Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Redbridge 3-1 Margate. First impressions.

Chris1

We had most of the play, but let ourselves down at both ends of the pitch. Our opponents played the same 3-at-the-back system as us but our attack didn’t take advantage.

As so often we gave away a soft goal in the first few minutes. If I am not mistaken it went in straight from the throw with 3 defenders and the keeper in attendance.

We missed chances throughout the match. Mainly half-chances it’s true, but that’s what strikers are there for. Redbridge couldn’t have had more than 5 attempts at goal in total (not including the first goal, which was not an attempt).

Taylor managed to score a sitter after good work by Brayley and especially Amoako. That was his only shot on target that I remember.

Their second was from a corner, straight to the feet of their man, tapped in from about 10 yards. If Deen was meant to be picking him up then he was standing the wrong side of him.

Keister passed straight to their forward for the third goal when not under pressure. A speculative 20-yarder found its way into the bottom corner when Charlie seemed to think it was going wide.

After substitutions we looked better, but still couldn’t find the net. Allman went close with a flyer that was tipped over, and Brayley had a couple blocked. Hilaire (I think) hit the woodwork and Amoako shot wide from close range.

Brayley looked class again, and worked hard from start to finish.

Bad refereeing, mostly in the home team’s favour, especially no penalty for the blatant handball in the second half. Gave a number of decisions based on how loud the home team asked for them.

If there is anything to ease today’s disappointment, you can say that Redbridge played with heart and determination way above their league position. They fielded quite a few new players and their coach was vocal throughout. If they keep on like this they could get out of trouble, which of course will be bad news for the other relegation contenders!

Defence:

Mitten 4: a good save in the second half, but beaten from near and far. If he is not fit the manager will have to find someone to stand in.

Keister 4: generally worked hard and cleared well. To blame for goal 3.

Edwards 3: not a great match.

Donovan 7: good defending, and got his boot in well at times. Came up a few times for set-pieces but looks clumsy in attack.

Wingbacks:

Oates 6: not quite match fit, but it was good to see him back. He is a natural in that position and looks classy.

Allman 5: passes went astray. The 25-yarder tipped over near the end shows he can do things at that end of the pitch.

Midfield:

Deen 5: some misplaced passes that put us in trouble. Tried hard though.

Standen 4: found space, but usually when the opposition were attacking. Forward passes did not come off in the main. Should have shot when he didn’t, blasted it wide when he did. Not to blame for the result, before his detractors jump in.

Brayley 8: always class. Excellent ball control. Needs strikers he can rely on, because at time you could see him going it alone because he didn’t trust them. Should have taken the free kick on the edge of the area he won.

Attack:

Amoako 6: hard working but didn’t get many chances. Put his best one wide from close range. Made our goal.

Taylor 2: I don’t know what he was on during the holiday, but it certainly wasn’t performance-enhancing drugs. He doesn’t compete for the ball enough; he just stands around unless it comes straight to him. He didn’t know it was offside when he missed from about 2 yards, and that was just one of many. A team mate was uncomplimentary about him, I won’t say who out of politeness. Must try harder, or else he will have to go.

Subs:

McGowan (Standen) looked lively and seems to bring purpose to our attacks.

Hilaire (Taylor) the same.

Sesay (Keister) played exactly where we have all been asking but unfortunately in the short time available did nothing worth a mention.

It is disappointing for the many Gate fans who were there, to see us have so much of the play and yet achieve such a poor result. As always I will be interested to see what others thought. Personally I feel we need strengthening up front and at the back. I am not knocking Bill and John who have been great servants to the club, but we have to get organised at the back with better marking and stop giving away these early goals.

I have just been reading the usual ‘sack the manager’ comments. He shows a lot of loyalty to players when he might be more ruthless, and I personally would like to see 4 at the back. We couldn’t have expected to do anything other than stay up this year, and I think the critics will be proved wrong.

I feel alot more mouth should be coming from Keister and Edwards, there the old men, get the youngens going. Keister back into midfield for that as well.

Brayley had moments of class today, but he needs to pass more before losing it! I'll never put the boy wonder down, he is my new manche, but don't be afraid to give the others a chance.

If i was Kinnear i would play 4-4-2 and this will be my team line up.

Mitten GK

Oates RB

Allman LB

Edwards CB

Donovan CB

Brayley RM

Sesay LM

Keister CM

McGawen CM

Amoako CF

Hillaire CF

When Gradley is fit i would play him instead of McGowen and if the this Irish player is good then i would either play him instead of Keister.

very fair report. I do not understand playing standen and leaving McGowan on the bench.When Gavin came on he showed strength,pace and hunger. Maybe i am being controversial,why not try him up front, as i have said he has strength pace and hunger plus he is strong enough to hold of an apponent,more importantly hold up the ball.I do not like to critisise players,but Charlie Taylor is out of his depth at this level,he is not showing the hunger and passion and does not chase.Though i agree Adolph ran his heart out he also fails to chase and put pressure on,ie the keeper going to collect the ball,put pressure on,force the mistake.I believe this lack of penetration at the front is making our defense look worse than it actualy is. I felt sorry for Bertie tonight,every where he went he was marked by 2 if not 3 players which in the end led to frustration aad a booking. On the other foot if our chances had come of we could have gone in at 1/2 time 3-1 up.As for the new signing, he seems a nice guy. I think/hope we see him next week.he says he got 4 in his last 6 games.Last point where i agree is we desperatly need a new keeper,Charlies injury is a liability.I know how hard ck as being trying to get a keeper in. A win on saterday is know a must.