Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

can we play away for a while please...

Uncle Urchin

another one of those days at the old stadium where the team just couldn't get going against a big and strong northwood team woefully short on ideas themselves....

went behind against the run of play to sloppy defending and a striker 5 yards offside with the lino 10 yards behind the line and that was that in a very low tempo and very flat first half....much better tempo in the second as we went 2-1 up with goals from joey keith and simon parks only to concede a sloppy freekick with 5 mins to go which was ably converted as we stood and watched it fly majestically into the net...

parks goal was sublime and so its onwards to a replay on tuesday at northwood where hopefully we will get a grip on the opposition early and make the territorial posesssion we will undoubtedly get pay...no complaints however and well done to northwood who were rightly pleased with their efforts......

urchins MOM shane oakley (first full game and did well) and northwoods MOM their centre back No 5...

Were Northwood any good? We played them in the league on the opening day of the season and they wern't that impressive.

Hopefully you'll finish the job off on Tuesday night but Northwood isn't the greatest place to go to on a cold November night.

A fair summary. We were woeful, no ideas and most importantly for me, a real lack of spirit in the side. John Purdie lead the back four well, but outside of him I felt we lacked true grit.

But, this game should never have come down to that, we have the quality in our ranks to put a side like Northwood away without fuss, but we made a mess of things and they deserved a replay. In my mind, we saw 4 shots on goal in the whole game and they all went in.

I truly hope we can get that urchins endeavour back asap as it is this combined with our quality that will see us rise up the league and make further progress in the cup. Back to Northwood on Tuesday it is then.

One more thing. I watched the Arsenal Man U game last night. The summary by Hansen was spot on, commenting on the ability of both teams to play a good passing game, ball on the ground for long periods. Aside of the fact that they both have wonderful players, it is how the game is meant to be, but it seems at our level managers are afraid in case poor passing is punished, so put the ball long as quickly as possible to avoid such errors.

Quite a sad indictment of the players who in my view are more than capable of playing the beautiful game. Having watched the wombles twice last season, I fully expect them to employ a more purist oriented game on us, so we will have to be very very good to make sure we come away with a result of sorts.

If anyone is thinking twice about going, dont. It is the best non league game there is. They will have around 2,600 there to watch and they make loads and loads of noise. We will have to be at our vocal best to make an impact and that requires numbers. If we're on form, we will have a brilliant day. So lets sing our hearts out for the lads. Remember Boston away? Arlesey etc. That will give us parity. Ave it.