Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Formation

I was thinking about the formation we've played in our last match (5 - 3 - 2). In my opinion we looked better going forward against yeovil than we have for a while, but our defence still needs tightening.

I just wanted to know what people think the better formation for us to play. I'd say on the evidence of the last two games the 5 - 3 - 2 is the better as although we are still leaking goals, we're getting forward more and looking much more dangerous. Anyone have any thoughts?

i think that if you remember rightly we played the same formation at margit away,we didnt do so well there. I agree it worked well against yeovil,maybe the players were more used to it or something. It does help us in the fact we SHOULD(in theory) stop conceding so many goals but with that system we have conceded 8 in 2, this may just be because we had a bad day(margit) and played a good side(yeovil) and missed burton. It also does look promising going forward and tos seemed to love it,i think that andy should give it a go,maybe in the cup matches to give it a chance if he doesnt want to risk it in league matches(though he's already "risked" it twice).

C'mon fleet!

I'm not so sure. In the end it's up to Andy to make the decisions, but I cant help wondering that with a 5-3-2 we are not creating enough chances to score goals in the first place. perhpas that is where the problem lies, and not in the defence? if we are playing a defensive formation surely that is allowing teams to attack us. mayb eif the midfield was bigger, ie 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, the game wud be more balanced in the midfield. this would mean less pressure on the defence (where mistakes are inevitable under pressue at any level) and possibly more chances for the strikers. but then again I havent been to the matches for a few weeks, so maybe i am a bit wrong....

4-4-2

Against Yeovil the players undoubtedly raised their game for the occassion whereas Margit in a much valued 6 pointer we just couldnt do a thing. I would say we must start at the back with a 4-4-2 and the attackers willl still be able to work when we are confident enough of pushing out.

The simple reason why we played so well against Yeovil is that our players save their best performances for the best teams. Unfortunately, we were never likely to beat Yeovil, but had the players put that much effort into the games against Margate, Telford and Forest Green we may have emerged victorious. I think, therefore, although we should approach each game with optimism, the players should save their best performances for teams we may be able to beat.

On the subject of formations, a 4-4-2 is the way forward as I feel a wing-back system can leave us vulnerable at the back at times. Also, it is important to start with Tostao whenever he is fit to bring some excitement and attacking instinct to the game.