Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Good Luck Tonight v. Wingate

Benjrider10

I watch football from the side of the pitch as I like to see good wing play. There is nothing better than seeing two players linking on the wing and delivering a cross from the byline or cutting inside and leaving the defence flat footed.

At Finchley I went behind the goal. Not only because it was raining but from the side I don't think I saw one single cross at goal let only get to the byline.

There were times in the first half when the Finchley goalkeeper had the ball and the players lined up as though it was a junior school football match. Nobody out wide waiting to pick up a loose ball. Perhaps the players don't have the confidence in each other to win tackles or intercept passes. I think there was one defence splitting pass in the whole game.

What I saw for a good 70 minutes was a defence, for the most part, able and in control looking pitifully for the outball. Towards the end of the game we started spreading the ball wide and looked far better. We became more mobile with the substitutions and then used the flanks.

Here we are 8 games in and we still don't know our best formation. We were playing better earlier in the season and seem to be going backwards.

I disagree somewhat Barney.One of the main reasons that Andy was chosen as our new manager was his perceived ability to put together a quality squad at short notice. (Just as Brad Quinton has done at Braintree).Andy's little black book of quality players at this level was one of the main reasons he was chosen as our new manager. Even though there were more exciting but less experienced applicants for the job.Quinton has had to do exactly the same as Andy this season.Put together quickly a completely new squad derived from ex-players from his previous club.The only difference is they those players at Braintree are all playing up a level rather than at the same level.

Also we don't have a mid-table budget.We are in the top 8 of budget and attendences in the league.Anything other than top half will be under achieving this season,even with a new squad.These players are probably being payed more than last seasons players.So should we expect poorer players and poorer standard of skill level that last season?..Saying that,i'm one for giving managers plenty of time to prove themselves,so i wouldnt want to see any change in management during the season,unless relegation became a serious threat.

I disagree somewhat Barney.One of the main reasons that Andy was chosen as our new manager was his perceived ability to put together a quality squad at short notice. (Just as Brad Quinton has done at Braintree).Andy's little black book of quality players at this level was one of the main reasons he was chosen as our new manager. Even though there were more exciting but less experienced applicants for the job.Quinton has had to do exactly the same as Andy this season.Put together quickly a completely new squad derived from ex-players from his previous club.The only difference is they those players at Braintree are all playing up a level rather than at the same level.

Also we don't have a mid-table budget.We are in the top 8 of budget and attendences in the league.Anything other than top half will be under achieving this season,even with a new squad.These players are probably being payed more than last seasons players.So should we expect poorer players and poorer standard of skill level that last season?..Saying that,i'm one for giving managers plenty of time to prove themselves,so i wouldnt want to see any change in management during the season,unless relegation became a serious threat.

LS now involved in recruitment and selection of managers with little black books. Used to be just a humble supporter on the terraces.

Archived