Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Towners 0 -1 Maldon

Mr Happy

"The rest have all stayed quiet."

I don't think I have stayed quiet I said I listened to the chant decided I had had enough too and joined in with it.

Bryan has on occasion come close to confrontation with me in the Brimsdown car park before (after things I have said on here) but changed his mind so he knows who I am. Brutus knows who I am too.

Now I was talking to officials of another club who at half-time were extremely bemused and told me what they thought the problem was with our attack. So if other clubs can see, why are we so blind? Because it is complicated with personal loyalties. As Chopper says get over it.

We ourselves once chuckled at other clubs problems with family members who are perceived to be selected because of ownership issues I'm disappointed with the board that we ever went down a similar cul de sac and hope they will think carefully about any future signings.

If SoB can let us know in good time whether the Inner Circle will welcome us at future games?

Like Arsene Wenger I never saw anything on Saturday. I actually think that the majority of the team were poor on Saturday, so to single out Bryan would be unfair. Despite the fact I have my doubts about Bryan and his position in the team I have never resorted to personal insults on a Saturday afternoon.

Gazza, once again we find ourselves in agreement. Although no one would be happier if Jim proved me wrong. I will raise one thing though. Would we already be in a higher league if we had changed managers already. Would say a Andy Leese (just a name at random) have got us promoted last year? Yes Jim as got us one promotion since our formation but would another manager have got us more?

We will never know.

It is my view that Jim has done us proud and I am happy with him at the moment. He told us what he wanted to achieve this season and it seems to me he is on course for it.

One more thing our budget is not as high as many other clubs and the club is run on the proverbial shoe string. Would a change of manager, who would have to be paid for, make a difference with even less money available.

Originally Posted By: andyetfc
Originally Posted By: Mr Happy
The only player I heard being singled out was Bryan Hammett and I heard no actual abuse. Yes, some fans were chanting that he got picked because his father is the assistant manager but that is not abuse. If anyone was using abusive language towards Bryan then they should have been warned by the stewards and ejected if their behaviour did not improve. HOwever, once again, I heard no actual abuse and was standing fairly close to you.

'Should have been ejected by the stewards!' I go back to my original statement of 'self policing'. Why did people who were concerned not do something about the issue at the time?

Three stewards to assist Dave with a gate of over 250, who prepared the pitch, manned the gates, sold GG tickets, missed some of the game, as usual, and then cleared up afterwards. If stewards are there to warn people of their behaviour as well as everything else whilst others stand around doing very little, then I am afraid to say that it won't be long before I withdraw my services. Us few cannot be held responsible for everything that goes on at the club on a matchday!

I think you have hit the nail right on the head Andy. There are far too many people whinging & not enough people doing. I think if we could get a few more people on board it would make life a hell of a lot easier for all of us.

I know it would make my life easier, at least it wopuld mean that I would be able to see a bit more of our Safety Officer then.

flowersmile

Originally Posted By: Sponsor of Beer
[quote

If SoB can let us know in good time whether the Inner Circle will welcome us at future games?

Its surely more important that you give the alleged inner circle an undertaking that you won't make offensive comments at players or their families at future games. Can you do that?

Can the Inner Circle promise that we will win the playoff? Can't promise not to be disappointed!

Can the Management promise to field 11 players and 5 subs every game? Can Management promise to win cup matches? Thought not - Can't promise not to be disappointed. So I'm not prepared to make promises I can't guarantee!

Can the muppet at the side of the pitch stop ranting at the ref and lino for the whole of the match about every little thing? Unlikely. Does it bother me no I find it part of a match entertainment.

I remember a comment made by a player relaid to me secondhand so wording will not be perfect. "Doesn't it bother you when the fans are rude to you at ETFC?" "No after being at ... (where they are much worse) it is not a big issue."

RnR, you and others continue (deliberately?) to miss the point. The comments made at Saturday's game were upsetting to a player and his family. They are members of ETFC, in the same way that you are. That makes it unacceptable in itself.

The collective refusal to acknowledge that individual's were in the wrong is unfortunate, but not altogether surprising. Furthermore to act as both judge and jury on their own standards of behaviour and justification of & for them is even worse, in my personal opinion.

I'll start a new thread on the hypocrisy of this behaviour shortly. This is far from over.

......The spiteful abuse (and it was abuse, whichever way you construe it) that was meted out to Bryan and his family, was totally undeserved.....

Well it took the best part of three days, and a couple of prompts but at last we get the name of the "abused" player only now, THREE days later, its alleged his family were abused too!

SoB can I ask if you witnessed this abuse, why you did not confront the individuals & ask them to refrain, I can assure you that if I heard the level of abuse you claim to have done I would certainly of had a word.

As for Southport getting a phone call regarding this on Saturday night, I find that outrageous, what on earth is that all about?

My call to Southport was an early attempt to put this to bed. The point is that it was only after the game that the effect of what had been said became clear.

And yes, I certainly did 'have a word'; several in fact.

Elsewhere Mr Happy has responded appropriately. All it needs is for others to do the same, and we can move on.

Most of the talk in this thread is about who said what to who, rather than the game itself. Which sums Saturday up rather neatly.

Just one look at the teamsheet as I walked past told me we were going to do extremely well to score. And so it proved.

Nobody could have forseen that Opoka would be recalled, that Braithwaite would be unavailable and that Crace would get injured in the pre-match warm-up. If just 1 of those 3 had played it might have been a different story. Take 3 strikers out of the 4 that are at nearly all clubs and they would ALL struggle!! Come on people!! It was a Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events!! I can't see any point in casting around for somebody to heap all the blame on.

Of far more concern to me is the apparent division building between some "hard core" supporters. Now THAT is a worry. The only thing keeping this club going is its hard core supporters.

I hope tonight's game is postponed, giving us a chance to get some of our strikers back.

As for the re-appearance of the "Sack Jim" issue, he has already made his position clear. If we don't make the play-offs, he will step aside. I don't see the need for any further debate. A change of manager now, at this critical stage of the season, would be ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: bjr
Most of the talk in this thread is about who said what to who, rather than the game itself. Which sums Saturday up rather neatly.

Just one look at the teamsheet as I walked past told me we were going to do extremely well to score. And so it proved.

Nobody could have forseen that Opoka would be recalled, that Braithwaite would be unavailable and that Crace would get injured in the pre-match warm-up. If just 1 of those 3 had played it might have been a different story. Take 3 strikers out of the 4 that are at nearly all clubs and they would ALL struggle!! Come on people!! It was a Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events!! I can't see any point in casting around for somebody to heap all the blame on.

Of far more concern to me is the apparent division building between some "hard core" supporters. Now THAT is a worry. The only thing keeping this club going is its hard core supporters.

I hope tonight's game is postponed, giving us a chance to get some of our strikers back.

As for the re-appearance of the "Sack Jim" issue, he has already made his position clear. If we don't make the play-offs, he will step aside. I don't see the need for any further debate. A change of manager now, at this critical stage of the season, would be ridiculous.

Nuff said applause applause applause

My call to Southport was an early attempt to put this to bed. The point is that it was only after the game that the effect of what had been said became clear....

Two things,
1.You say....."an early attempt to put it to bed" when surely you raised it, it need not have been blown out of all proportion as I believe it has been.

2.What is this "effect of what had been said became clear" quote about? all a bit dramatic.

I continue to disagree. It was obvious that the comments made during the game on Saturday were offensive to Bryan, and Peter. But it was only after the game that the full extent of their effect on Bryan, Peter and Hillary became clear. It was for that reason, and in anticipation that Southport would have not only not known this but would have been concerned to learn about it, that I called him. His post elsewhere earlier today was very much a reflection of is response to my suggestion that an apology was required.

Victimising, harassing or bullying are not adult ways to behave, moreso when its by a small group of ETFC Members on others.

Southport's post paints him as a hypocrite. Does anybody really think that his claimed affection for free speech would be permitted if somebody popped into the Old Wheatsheaf, bought a pint and started to loudly criticise Southport's family or his ability to do his job - because that's exactly what he was doing on Saturday- I don't think so somehow!

At the same time of course he, and others I guess, seek to retain the right to behave in the same way at the next and every subsequent game as it suits. Can that be right?

What effect on Bryan, Peter & Hilary?

So they said they were upset by comments they heard, (that it appears were not aggresive in any way)does that really warrant phone calls to supporters, ramblings on the website & drawn out allegations on here?

No I dont think so and it appears nor do the majority on here.

Sticks & stones as my dear old Nan use to say, sticks & stones.