Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Good Friday - Good or bad?

With all the recent verbal infighting within our supporter base it seems that everyone has overlooked the fact that the Easter fixture against Tilbury has been brought forward 24 hours. Prior to the recent shenanigans the fixture move to Good Friday would have caused a deluge of postings asking why, as a supporter-owned club, we the supporters were not asked for our views about the alteration.

IMO it's a great change as I can now see both my teams over the Easter weekend. How about everyone else?

Don't feel totally comfortable with football matches being played on Good Friday. It is one of the most important days in our country's national religion. I realise that not everyone has any religious convictions at all but I do feel that Good Friday should be given greater respect. A good compromise would be to make it an evening game say 4pm or later. A 3pm kick off, in my mind, is not right.

Originally Posted By: Mr Happy
Don't feel totally comfortable with football matches being played on Good Friday. It is one of the most important days in our country's national religion. I realise that not everyone has any religious convictions at all but I do feel that Good Friday should be given greater respect.

I do know what you mean Mr. Happy – I still think football should always be played at 3pm on a Saturday or 7.30pm on a Tuesday or Wednesday night!

Do you remember how controversial it was when Sunday matches first introduced in the in the 80s? When YCFC played their first Sunday game v Scunthorpe United, entry was free but you were only allowed in if you bought a programme which was, coincidently the same price as normal entry fee for a match.

The weird thing is with the UK we’re one of the least religious countries in Europe yet places like Italy, Spain and Portugal all play their games on Sunday!

Originally Posted By: The Horse'sMouth
Don't give a t*ss

Perfect summary THM.

I will still be there, after hopefully enjoying 9 holes before hand & spending about 3 hours at work in the early hours.
Just another Saturday to me.

Then same again Monday I hope!

Originally Posted By: Southport - TOWNER
Originally Posted By: Squadron Leader
Was'nt too pleased at first, but at least it now means that I'll be able to spend most of the weekend with Safety Officer!!!

angel2

and how does he feel about that? bet he cud crucify the fixture sec hanged

behead

giggle

Originally Posted By: Duke of York
The weird thing is with the UK we’re one of the least religious countries in Europe yet places like Italy, Spain and Portugal all play their games on Sunday!

Germany is not all that religious, but somehow the politicians still manage to stop anything happening on a Sunday. The current situation is that the Bundesliga plays one match on the Friday evening, two matches at 5 p.m. on the Sunday, and the rest at 3.30 p.m. on the Saturday. The second Bundesliga plays most of its matches on the Sunday, and one match is held over to Monday evening to be shown live on television. The lower leagues also play most of their matches on the Sunday. However, no matches at all are played on Good Friday. Even the fun fair which used to have a lot of visitors on Good Friday thirty years ago has been closed on that day for some years now. As for Xmas, the Bundesliga is in the middle of the Winter break, but in England matches are no longer played on Xmas Day, and even Boxing Day matches are not quite the crowd puller they used to be.