Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 17-October 17 )

• Photo
    oliPFC

• Photo
    walker1710

• Photo
    twopintstom

• Photo
    atlantis77

• Photo
    sting in the tail

• Photo
    haynab66

• Photo
    NEW BOY BLUE

Photo

April 1st Already?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
14 replies to this topic

offline ronin

ronin
  • First XI - Permanent

Top clubs consider overseas games
Breaking news
The English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport has learned.

At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at venues around the world, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

http://news.bbc.co.u...rem/7232390.stm

offline YELLOW

YELLOW
  • First XI Coach
  • Supports: Canvey Island, West Ham
  • Foes: Billericay, Concord, Southend, Spurs, Chelsea
  • Fav. Player(s): Mo Diame, Paolo Di Canio, Carlton Cole, Kevin Nolan, Jay Curran, Kevin Dobinson, Lionel Messi
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football, drinking.
What a stupid idea. Do we have to copy everything the Americans do?!!!

offline Exile

Exile
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
hmmm so the answer to fixture congestion is to create more fixtures. Errr...If this goes through then it would mark the end of the Worthless League Cup or whatever it's called this season and could reduce the FA Cup to a reserve team competition as far as the top clubs are concered (for those that don't already treat it like one). Have to ask where is the FA in all this - why don't they nip it in the bud ? Or maybe the Premier League runs the FA...Think we could kiss goodbye to any hopes of international success if this harebrained scheme goes ahead. We might get lucky though and find FIFA regulations prevent it...

offline Mini Goose

Mini Goose
  • Reserves Coach
I can't see it happening personally.

offline Mini Goose

Mini Goose
  • Reserves Coach
I reckon that by them trying to make football better they are going to make it worse. I don't think there is anything wrong with the premiership (well not much) but they are going to ruin it. Can't just leave things alone can they.

offline The Great Eckscape

The Great Eckscape
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
  • rank
  • Supports: Canvey Island, Tottenham Hotspur
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football, Cricket, Boxing, Speedway
Am I the only one who thinks it's quite a good idea!?

The Premiership if a huge international brand, and the only way to push this even further is to try things like this.

Imagine, Bolton v Reading at the Maracana, magic...

offline Mini Goose

Mini Goose
  • Reserves Coach
Do we need to push this even further though?

offline The Great Eckscape

The Great Eckscape
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
  • rank
  • Supports: Canvey Island, Tottenham Hotspur
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football, Cricket, Boxing, Speedway
Big businesses never rest with what they've got

offline ronin

ronin
  • First XI - Permanent
If football was run purely as a business there would be a lot less clubs around.

offline CIFC JACKO

CIFC JACKO
  • Reserves
i think that it is a good idea but it doesnt help with the so called fixture congestion does it

offline YELLOW

YELLOW
  • First XI Coach
  • Supports: Canvey Island, West Ham
  • Foes: Billericay, Concord, Southend, Spurs, Chelsea
  • Fav. Player(s): Mo Diame, Paolo Di Canio, Carlton Cole, Kevin Nolan, Jay Curran, Kevin Dobinson, Lionel Messi
  • Fav. Sport(s): Football, drinking.
Now Premier league clubs from next season can name 7 substitutes on the bench instead of the current 5. All change!!!

offline yellow angel

yellow angel
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
This is all about money - big business - it has absolutely nothing to do with what is best for English football. The days of football clubs belonging to the local populace are rapidly declining, clubs like Man U are run more like multinational companies than a footie club from Manchester.
People frequently ask me which premiership club i support, my answer? None of 'em! They are all too far removed from what the game used to be about! Some non league clubs manage to retain the spirit of local community, but most clubs at that level are struggling to get a decent gate as the next generation of "fans" prefer to sit in the pub watching sky and supporting Brand Arsenal etc (in their replica shirts of course). The plan to take the premiership to truly global proportions by playing some games abroad just widens the gulf between genuine supporters and the clubs they have traditionally supported. Can it be stopped? I somehow doubt it. Should it be stopped? I suspect a wide variety of opinions on that..... And who knows maybe one day there wont even be a need for "Fans" to be present at the games in this country, everyone will be glued to the big screen - Stella in hand eek

offline LOS

LOS
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
Brilliant Yellow Angel. Spot on.

Although I think its a great idea for Premiership Football Roadshows ala Formula 1 - Its all geared to sell more shirts, and incremental sponsorship revenues. But The Premiership is England's best export......(currently of course, NOTHING will ever top our language.)

West Ham v Chelsea in Shanghai has a certain appeal....but as you quite rightly point out, the focus is only about the commerical interests of clubs. What they'll gain with one hand they'll lose in another - genuine fans & sustainable roots will wither.

The futures bright, the futures non-league.

offline Yellow Bungle

Yellow Bungle
  • First XI - Sub
Definitely against FIFA regs. Will be interesting to see if they take their 30 pieces of silver or if we have a clash. Could be the end of international football as we know it.

offline Ribbit

Ribbit
  • Reserves Coach
Originally Posted By: YELLOW
Now Premier league clubs from next season can name 7 substitutes on the bench instead of the current 5. All change!!!

It's about time, too.

As for taking the Premiership abroad; it's a idiotic idea. If they want to play across the world every other week then they should create an international league system. I'd still be against it, but it'd be a lot easier to swallow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus