Tom Poole is growing in confidence and he is getting cheekier. His lob shot from way outside of the area last night was a surprise to both the supporters and their goal keeper.

Trakan is settling in very well and I hope we sign him on a permanent.

Kerrigan played another good game and Trotty was bossing the guys to do their job as was his position as captain. I would like him to see him retain that to give Leon a chance to get on with his game and boss the midfield.

The rest of the guys all did their jobs in the second half and considering the opposition, it was a run out before we play Heybridge this coming Saturday...

Hmm I was pleased to get the win especially coming from behind (phnarr) but felt in truth it was a pretty grim effort.

The game could have been beyond us by half-time had Parker finished better but again our superior fitness told in the latter stages.

Positives I thought the two Danny s both had good games, Chris Bourne played his most effective football of the season for me and there was a nice cameo from Tom Poole.

On the downside though I remain sceptical as to whether Ricky is the right man between the sticks and our midfield was missing for most of the match. Ross and Gameo's versatility makes them useful to our squad but Simmo and especially George aren't upto it in my view and I would sacrifice them to try and bring in a decent central midfielder.

Hope it doesnt sound too harsh as we've won the game and that's what matters but we must set our sights higher than scrambling past very moderate sides.

As already mentioned the first half was poor, but I thought it encouraging how the lads came out and performed a lot better in the 2nd half. Simmons was poor in the first half, but stepped it up well in the 2nd half. Hockers looks like he is near to his best now he's getting a run of games. The defence was strong again, but Millard looked unconvincing and made a few mistakes, but it was only his 2nd game. Lay was not good, but at least he put the effort in last night, which is an improvement. Didn't think Muzzy did enough last night either. I still think we need to bring in an experienced central mdifielder.

--------------------------------------------------

www.billericaytownfc.20m.com