Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

why! why WHY!

Can't we get Reading in a friendly?

Look at this:

Reading have announced the dates of three pre-season friendlies, in preparation for their first season in the Premiership.

Steve Coppell's newly-promoted side will visit Ryman Premier Division outfit Bromley on 15 July.

The Royals will then visit League Two side Northampton Town on 22 July, and travel to Championship strugglers Millwall four days later.

The Berkshire club will also tour Sweden in late July or early August.

Probably because you don't have a Palace link - Mark Goldberg is now involved at Bromley, having previously bought Palace from Ron Noades. I imagine Goldberg and Coppell had some sort of relationship as a result and so this would be a calling in of favours.

It is about who you know, not where you are geographically

I do feel we could do with some decent friendlies this year. Can't see why we can't get a Wycombe and a Hayes Friendly and Maybe Maidenhead and Slough as they will be in different leagues. Need some teams that will give us a good seeing to than the little clubs we usually play.

Not much of an answer Woody, our pitch will be no worse than any other team at our level next year, especially seeing as we are going to drop a division. Look at the junk we play on week in week out away from home, ours is no worse or better in general

Fuzzy, I think where Woody is coming from is professional teams these days will only play friendies with clubs that have high quality pitches i.e. Staines at our level. With the money in today's game they don't want to be suffering injuries because of uneven playing surfaces. The other times is when the manager maybe has a personal contact i.e. someone will do a favour, a testimonial or if its part of some player transfer deal ala Wealdstone. Otherwise if you do get a pro team you're only going to get kids. But I bet if you go through our league apart from the AFC, Staines etc who have very good pitches I bet none of them will be playing leading pro sides. Unfortunately in our case gone are the days of the Arsenals from yesteryear. The only real possibility for us would be Wycombe. Now Reading are in the Premiership they wouldn't be interested for the above reasons unless as I say Steve Coppell was a close friend of someone at the club.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we can get someone, but I honestly think these days pro teams are reluctant unless lower league opposition have high quality pitches.

Geggy

Fair comments. Ok if we can't get pro teams can we at least get a couple friendlies against a couple of leagues above us like from any of the conference leagues?