Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

10 debut albums better than 101 Damnations by Carter

Off the top of my head...<p>* Definitely Maybe by Oasis

* The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses

* Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morrisette

* The La's by The La's

* Please Please Me by The Beatles

* Life by Inspiral Carpets

* The Smiths by The Smiths

* Some Friendly by The Charlatans

* Leisure by Blur

* K by Kula Shaker<p>(Put the last one in for you, GHA)<p>[ 26 March 2002: This message was edited by: Colin Zeal EFM ]</p>

For starters off the top of my head:<p>High Rise - High Rise 2

Throbbing Gristle - Second Annual Report

Nurse With Wound - Chance Meeting on A Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

Anti-Pop Consortium - Tragic Epiologue

Venetian Snares - Doll Doll Doll

Big Black - Atomizer

Mainliner - Mainliner

Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

Magical Power Mako - Magical Power

Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy

Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly

Fugs - First Album

Congos - The Heart of the Congos

Culture - Two Sevens Clash

Autechre - Amber

Boards of Canada - Music has the right to Children

Mum - Yesterday was Dramatic, Tomorrow is ok<p>... the list, to be fair, is endless. Perhaps it would be easier to compile as list of debut albums that were worse. + didn't Jamie Wednesday release an album first?

Further suggestions:<p>Led Zeppelin 1

Bleach - Nirvana

Surfer Rosa - The Pixies

In The City - The Jam

A Catholic Education - Teenage Fanclub

ZZ Top's First Album

Whatever the following debut LP releases were by any of the following: Bucks Fizz, Keith Harris & Orville, Ralph McTell, Leo Sayer, Poison, TV Chef Rustie Lee, Christopher Biggins.<p>End of debate.

A Little man and a house and the whole world window - Cardiacs,

or, though cassette only still a debut (1984) and still undisputably the greatest album of all time,

"the seaside" Cardiacs.<p>Big giraffes eat leaves and they run oh so very fast,

if you wanted to catch one, you would have to take a car. CHECK IT OUT TEENYBOPPERS!!!!

As I also have a Cardiacs record (although off the top of my head i couldn't say which one)

I feel I can talk music, Colin Zeal as normal has picked a whole stack of mainstream indie bands and referred to them.<p>A few points:

Please Please Me was the first boyband album and therefore set a presidence for the likes of Push by Bros.

Would Alanis's first album had sold so many copies if Miss Morrisette wasn't on the blob or single at the time of penning it.

Insiral carpets aren't as good as the Clint Boon Experiance (whomn I performed with!)

Oasis and Stone Roses I agree with.

The La's and Krapper Shaker hardly followed up with a string of great albums did they whereas Carter USM followed up with 30 Something, 1992 - The love album and Worry Bomb to name but three, class is perminant, form is temperary (mind you the second coming by the roses was crap!)

Ash, Idlewild and RATM never released a bad record, nor did Carter USM

Teenage Fanclub would of sold a lot mare records if they kept their original name - Teenage Fanny (true!)

Jamie Wednesday only released two singles - We three kings of orient aren't and vote for love!

And as the Cardiacs and a whole stack of obscure metal bands are being mentioned, I suggest you check out some of the following obscure indie bands for some real quality (there's life outside the Top 10 Colin Zeal)<p>New Fast Automatic Daffodils, Paris Anglels, Feild Mice, A Certain Ratio, Spearmint, Brassy, Twist, The Invisisables, Jims Super Stereoworld, Abdoujaparov, Family Cat.<p>And stacks more that I'm sure I will post when I've remembered them!<p>Oh yes and Chas'n'Dave are still going!

Somebody once told me that they'd sold more of the 101 damnations T-Shirts than albums! Still a good un though. Also: New Boots and Panties - Ian Dury and the Blockheads. The Clash - The Clash, Sunshine Hit Me - The Bees, Experience - The Prodigy, Cold Water Music - Aim, Young Team - Mogwai.<p>Alanis Morisette is Evil, come the revolution she'll be first against the wall.

Would someone mind explaining to me what is pretentious about the artists I selected? For a truly pretentious list, see below:<p>Dinosaur Jr - "Dinosaur" or "You're Linving All Over Me" (which one you class as their debut album is open to debate).<p>Firehose - "Ragin', Full On"<p>Iron Butterfly - "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"<p>Blind Faith - "Blind Faith"<p>Husker Du - "Flip Your Wig"<p>The Wonderstuff - "8 Legged Groove Machine"<p>And so on and so forth. I don't think they made too many band t-shirts back in the days of Iron Butterfly. I daresay they were all too busy getting stoned and, ahem, "grooving out".