Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The reserve side debate

michael

The above topic keeps rearing its head from time to time;and like many others i would like to see it happen.

In practice however are we not all being completely unrealistic.

To run a reserve side we would need a total squad of about 28 players,(on basis that at anyone time of those 28 about 6 would be either injured, unavailable or suspended.

You could probably make up the balance with about 7-8 trialists/youth, local wannabbees at anyone time.

However, MFC official squad would need to be about 28 players in total.

Then you need a manager,coach ,physio for each reserve game.

Thereby you need to pay about 11 more personnel than currently.

Home crowds would probably be about 50.

You would probably have about 18 home games.

So how do you pay for the additional 11 guys.

Then there is wear and tear on pitch.Extra admin.cost of travel.Cost of entry to competitions etc.

It just does not add up i am afraid.

What i would like to see is much as present, maybe one friendly played per month against local sides-Folkstone, Dover,Bromley Gravesend ,Ashford etc. home and away, so you know there is a regular 'other game 'to see once a month to stimulate interest , help players overcome injury, trialists etc.

You almost have a fixture list for the friendlies, but maybe over a season only play about 8 friendly games -4 home, 4 away(but local),but at least they are diarised and you can plan your attendance and even publicise the game to maybe get 200 to attend.

what do you all think.

For those who still insist on a proper reserve side, can you explain the economics please

Michael,in response to your view,my take on this is

There are probably well in of excess of twenty players alreading training here,we only know of the signed players,upping this number wouldnt be difficult and those not signed must be of a certain standard or they wouldnt be here,but they turn up every week without any payment,in the hope that they make CK take note of them.

It might be an ideal opportunity for Keister to get experience if he was serious about coaching/managing

im sure we could find an up and comming physio who would jump at the chance,just for experience,and not demand silly payment.

signed players involved in reserve games get paid anyway,im sure those that dont figure regular in the first team would welcome the games,just to show CK what he might be missing.

i agree the runnung costs of the ground on matchdays could be a stumbling block,but could these games be played on the training ground if there was lack of interest from supporters,other clubs have this arrangment,so it could be worked out so the costs are kept to a minimum

I played for the margate reserves and wasn't paid for it. I would play for the first team for free. I'd just be honoured to pull on the blue shirt.

As for for the manager... I would do that for free aswell (maybe just claim any expenses). I have volunteered my sevices but have had no reply.

I've played with and against lots of decent players in thanet. There's enough out there for a squad of 28 as you suggest. If they play football every weekend having TO PAY subs, whats to say they wont play for a team where they don't have to pay, but don't get paid either?

I think areserve side is really important. I only know of one top class team who ever scrapped their resrve team and that was Newcastle and even theyb had the sense to go back on that stupid decision quite quickly.

Margate badly need more local players with a hunger to play for the team. A good youth policy and reserve team would more than pay for itself and also increase local interest in the club.