Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bad News

Castle leaves post at Cambridge

Assistant manager Steve Castle has left Cambridge United. Castle, who joined the U's with Quinn last September, has been released from his contract by mutual consent to take up a job offer elsewhere.

The St Albans Observer today includes the following quote from Gibbo, speaking following the suggetsion that Steve Castle [who is described in the piece as "the club's Youth Team manager"] is tipped to take charge of the 'reformed' Reserve side next season and any new manager will have the club's management team imposed upon him rather than to choose his own staff:

"We have a very good relationship with Oaklands College and Steve [Castle] has played a major role in that. They like him and we like him to so it would be silly to change that."

Colin Lippiatt doesn't appear to fully and completely support his former Chairman 110%, and may not be among the "we", as he is then quoted:

"John has got his priorities wrong. At a football club, the manager should be in control of, and decide who, runs the Reserve team and the football side of the club - not the other way round."

Surely, we're this isn't the same Steve Castle who guided City to 20th position in the old Ryman League and who was adrift at the bottom of the Conf South the following season?

Maybe he's had an offer from, say, Ely City!

The amount of training and periods of rest may be one of the reasons for the season of unparalleled success that Cambridge United have enjoyed Rob. Just missed out on promotion, winning three knock-out cups and a place in Europe.

Err... No. wait, hang on a minute....

Castle as manager?

This would be a disaster. Why the [****!!****] would you do that? Surely Gibson cannot be that stupid?

The offical line was he's left Cambridge to go to a 'more lucrative post outside the conference', now the only rumours I've heard about him getting near the club is running the reserve team (also a mistake) you telling me that a conference south reserve team pays more than a conference assistant manager?

If he's here then he's here on good cash doing the top job!

At least it's lowered my expectations, from thinking we could be a play off team I'd settle for 2nd from bottom now....

Actually I may just not bother going again!

Well, he was part-time at Cambridge United, EFMTFTV, and, presumably his role as The Mighty Saints "Youth Team manager" has also been part-time, as is the running the PASE set-up at Oaklands College, I imagine, as presumably will be the job of running the 'reformed' Reserves side at t'Park next season.

"They [Oaklands College] like him and we like him so it would be silly to change that."

Hmmmnnn.

He's a proven bad manager!

We are assuming that he's coming to City and therefore jumping the gun. As Thornsey has said, Gibbo isn't stupid so it's unlikely to be the case.

Maybe he's off to AFC Wimbledon. Their manager left yesterday (I think).

So many questions, GHA.

First one. If he's been at Oaklands College for a couple of years, he has probably picked up how to milk cows and drive a tractor.

Second one. Tom Beech. I wonder if he has a contract somewhere for next season.

Originally Posted By: GHA EFM
Laz. After Castle's 'tenure' as manager, did he or did he not stay on as coach of the PASE side (the 'future' of SACFC?!) ? Even though, in your words, he's 'a proven bad manager.'

Clearly, he did. I don't want to comment about the PASE side as I'm too sure where it fits in with City. It's difficult to know if he's doing a good job there or not.