Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Celebrity Squares

How was the Celebrity XI game? I see the Saints won 3 – 1 but I’ve no idea who scored or who lined up for City or for the Celebrity XI.

Judging from Leigh’s photos from the game the fixture was not very well supported which is a great shame for the club and Grove House Hospice. There was a golden opportunity missed here to create a greater awareness of the club within the city. The new commercial team are going to have to become a little bit more media savvy if they want to communicate with new supporters and casual fans of other clubs to make a success of opportunities like this.

I gather that the Celebs starting line-up was Paul Hyde, Jeff Brazier, Phil Gridelet, Derek Payne, Geoff Howlett, Alan Paris, Wayne someone, Darren Campbell, Dave Regis and Kevin Lam. Second-half appearances were made by Peter Risley, Allan Cockram and two of the PASE players, Chris Haslam and Tagana James.

[i don't have Sky TV and I've never seen, or actually heard of, the TV programme from which the mega-stars come, so most of those names don't mean much to me.]

There was someone or other from Amersham Town too.

It's a little different from the list in the website...

Luther Blisset, Nigel Gibbs, Graham Stuart (ex-Chelsea), Warren Barton (ex-Newcastle etc), Steve Sedgeley (ex Spurs), Iwan Thomas MBE & Darren Campbell, Nigel Winterburn, D J Spooney, Scott Oakes, John Dreyer, Cyrille Regis, Jez Edwards, Mike McLean, Jeff Brazier, Colin Salmon, Alan Parris, Jeff Hamlett.

I'd say the crowd was about 300.

Originally Posted By: AFF
£2000+ raised for Grove House Hopsice, then. Well done to everyone.

I thought the entrance fee was going towards the squad this season. Wasn't there an interview with "the Biscuit" in the paper about it a week or two ago?

From the original posting on the website:

Admission is £10.00 Adults, £5.00 Concessions and £3.00 Juniors and we will be supporting Grove House Hospice in St Albans as our chosen charity.

I thought the gansta was brought in for his contacts, what with that team line up !

Posted on here on July 6th by Webbo on the 'Celebrity' match thread:

"seeing all profits goto charity... err no!"

I'm glad we've cleared that up.

This seems to have been taken as an opportunity to criticise the signing of MC 'Colourful' Harvey on the other site, and, whatever my views of the player, I don't see that as justified. I could bang on about the cult and nature of 'celebrity' in the 21st Century but I can't really be bothered. What did people expect? Was the crowd swelled by thousands who paid their tenner expecting to see Warren Barton, Les Ferdinand and John Wark - fine players what they once were? Did anyone ask for their money back?

There has also been muted criticism of the new Commercial team. I gather that they were only appointed last week and they have a very steep learning curve to climb. Ask Duke of York! Give 'em a chance.

Two or three thousand pounds was raised for Grove House Hospice on Sunday and it seems to me that everyone concerned should be satisfied with the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes with doing good things.