Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Penalty

Harold,you just beat me to it with this thread.

This is not because Taylor has already missed the kick, but I did think at the time before he took the kick think that it was a wrong move having him step up to take it.He is not scoring goals,missing easy opportunities & still young.The timing of the penalty required an experienced player.Taylor seems to be a bit of an arrogant player if what I am seeing is correct.Probably believes he is better than what he is.Does some great foot-overs in the game with good close ball control but rarely does anything afterwards with the ball.I agree only ONE player should have stepped up to take that kick & that should have been Bertie without a shadow of a doubt.The most talented player on the pitch by far.I said this BEFORE the kick was taken and I am saying it again AFTER the miss.

I purposely went behind the goal to watch and the keeper moved a second before Taylor strode up to take the kick. The keeper was already going to his left yet even though the gap had opened to his other side Taylor shot to the side the keeper had ALREADY moved to.A slight adjustment of any kind would have seen him put into the other side and a goal was easily achievable there. He must have seen the keeper move that way surely? Whoever decided that it was HE who would take the kick wants a kick themselves..up the backside.

Dead right, the keeper moved early and Taylor didn't adjust. My heart sank when he lined up to take it, for the reasons others state above.

However, Brayley being the new man would have been under a lot of pressure. I would definitely have asked Keister to take it. He can kick the ball bloody hard and accurately (although I remember he blasted one over the bar last year).

But Keister does seem to "sky" balls at times and that would be a worrying aspect for me should HE have stepped up to take it.He HAS done it before in these situations if my memory serves me right. However his experince would have been a better option than that of Taylors.A definate wrong move at a crucial time.

Keister or Edwards as very experienced players were other options.

Seemed strange to geive Bertie the Captains armband. Perhaps no-one else wants it -

Mitten, Green, Allmann (first or second match), Gradley, Edwards (during a match) have had it already this year. Possibly others.

I remember last season at Ashford we were awarded a penalty and Rocky got ready to take it but CK shouted 'No Clarkie takes it'. Clarkie took and scored the penalty. The point being that the penalty taker had already been decided upon before the game started. So perhaps Charlie had been nominated as penalty taker before the kick off.

That may have been so Zhuckov but in circumstances such as yesterday I would have imagined a change of opinion should have been made and a re-assessment of the taker should have been made. Taylor has scored one goal with more-or-less a tap in this year but has skied lots of others.The fact that Bertie,Edwards(not so sure about his penalty taking, though he is on a scoring spree so he may well have done the job) or even Allman,with their far superior experience should have got involved. I doubt we will see Taylor taking one again but then again CK might read this and let him do so anyway just to show that I am wrong. Even if he did and scored the next one it wont make up for yesterdays miss.

Quote:
zhukov said:
I remember last season at Ashford we were awarded a penalty and Rocky got ready to take it but CK shouted 'No Clarkie takes it'. Clarkie took and scored the penalty. The point being that the penalty taker had already been decided upon before the game started. So perhaps Charlie had been nominated as penalty taker before the kick off.

I remember that well Zhokov.That too was at a vital stage in the game.I see some similarities with Taylor with that of Baptiste in that both seem to think they have more in their lockers than they have in reality.Both seem to slightly overate their own abilities. (I remember Talylor's response when he did score that goal at HP the other week). Both wanted the kick. One didnt get it and we scored and the other did take it & missed,thus leaving us without a point of any kind.

Quote:
zhukov said:
Cookie, Rocky is doing just fine with Havant.
I hope Charlie can score as many as he has this season.

i think thats our biggest problem not having resignd che and rocky, they both could hold up the ball creat and score chances by themselfs.

where our strickers require spoon feeding it seems.

I feel the need to even things up Cookie, and agree with you here. Rocky's ability is without question, but he has an unfortunate "style" that is amplified when things are not going well. But too often last year, he looked someway short of the effort that we expect and that other players put in. And his reaction at Hornchurch when substituted was bang out of order.

I pointed out an incident last season involving the taking of a penalty kick and the decision about who should take it was decided by CK. This was to add to the discussion about Saturday's penalty. Now it has become an anti Rocky rant which is totally unrelated to the discussion.

Both the players I mentioned Clarkie and Rocky served the club well and if you want to see them again go and watch Welling and Havent on Tuesday night along with another good club servant Che.

The thread was going nicely until brought up the subject of Rocky Zhukov. Besides whats the matter lately, can people not talk about what they want anymore. Do we have to go through certain channels and censureship first. Goodness me we cant seem to breathe now without being got at. Zhukov,it was you who brought the ROCKY thing into the discussion in the first place so why shouldnt we react and reply. It is still talking about penalties as he was as you mentioned a part of that incident at Ashford. Some people are beginning to get very choosy about what we can say on here these days. Whats going on? Where is an anti Rocky rant going on for goodness sake.A few comments and thats it.

The point I was trying to make was that Rocky & Taylor have similarities concerned with penalties & with their attitude. Whos after watching them play anyway? For goodness sake, be nice, dont rock the boat, dont be negative, say what certain people want to hear or shut up. Is that the way this forum is heading.

The point about my posting was about who makes the decision about the penalty taker. From the evidence of last season and the incident I referred to was that CK made the decision.

Whether this is still the case or whether the captain has that responsibility we dont know. It may have been a spur of the moment decision. In an earlier game the experienced John Keister took the penalty. Whether his position on the coaching side enabled him to take the penalty we dont know.

In both cases the penalty kicks were unsuccessful.